Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable

Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Years ago a friend asked "why do you have 3 Porsches?" I replied " because that is all I can fit in my garage".
Sig worthy
Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Sig worthy
Seriously. That one just went in the memory banks for the next time one of our family friends inevitably feels the need to comment on my business.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread can be therapeutic. I am in a continual state of keeping an eye out for interesting cars. I don't like the idea of remote locations for my cars so they are all with me at home (11 or so). I just keep adding garages (3 now, 9 slots ) and park the DD's outside. I echo the inspection and routine maintenance headache.

Sometimes I have themes. For example at one point I felt like I had a great example of each engine location - front, mid and rear.

Like others, I like all kinds of cars and variety, but I also like cars that can pull multiple duty. So I have a race car, but I am trying to find a way back into an RS because for me they are perfect DE/road sports cars that do everything well and are less fussy than dedicated race cars.

Ultimately, I feel I am a driver and not a collector so it bothers me to have cars sit around and not drive them. Also, I do believe there are diminishing returns (as well as limits to how much money should be tied up in these toys) and would rather pare down the flock. Nice problem to have for sure, but not always easy to figure out.

Mario
Old 05-08-2016, 10:10 PM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Other issue is significant other- she might think you are a moron. But hey lots of fish in the sea.
LOL. This literally cracked me up. Now try to turn that back on them for their shoes and bags and its WW3.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

As many have indicated for me garage space is the limiting factor. I like to keep my cars close, really close. When I need to get out I decide which one to drive. Thus remote storage is not for me. As it is I always try to keep a couple of sports cars, a sedan and a SUV. I like to do all the appearance maintenance myself (vis a vis mechanical). Washing, waxing, vacuuming can get pretty cumbersome when the stable gets large.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:18 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

I have a four car garage and warehouse space if I need it. 4 cars is a lot though. Serviced, batteries charged etc. I am usually selling one of them.

Allan is right, "firsts" matter mor than those that follow.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 16'991GT3
I don't have a stable just the GT3 and an Altima lol, but when I have the income to get more cars and build a stable, I think the way I would like to go at it would be to get a car and enjoy it for a couple of years maybe 3 or 4 and then add on to it. That way you get to enjoy the car for atleast a couple of years as a main car and then when you add a new one you are still driving the old one but since you have already experienced it for a couple of years you get to really focus on the new one and not have to worry about splitting so much time between the different cars.
I like that, enjoy as main car then retire it to,weekend car when new one shows up.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I learned it from Mooty.
well then u are fkd learning from lunatic.
space was issue, two car garage. used to park one at sisters when she lived closer. now I told my wife to park her pos on street. the I found a warehouse I leased to allowed 24 cars easily or 30 car if I needed to, and 50 cars if I used lift. but to fill it, I'm currently interviewing with the columbians as an importing agents of "stuff", so as to increase my income such that I can fill the space

Originally Posted by allans
Sorry to say but "we lose the joy of what we have by always wanting more" at least for me. My first Porsche was more special than those that have followed. Same with other things: homes, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, watches, wives. Oh well, just have to deal with it.
I feel same, but I only have cars, no planes boats and such. u sir need more help than I

I seem to buy cars randomly. and most I get bored with after a year. I trade them and some times I would buy same models many many many times over, don't know why I do that. then there are cars I won't sell or maybe I sold but due to sentimental value I bought it back by offering the buyer a lot more money he laid just a week ago...those I keep, then hopefully I'll buy more cautiously going forward and keep them

limit? money would b it
but after 9 cars, I start to have fear of moving them around, driving them and se icing them. last December the entire month was shuttling cars to detail, service, parking etc....

I'm going to pare it down to 5-6 p cars now and see if I will survive
Old 05-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I buy cars that stir my soul. That's the main consideration. They don't need to be expensive but sometimes they are but each was extremely desirable when new, a high water mark/ watershed example and limited in production and each has iconic name plates and ties to motorsports championships.

I agree that after you have reached 3 it becomes a chore to keep track of routine maintenance and not wanting to let any one car sit for too long. My time is limited due to the office. Right now it's 4 including my Boss 302 Trans Am race car. I enjoy owning the all but it is an effort keeping up but the way I see it there's nothing else hobby wise I would prefer to do anyway.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Money and then space limit me. One of my biggest beefs living in Wisconsin is the 3-6 month period of time where they sit covered not moving due to the salt/weather. I have sold cars in October as I look in the garage and think why am I paying this much money for a car cover holder? Has caused me to sell a car or two I wish I had kept.

Currently have 3 toys in the garage and my wife's DD. I alternate driving them daily so they all get exercise. My DD sits outside. Have 5 car garage with 4 spots dedicated to cars and one space to all the crap. Have 2 more slots at our cabin with one available for storage which I may start using next winter. Don't know where to put the boat but car is more important. I am at about my limit for sanity right now as many more gets to be a hassle with cleaning/service etc. Nice first world problems we all have. Tried to go down the lift route for more space but wife said "if you need a lift you have too many cars". Who am I to argue?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:00 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Sorry to say but "we lose the joy of what we have by always wanting more" at least for me. My first Porsche was more special than those that have followed. Same with other things: homes, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, watches, wives. Oh well, just have to deal with it.
There in lies my problem. I just can't see ever selling my lowly 964.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

I find little to no joy in owning cars.

I find much joy in driving cars.

I can only drive one car at a time.

And that's exactly how many I own.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:10 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I have read this thread from start to finish three times now, because there are so many good comments and viewpoints. Great stuff.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robmypro
I have read this thread from start to finish three times now, because there are so many good comments and viewpoints. Great stuff.
this thread is brilliant.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:34 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten to be badly multi car. Part of it is an uncanny knack for picking the biggest depreciating turds that make trade in so maddening that I keep them. Then there is buying cars that are useless except for a single task, but so good at it that I need something for the other task(s). Then there is ADD.

Then.....
Old 05-09-2016, 02:35 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
well then u are fkd learning from lunatic.

I'm going to pare it down to 5-6 p cars now and see if I will survive
You polluted my head too. Damn drug dealer.

5-6? That's like the heroin addict getting on methadone and saying f-it. I need the real deal. I give you 8 weeks.

Originally Posted by tasman
One of my biggest beefs living in Wisconsin is the 3-6 month period of time where they sit covered not moving due to the salt/weather.

Tried to go down the lift route for more space but wife said "if you need a lift you have too many cars". Who am I to argue?
I feel we had this silly Wisconsin discussion before. The land of sunshine is calling! Doesn't have to be Cali either

My problem is my wife is an enabler. She likes cars. Never says no to a car idea. I have to use the restraint.

Because like many here... Space is the biggest issue. If I had mooty space it would be fcf.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable