Sponsored by:

I got pulled over yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:58 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Totally agree Rob, I did the same when I got pulled over last summer. Unfortunately I received a minor ticket but all in all, I remained calm and polite.
That's really the best way to go, Bronson. They are just doing their job. Sometimes you are just going to get a ticket, no matter what. It happens. But on the other hand, let's not talk ourselves into a ticket, either.

I want to be that one guy they give a break to that day.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:19 PM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no "option" whether or not to have a front plate in Europe but my dealer solved the problem quite neatly. It was not something I had thought about but they didn't want to drill the bumper either so they used velcro tabs to fix the front plate. It's very secure but can be removed if desired. Seems like a neat solution.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Was pulled over 4 times in my 991 GT3.( 4 different cops in my town) No tickets but I was beginning to think they had it out for me. Once with my Father in it with me. He wanted to see what it could do

Always treated them with respect but they never hit me with their radar until after I slowed down because I could tell. The exhaust got their attention.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:51 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I really believe there are a lot of cool ones out there, but you have to get rid of the "wtf did I do" attitude. I go into every encounter assuming I am not going to get a ticket, unless I am doing something really dumb. The key to a good experience, in my opinion...

1. When those lights start flashing find somewhere safe for both of you. Make sure you put him in a good place. It makes for a more relaxed encounter.

2. Roll the window down before he gets to you. Then smile and say hello before he starts talking.

3. Just have a cool attitude. If this guy was going to let anyone off with a warning today, you are going to be that guy.

4. I don't use a radar detector. If you think about it, by having one you are basically saying you are cheating. They are not going to like that. I don't want to get things off on the wrong foot.

You are driving a very cool car. Maybe he's a car guy. Who knows. He surely doesn't pull many people over driving cars like these. Don't talk yourself into a ticket if you don't have to.

In any case, it was a cool encounter!
^This. These first responders have a very hard job, especially with the scrutiny these days as every move is now recorded on video. Like any other group there are fringes, however most LEOs are good guys/gals. I have been stopped twice in the last three years and after a nice chat about the cars was sent on my way with warnings.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just come back from a trip to Germany in the gt3 from the infamous ring (Germany) and travelling through Belgium at 85 mph got pulled over, I got 165 euro fine, a language barrier and a good cop bad cop routine, luckily I was as nice as possible and we shook hands with both officers and left.

There was talk of the car being confiscated as I didn't have the log book (title), my passport, my passengers and the driving license did the trick.

Phew.

Name:  image_zpsb8peezff.jpeg
Views: 312
Size:  134.3 KB

Carl
Old 05-15-2016, 02:54 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GianiCakes
There is no "option" whether or not to have a front plate in Europe but my dealer solved the problem quite neatly. It was not something I had thought about but they didn't want to drill the bumper either so they used velcro tabs to fix the front plate. It's very secure but can be removed if desired. Seems like a neat solution.
Do you have any pics on how it looks and how it's attached? Thank you in advance.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:34 PM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Sorry, don't have one to hand but can take one tomorrow if you like. All you see though is the metal plate as it requires no surround or holder. Velcro tabs are stuck to the back of the plate itself and 2 corresponding tabs to the front bumper, they then just stick together.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you not just buy a sticker plate like what I have?

Name:  image_zpsiqtyi2rl.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  129.3 KB

Carl
Old 05-15-2016, 05:01 PM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Not sure about the US but as far as I know they do not exist for CH, have to be the official metal ones. As a plus you can share them between 2 cars which reduces the overall road tax and insurance costs.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:03 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here in Ontario, Canada, must use original metal plates.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

funny...when I was pulled over in my 991 GTS, I got a speeding ticket....29 in a 25......yep. first and only speeding ticket....
Old 05-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm almost never pulled over in my Porsche, being a small black car I think helps keep me off the radar (detector helps too). However over the last 4 months i've been pulled over a total of 3 times in my GT350! No tickets. One cop even asked if I had it on the track and how it did at NOLA...funny conversation, cool guy. The last time was a bit more nerve-racking because I had just briefly wanted to hear 8,250rpm on an empty street at night which put me well over a 90mph in a 55mph - right as I did that a cop in the other direction flipped around and got me. He let me go with no tickets when he noticed some paratrooper plates, but he still tested me - Asked me what my units I had been in...almost like he wanted to make sure I wasn't some admin bitch lol. Then he asked what I do now. I told him vaguely what I do for a living and he handed back the license and said. "Keep your head out of your 5th point of contact" (airborne speak for your ***) - turns out he was in himself. Got lucky there!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 PM
AiRick
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

I have always wondered , here in Nevada a front plate is not required if the car did not come with a plate holder ( holes ) so If I were to drive to a state that requires 2 plates would I be ok with just the rear as a non resident ?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Para82
I'm almost never pulled over in my Porsche, being a small black car I think helps keep me off the radar (detector helps too). However over the last 4 months i've been pulled over a total of 3 times in my GT350! No tickets. One cop even asked if I had it on the track and how it did at NOLA...funny conversation, cool guy. The last time was a bit more nerve-racking because I had just briefly wanted to hear 8,250rpm on an empty street at night which put me well over a 90mph in a 55mph - right as I did that a cop in the other direction flipped around and got me. He let me go with no tickets when he noticed some paratrooper plates, but he still tested me - Asked me what my units I had been in...almost like he wanted to make sure I wasn't some admin bitch lol. Then he asked what I do now. I told him vaguely what I do for a living and he handed back the license and said. "Keep your head out of your 5th point of contact" (airborne speak for your ***) - turns out he was in himself. Got lucky there!
Cops hate giving tickets to anyone in the military. You have to REALLY screw up to get a ticket. Evidently 90 in a 55 doesn't qualify lol.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by AiRick
I have always wondered , here in Nevada a front plate is not required if the car did not come with a plate holder ( holes ) so If I were to drive to a state that requires 2 plates would I be ok with just the rear as a non resident ?
I am sure you'd be fine, but I would probably have something stating that with me.

Quick Reply: I got pulled over yesterday...