Sponsored by:

I got pulled over yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:33 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default I got pulled over yesterday...

So the wife and I are driving to Telluride yesterday and a car flashes me, signaling something ahead. We were just cruising along so no worries. We pass a LEO and he immediately pulls out and there go the lights.

On this road there are two options to pull over. I could pull on the side next to traffic, but that sucks for him. I know I wouldn't want to be standing on the side of the road with trucks flying by. The other option was to pull over in a gravel area, which is not good for me. I chose gravel, prioritizing his safety over my car.

He walks up to the driver's side and I smile and say "hi officer, how's it going." He says, Hi, I stopped you for no plate. I told him I had ordered the plate holder to attach to the tow hook, but it hadn't come in yet. I told him I really didn't want to drill holes in the bumper.

He agreed that he wouldn't do that either, and said no problem, I am just going to give you a warning. Let me just make sure everything checks out. I will be back in a minute.

I guess I should mention that the GoPro was recording the whole time, and I have one camera pointed at the back. When I get home I will see how good it looks!

He walks back to me after 3 or 4 minutes, hands me my license and says "Just one thing. Can you tell me...are those wheels stock?"

LOL

I get out of the car and we shoot the **** about the GT3 for 10 minutes, talking about the options I have, how she handles, his police car, it's horsepower (365), his kids, ours, etc. The only thing missing was beer. At the end we shake hands, and I wave goodbye as I leave.

Porsche. There is no substitute.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:46 AM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:07 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He clearly was a car guy. Well done.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

LOVE it.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:27 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Must have already met his quota for the month
J
Old 05-14-2016, 01:28 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Very nice. There are some good ones out there.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:38 PM
phillyred79
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious... Was it the state police/sheriff or a town cop? In my experience it has always been either a State Patrol officer or a Sheriff. The warning thing only lasts for so long after repeated offenses.. Especially if it's the same cop who pulls you over!
Old 05-14-2016, 03:27 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to ever install a front plate
Old 05-14-2016, 04:10 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's cool.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Gotboost?
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome!
I recently got pulled over for jumping into the carpool lane crossing a double white line. Got pulled over by Hwy Patrol. After a pleasant conversation, he goes back and starts writing. I'm thinking he's writing me a moving violation ticket. He comes back and tells me it's my lucky day. Hands me a fix it ticket for no front plates. As he's starts to walk away, he says NICE CAR BTW.. THANK YOU OFFICER!!

Funnier part is I go to the local PD office to get the ticket signed off after putting the tow hitch license bracket on. Three officers huddle around the car. "Someone actually write you a ticket for no front plates on this car? Hwy Patrol huh?" All three officers laugh and one signs off and stamps it. One guy gestures to me to take the brackets off. "It looks terrible on this car". I said if I do, one of you guys will probably cite me the next time you see me. They all looked at each other and said "it won't be one of us. Not on a car like this."

The whole experience was a hassle, but met some pretty cool officers along the way..
Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by phillyred79
Curious... Was it the state police/sheriff or a town cop? In my experience it has always been either a State Patrol officer or a Sheriff. The warning thing only lasts for so long after repeated offenses.. Especially if it's the same cop who pulls you over!
State trooper.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:47 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

I live in NY which is a two plate state and my last 4 Porsches have been front plate less. I got pulled over once in 8 years and I think that had more to do with the hat I was wearing rather then not having a front plate.

Clearly that LEO was a Porsche lover and the no front plate gave him a good excuse to check out your GT3. Good story though.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Very nice. There are some good ones out there.
I really believe there are a lot of cool ones out there, but you have to get rid of the "wtf did I do" attitude. I go into every encounter assuming I am not going to get a ticket, unless I am doing something really dumb. The key to a good experience, in my opinion...

1. When those lights start flashing find somewhere safe for both of you. Make sure you put him in a good place. It makes for a more relaxed encounter.

2. Roll the window down before he gets to you. Then smile and say hello before he starts talking.

3. Just have a cool attitude. If this guy was going to let anyone off with a warning today, you are going to be that guy.

4. I don't use a radar detector. If you think about it, by having one you are basically saying you are cheating. They are not going to like that. I don't want to get things off on the wrong foot.

You are driving a very cool car. Maybe he's a car guy. Who knows. He surely doesn't pull many people over driving cars like these. Don't talk yourself into a ticket if you don't have to.

In any case, it was a cool encounter!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I really believe there are a lot of cool ones out there, but you have to get rid of the "wtf did I do" attitude. I go into every encounter assuming I am not going to get a ticket, unless I am doing something really dumb. The key to a good experience, in my opinion...

1. When those lights start flashing find somewhere safe for both of you. Make sure you put him in a good place. It makes for a more relaxed encounter.

2. Roll the window down before he gets to you. Then smile and say hello before he starts talking.

3. Just have a cool attitude. If this guy was going to let anyone off with a warning today, you are going to be that guy.

4. I don't use a radar detector. If you think about it, by having one you are basically saying you are cheating. They are not going to like that. I don't want to get things off on the wrong foot.

You are driving a very cool car. Maybe he's a car guy. Who knows. He surely doesn't pull many people over driving cars like these. Don't talk yourself into a ticket if you don't have to.

In any case, it was a cool encounter!
Totally agree Rob, I did the same when I got pulled over last summer. Unfortunately I received a minor ticket but all in all, I remained calm and polite.

Quick Reply: I got pulled over yesterday...