Sponsored by:

Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:16 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Cash might make a difference for some but it still comes down to what you can reasonable use for many of us....I could buy a building that would hold a 1000 cars, BUT many would sit and be difficult to use regularly so money has nothing to do with it. Even 10% of that size collection would be difficult to get out? If I wanted wall art, I'd buy wall art but never got into it.....I buy cars to drive not garage art for people to stare at. I had a 250 Lusso that I used daily for many years and some Ferrari guys thought I was the Ferrari devil for ruining the car by adding so many miles? I told them not to worry.....they could get Ferris Bueller to reverse odometer when I was done with it!?
I so feel you. The reason why I sold my 991 GT3 because I wasn't driving it. If I'm not driving it car, it means that I'm not enjoying it so it's time for it to go to someone who will enjoy it. I don't get people collecting modern cars, guess it's the driver inside of me.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:19 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
I think most people would take 10 or more awesome cars, if given half a chance. I am just not convinced that most would have much more enjoyment with so many cars versus just owning 1 or 2 great ones. And to be clear, I am only talking about toys.

Definitely some would. No doubt about it. We see many of their comments. They really enjoy the variety, and the chores don't really bother them. It is totally worth it to them. But I think a significant percentage might try it, and eventually downsize at some point, because having so many cars comes with a lot of chores, time commitments, and other duties outside actually driving the cars. Too many cars for them actually lessons their enjoyment.

No right or wrong answer, but I do find the responses enlightening. For me, I would love to own 10 nice cars. But I think I would really get maximum enjoyment from having 1 or 2. My GT3 is so personal to me. It's my baby. That type of connection might get lost if I had 10 of them.

Maybe my attitude will change over time? Not sure.
Besides the lack of money, the other problem for me is a lack of time to drive 10+ cars since I basically have two jobs. I'd say my limit is somewhere around 4-5 cars (not including a dedicated track car). Gotta have one daily beater and then a handful of other cars.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:22 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Besides the lack of money, the other problem for me is a lack of time to drive 10+ cars since I basically have two jobs. I'd say my limit is somewhere around 4-5 cars (not including a dedicated track car). Gotta have one daily beater and then a handful of other cars.
You can drive 4-5 cars working two jobs?
Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Well one job is as a real estate hustler so it involves constant driving around so it can be easy to rotate a few cars.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I have 3-4 jobs and spread my cars out to different locations for convenience. At least that is what I tell my wife.

I think my high water mark was 13 cars. Consolidating now.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I so feel you. The reason why I sold my 991 GT3 because I wasn't driving it. If I'm not driving it car, it means that I'm not enjoying it so it's time for it to go to someone who will enjoy it. I don't get people collecting modern cars, guess it's the driver inside of me.
Don't blame you! Who wants the middle child if the older brother (RS) and little bro (GT4) both do the job so well

ps. noticed you drive a prius... Saw this on FB recently and it made me laugh
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got 3 of my own 991 GT3, 981 Spyder and MB ML350 as my daily driver. But I have a total of 6 cars if I include my wife and kids MacanS, Audi S3, and Jeep Wrangler.
No more space
Old 05-11-2016, 09:10 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi1
Got 3 of my own 991 GT3, 981 Spyder and MB ML350 as my daily driver. But I have a total of 6 cars if I include my wife and kids MacanS, Audi S3, and Jeep Wrangler.
No more space
I sometimes forget about the "regular" vehicles we have, they don't really exist in my mind.....of course until I realize I should have taken the "regular" SUV to Scottsdale fashion square because my wife can't seem to figure out that not much will fit in frunk on mid engine exotic (or rear engined sport cars for that matter) even after the 3000+ plus trips there???

Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just poor. That's my old excuse.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I sometimes forget about the "regular" vehicles we have, they don't really exist in my mind.....of course until I realize I should have taken the "regular" SUV to Scottsdale fashion square because my wife can't seem to figure out that not much will fit in frunk on mid engine exotic (or rear engined sport cars for that matter) even after the 3000+ plus trips there???
If you're in scottsdale we need to get together for some car events this fall
Old 05-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Have read through the responses....

The most fascinating part of this forum as compared to everywhere else I go is there seems to be little interest in classic cars. Those seem to be where guys end up with these huge stables of cars. Guys with 3-4 vintage cars plus several newer makes.

Right now I have a meh DD ('07 335i) and what for me is the ultimate classic weekend cruiser, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster

So now I'm wondering where to go next. I would like to sample a modern supercar that is considered a true driver's car (why I'm here, plus considering 458, Huracan, 650S), but still have a desire for more classics, and particularly a Ferrari say from the 90s.

The next car would be all I can house so must choose wisely.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I have 3-4 jobs and spread my cars out to different locations for convenience. At least that is what I tell my wife.

I think my high water mark was 13 cars. Consolidating now.
Wow. That is epic C.J.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:57 PM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shark
Have read through the responses.... The most fascinating part of this forum as compared to everywhere else I go is there seems to be little interest in classic cars. Those seem to be where guys end up with these huge stables of cars. Guys with 3-4 vintage cars plus several newer makes. Right now I have a meh DD ('07 335i) and what for me is the ultimate classic weekend cruiser, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster So now I'm wondering where to go next. I would like to sample a modern supercar that is considered a true driver's car (why I'm here, plus considering 458, Huracan, 650S), but still have a desire for more classics, and particularly a Ferrari say from the 90s. The next car would be all I can house so must choose wisely.
My friend may I suggest the Huracon. The best of all worlds.
Awd, track capable, and great at the dragstrip if you choose. Yet Comfortable, with nose lift, for DD. Make stock power or get some help with UGR for something special once the rush wears off.
It's a halo car. A car that can do just about anything you want it sorted for.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:18 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by RCMA991
My friend may I suggest the Huracon. The best of all worlds.
Awd, track capable, and great at the dragstrip if you choose. Yet Comfortable, with nose lift, for DD. Make stock power or get some help with UGR for something special once the rush wears off.
It's a halo car. A car that can do just about anything you want it sorted for.
Your wife drives a Hellcat? Nice! lol
Old 05-11-2016, 01:47 PM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Yes. Her car is tuned with bolt ons. She goes to the drag strip with me and my team. She's gotten good and enjoys these events. Good time together.

Quick Reply: Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable