Sponsored by:

Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable

I see quite a few of our members have a laundry list of current cars in their signature, while others have owned a lot, but own one at a time. A lot of this is most likely either from financial constraints, space constraints, or how much the wife will put up with constraints.

Putting those constraints aside, do you prefer being a one car guy, or would you prefer to have multiple nice cars in your garage? On the surface I think the choice is obvious. More is better. But I also think you sacrifice something when you have a few really nice cars.

Time is clearly one problem. Due to many factors you might just have limited time to drive them. Splitting up that time amongst 3 or 4 cars might result in never really getting to know them. And then you have maintenance. Even if you aren't putting many miles on your stable of cars, they probably all need servicing annually. So that overhead cuts into your enjoyment time.

Obviously going out into your garage and seeing 3 (or 10!) amazing cars will put a smile on your face. But I wonder if you also give up a lot in the process of having that stable.

In contrast, you look at someone like Matt. He only has 2 cars, but you get the feeling he is really getting to know those two, and he is doing lots of big and little tweaks to make them both perfect - to him. But even with just 2, you can tell straight off that he has a favorite, and he spends more time in one of them. Of course, he also did just buy a bigger house, so maybe his plan is ultimately "stable" too.

I think most of us would want more cars, so on the surface this seems like a no brainier. But I suspect that overall enjoyment of the cars themselves, not considering the pride that owning so many cars brings, could be somehow less. I am sure there are a ton of variables at play.

In my case, we have two pretty nice cars. My wife's BMW 550i was bought one week after I got my GT3. Her car has 600 miles, while I have put 2,400 on mine. So clearly the 550 is taking a backseat right now. That will change, but even with two nice cars I see diminishing returns. Having said that, if we had the money and space for a 458, yeah I would go for it in a second. I am just not sure the joy I am receiving right now from my GT3 would be doubled by adding a 458. And more importantly, I wonder if my enjoyment of my GT3 might be reduced significantly if I added a 458?

For those who do have stables going, what are your thoughts on this? Has your overall enjoyment increased as your car stable grew, or are you seeing significant diminishing returns? And, is there a sweet spot in terms of number of cars owned vs. overall enjoyment?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:22 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a stable just the GT3 and an Altima lol, but when I have the income to get more cars and build a stable, I think the way I would like to go at it would be to get a car and enjoy it for a couple of years maybe 3 or 4 and then add on to it. That way you get to enjoy the car for atleast a couple of years as a main car and then when you add a new one you are still driving the old one but since you have already experienced it for a couple of years you get to really focus on the new one and not have to worry about splitting so much time between the different cars.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I've always maintained that 2 good sports cars is just right. Preferrably complete opposites with similar results. I get used to a car if I drive it everyday, having the different dynamics keeps them both more interesting and sort of magnifies each car's qualities (for me anyway).

Current pair for me is 997S + GT350. Probably will never really stray far from this formula.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I do agree that the downside, if you're a working man without unlimited time, is that you don't get to know each car as well as you might. But the upside, if you buy the right mix of cars, is a nice change of pace driving cars that each offer something different. If I were younger and not getting close to semi retirement/retirement where I'll have more time to drive, I might not own multiple cars.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:38 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

good topic.

for me it was long time one after the other - based on financial possibilities. as a young guy out of an average home which started to work 40-50h/week at 15 (now 28 years "old")...

things changed after my MBA, a lot of husteling, pulling 3 things parallel and of course a lot of luck nearly each day.

so i prefer (and i do) have 3-5 sports/weekend cars. all together i drive/race them around 10k miles p.a.
for dailydriving not more than 1 (2 for wife) needed.
this is for me an amount which you can be super happy with - and you will be able to handle all by yourself.

over 5 cars you will need a guy who is taking care of them. cleaning, maintaning,... and this will take a lot of bucks. or if you want to do it by your own: a lot of time - which you normally do not have, if you are selfmade and driven buy success - even if you could reduce office hours - you will not be happy with it if things are not moving fast... and you will lose the pleasure of it - if it is stressing yourself.
of course this is out of my eyes...

in a big city you have to pay around 6k p.a. per car just for the garage. on the country side maybe 0,5k p.a.
if you drive/race them you will need 15k p.a per car. if you just drive them 3times maybe 3k p.a.

i would say everybody would like to have a maximum amount of cars. a collection.
but unfortunatly is it always limited by $.

intersting would be why somebody do not would want as many cars as he can park/effort.
my only explination would be that he is not fully into cars.

i would own everything. oldtimer, youngtimer, brand new sport cars, F1 cars, trophy trucks,Renault 5 turbo,... everything.

daydream off.
hard work on!
Old 05-08-2016, 02:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Storage and maintenance is an issue-

But if you partner with someone or a few friends you can all afford a slice of a medium sized storage place. Problem solved.

Maintenance is an issue but by same logic you could pool resources and all hire a mechanic to keep them set. A retired mechanic that can make a little scratch working on 6-10 cars 2-3 days a week is definitely affordable for 3-4 guys to split.

Other issue is significant other- she might think you are a moron. But hey lots of fish in the sea.

Cash wise- just don't buy out of shape cars. If you are stabling a 993, a Gt3 etc they are not going to depreciate. Don't go buy a S63 amg and expect to make or keep money on it. ALSO- Don't be afraid to have a "regular car"- something like a mazda or ford or honda or whatever for city driving or picking people from the airport.

You will have to take risks to get your money back or make money on a car but it's a good risk if you spend enough time here (actually listening to the guys that get it) and you acquire cars responsibly. Don't overextend yourself but if someone offers you a super cheap (or way under market) GT3RS or something you will at least hold your cash in it.

People get super F'd on this subject when they only have one car and try to flip it and miss the market. Then you are stuck and can't sell.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Garage space is a big issue. I only have a 2 car garage, so have to choose wisely.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:59 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

Funny when I was growing up I drove myself with the idea of "one car for each day of the week" and to be able to own a Porsche by 40.

I accomplished the latter and started to build a stable to hit the car a day. I had this gt4 on order just for fun and to add my 4th car but i realized

I love my Range Rover for hauling kids
I love my turbo s for days without kids
I love my gt3 for track days

It's all I needed. I could fit 2 more cars (with a lift) but I think I filled my needs with 3 cars. At this point I would just be buying to look at everytime I walk into the garage.

But to answer your question you definitely need more than one!!

Jeff
Old 05-08-2016, 03:04 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

For the majority having a daily and a sports car is the perfect combo. Having a lift or 2 opens up the capacity to 4-5 cars. Until recently that worked for me. Now that I have room at my business I have unlimited space in a climate controlled warehouse.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:28 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I have passed the usual 3 car family garage. The reasons i trade cars is that i cant afford to keep them or it does not fit the current stable. But i do not anymore trade a car just because I do not have any space. Made to many mistakes doing that. If i like it, it stays, park it outside or rent storage.

I have passed also rationalizing my purchases. This is not a need but a want. If i can afford it, then i will get one. How many cars do you need really, 1 for each home owner, so why do some of us have more than two(?), because we love cars. I realized that when i traded my C4S to a F430 and i regretted that ever since. Will never trade one again due to no space.

Last edited by thxbuff2001; 05-08-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:48 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GT3, truck and MDX. If I had more disposable $$$, certainly grab a 458.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Storage and maintenance is an issue-

But if you partner with someone or a few friends you can all afford a slice of a medium sized storage place. Problem solved.

Maintenance is an issue but by same logic you could pool resources and all hire a mechanic to keep them set. A retired mechanic that can make a little scratch working on 6-10 cars 2-3 days a week is definitely affordable for 3-4 guys to split.

Other issue is significant other- she might think you are a moron. But hey lots of fish in the sea.

Cash wise- just don't buy out of shape cars. If you are stabling a 993, a Gt3 etc they are not going to depreciate. Don't go buy a S63 amg and expect to make or keep money on it. ALSO- Don't be afraid to have a "regular car"- something like a mazda or ford or honda or whatever for city driving or picking people from the airport.

You will have to take risks to get your money back or make money on a car but it's a good risk if you spend enough time here (actually listening to the guys that get it) and you acquire cars responsibly. Don't overextend yourself but if someone offers you a super cheap (or way under market) GT3RS or something you will at least hold your cash in it.

People get super F'd on this subject when they only have one car and try to flip it and miss the market. Then you are stuck and can't sell.
You pretty much nailed it CJ. The biggest two issues for me is $$$ and garage space which are limited for me. I did upgrade to a 3-car garage home recently so that'll make room for another incoming car...looked into putting a lift in but alas the ceiling was only 9 feet. Oh and my parents, most of my friends, and many of my clients already think that I'm a complete nut having so many cars. Even Spyerx said that I have a Porsche heroin habit and I told him that it's a good thing that I hustle so I can keep the habit going.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:14 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I live in Manhattan and have 3 Porsches. Imagine if I had a house. And I'll show myself out.
2-3 Porsches at once, a daily and a 24ft race trailer in San Francisco

I hear you
Old 05-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

garage space is always the problem, but I tell myself that SUVs and older cars can be parked outside.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Too many awesome cars. So little space. My next acquisitions will be a long hood of some type, a gt4 at some point... And I have this strange urge for a 996gt3 track car....

Why? They are all so different yet so familiar. Each offers an experience that fits a mood. I drive them all. A lot.

Quick Reply: Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable