991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

^ Karl, which one's the track car?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 252 Posts

Manifold - How is that new garage, did you fill it up yet?

We are going to finish the 944 for Joseph to take to college later this fall and then the 914 goes under the knife for PCA Vintage and VRG eligibility. Basic stuff, cage, full cell, safety, exhaust and suspension refresh.

Last edited by Patrick3000; 08-16-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Manifold - How is that new garage, did you fill it up yet?

We are going to finish the 944 for Joseph to take to college later this fall and then the 914 goes under the knife for PCA Vintage and VRG eligibility. Basic stuff, cage, full cell, safety, exhaust and suspension refresh.
Bummer, no fast track car for you.

If we get an RS allocation, maybe that’ll be a garage queen. We also need a convertible - either 997, Boxster, or past gen M3. Daughter needs a car at some point too, so garage could be full soon unless we get some lifts, since we’re not able to part with any of the current cars.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:57 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

Bummer, no fast track car for you.

If we get an RS allocation, maybe that’ll be a garage queen. We also need a convertible - either 997, Boxster, or past gen M3. Daughter needs a car at some point too, so garage could be full soon unless we get some lifts, since we’re not able to part with any of the current cars.

We will see how it shakes out both the 997.2 and GT3T are more than capable for DE.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,104 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I am often tempted to cut back and go to your model. I went from somewhere around a dozen down to 4 in an effort to simplify my life. I've somehow crept back up to 8 (9 when the new rs comes in). I think I'll see 4 again before I'd see 12! It's fairly easy to do the 2 car churn model with new stuff. The older stuff, when u find something well maintained, good condition, right price; it's difficult to replicate later. They aren't commodities at 10yrs+, let alone 25, 50. Adding to that equation fairly rare cars and the process to replace one gets expensive and/or a lot of work.

4 is enough that you rarely get bored of reaching for the keys of something u have in the lineup (I'm talking 4 toys; not a Prius). A rolling 2 could be a lot of fun. I'd just be panicked about not being able to get back some of the stuff I have down the road if i missed it (w/out absolutely paying thru the nose or ending up with a problem child).

My gut tells me I'll eventually get tired of the burden and get down to 2-3. Maybe that's just wishful thinking ?
I drove the 981 spyder last night and turned around early. The thrill has petered out enough that I could tell it was the last drive. This happened a couple mos ago but i changed mind. 2x in last couple months, time to punt. It will go on the maket soon (in the UK). So, now I'm faced with the decision to reduce or trade
Old 08-17-2018, 09:53 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Drove my GT3 for the first time in 2 weeks and I had to force an outing since it's been a while. It was awesome by the way Hauling kids to classes / camp, driving the daily beater to work...just haven't had time. As my d*ck tells me I want a second toy car.....the brain is saying....get a better sedan because I'll actually use it and not want to shoot myself on a daily basis. I think for my situation (and maybe many others) is one toy while my kids are smaller and get the 2nd when the kids are older and I have more time.
That's why I got a BMW X5M to haul the kids around. It drives like a sports car, and with 733hp tuned it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

The fast SUVs and sedans can be a good substitute for when you need to haul the kids around. I also got a 991.2 GTS cab that I can bring two of the kids in, so that was another nice way to share the fun with the family. My GT3 will most likely be driven 99% by me by myself, which is a little sad.
​​​​
Old 08-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
We will see how it shakes out both the 997.2 and GT3T are more than capable for DE.
First, congrats on the GT3! If you plan to track the GT3, why not get the wing/aero version?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:59 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Reviving this thread....love every post in here. Like many here, I like my mind to suffer rather than be happy with what I already have. Looking ahead to next year......

I live in a 4 season city. Here's what I currently have:

Macan Turbo
991 GT3
Old Civic

Which option would you guys go for (Macan stays) assuming money is the same?

1. 991 Gt3, 570s, Old Civic
2. 991 GT3 RS, F80 M3
Late to the game replying...

My wife drives a '16 F80 M3 (6mt). I'm not very impressed. It's ride quality is odd. Sometimes harsh and sometimes not very well controlled. I feel that my GT3 and GT4 have better overall ride quality. And I took the M3 to the track one time and it was horrible. Lots of lean, lots of squat and dive, the turbo sucks for using throttle to help steer in corners and you could definitely feel the turbo lag.

IMHO try and borrow or rent one for a weekend before committing. I suspect a Macan would have better road manners than the M3.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:09 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Late to the game replying...

My wife drives a '16 F80 M3 (6mt). I'm not very impressed. It's ride quality is odd. Sometimes harsh and sometimes not very well controlled. I feel that my GT3 and GT4 have better overall ride quality. And I took the M3 to the track one time and it was horrible. Lots of lean, lots of squat and dive, the turbo sucks for using throttle to help steer in corners and you could definitely feel the turbo lag.

IMHO try and borrow or rent one for a weekend before committing. I suspect a Macan would have better road manners than the M3.
Yeah, ride quality is pretty bad. There was this section of road around this curve. I hit it in the GT3 or LX and the car feels very stable. It is just a bump. I hit that same spot in my 550i and it destabilizes the whoe car. It feels like the front end is going to come off. The twin turbo 445 hp engine is a lifeless beast with serious lag.

I think my GT3 ruined me.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I am a hoarder. I can’t part ways with anything. My solution: giant spare house. Now I fill it with stuff. It has ~5000sq//ft of unfinished space and ~9000sq/ft finished space. That should last me a couple decades of hoarding. My primary house is small and was filled with stuff (I had two rooms attic basement all but one closet dedicated to car parts storage). Now, primary house is reasonably clutter free and spare house looks very empty (I buy antiques off craigslist for sport, just takes time to find stuff I like enough to buy — waiting for next economic crash to load up).

Only problem, spare house only has an oversized three car garage (to go with the four car garage I built at the primary house — both tall enough to stack cars but I don’t like doing that). Currently at 8 cars. Still sad I gave back my TDI VW in the buyback. GT3 may salve wound. I drive 6 regularly, one is a restoration I did but don’t drive, and the last is a project that never ends. At one point I had 16. Had to rent space. Collected way too many projects and parts cars. Purged them to my friends. Many of my cars are nice, some just sentimental value, mostly stuff I like and keep going (two I have driven for 20 years, one 16 years etc.)

Spare house has a spare lot (I have spares of everything) on which I will eventually build ~10k Sq/ft garage/shop that looks like a house on the outside. I could also put an underground garage in the basement of the giant spare house, but having looked into, it is just too much of a pain. Once I have my new storage building, I will never have to sell a car for space. I would buy back every car I owned for what I sold it for if I had the space and keep them all. I am perfectly content to live basically in one bedroom of my small house and build my collections to enjoy when I can. For most maintenance/repair is a burden, for me it is what I enjoy most, even more than driving. And unlike children or horses, cars don’t die if you neglect them for weeks/months/years as long as they are stored properly.

One thing I did accept (only after about 15 years of driving exclusively antiques/impractical vehicles) was that you should have a practical, reliable vehicle for when everything else is not a realistic option for transportation.

When I die, someone will find some really cool stuff (and an immaculate Toyota Tacoma).
Evil, you seem to be an interesting fellow. I too am a hoarder, to a certain degree. I have been toying, for several years, with the idea of simplifying my life, and changing direction towards a minimalist lifestyle. I have two careers which have crossed paths and now shall only pursue one. For many years I have practiced as a subspecialty surgeon, and have derived great satisfaction in helping others. Also, from my earliest memories as a child, I have been an artist, which is my other path in life, and I believe my primary one (painter, sculptor). Soon my focus shall be making art.

I have been passionate about automobiles and racing since childhood. I have owned and raced many cars. It can become addictive if you contract the bug. I am down to 8 at this time. I am thinking of cutting that in half soon, and perhaps more down the road. My fleet includes a pickup truck (honestly, how can anyone live without one?) 🙀... 5 have MTs. I spend too much of my time thinking about cars.

Now thinking of consolidating my GT3T (love the engine) and 981 Spyder (love convertibles) into a Speedster, if I can get one. Just thinking. A painless way of further downsizing (anything can be rationalized!). I believe you expressed a similar thought in a post.

If I am able to get an allocation for a Speedster, without too much angst, I would be very happy having just three vehicles, the others a trucklet of some sort, (for max utility and inclement weather), and my very old Jag sedan.

Cheers,

Claudio
Old 08-18-2018, 11:14 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Claudio,

Interesting is a word people do use quite a bit when talking about me. Good luck with the art career.

I love old jaguar sedans, but I love them for the look more than anything else. I have seriously considered a couple Mark __ sedans from the late 50s-60s, but I ended up with an 07 super V8 which I bought 6 years ago or so. The look of a classic 70s jag, but 400hp, modern conviences and reliability and no rust (all aluminium unibody and panels).

I agree on a pickup (great for hoarding furniture, house and car projects). I also have an old suburban and would have gotten a new one (still have it — snow/salt truck — may fit my plow to it, but I don’t need to plow because the snow never stops me and I don’t drive nice cars in snow anymore), but I could not justify the 90k for the 2500 new one I wanted.

My car “needs”:

Daily driver — this is the hardest part, see below
Pickup/large SUV (have two Tacoma and Sub, but can’t part ways with my 20 year old sub as it has been in family since new and has 320k miles)
Big sedan (check, jag very happy here, waiting for someone to figure out an MT swap and I can die with the jag)
Sports car (had Elise — totaled, then Exige S — medical condition caused sale, but I got better — looking for a replacement Exige S but want a 260. GT3T should suffice.)

“Extras”
Three Land Rovers (I had a dozen at one point). Kept the one I built in college (59 SII 88”), my first NAS D90 I bought back (wife made me sell it when I was in school, but I am a good owner as I sold it with a fire extinguisher which saved the truck and two owners down the road found me and Defender community let me buy it back as the flippers/forum people passed and told owner to sell to me), NAS D110 (the never ending project).
993 C4 cab, brilliant car, but a bit of a compromise between the 71 targa I had and the lotus.
Beater Jeep which I just fixed up for a loved one (I spread my disease)

The “daily driver problem”

About 7 years ago, I decided I needed a reliable daily driver as all the cars I had at the time were acting up. I took a morning off work and I got a VW TDI sportwagen. I bought a grey one and called her Eeyore. Eeyore was great. Eeyore because she was grey and nobody noticed me. Only thing I did not like were low rolling resistance tires in rain. Horrible. Took them off in short order and fitted snow tires. Blizzaks off craigslist near new for $250 for four. Swiss Army knife of cars. I got sheepskin seatcovers, removed the rear seats when I got it so I could haul stuff, got 40mpg no matter what, had plenty of power, 6MT with 6th fine from 40mph up had great torque to accelerate. Only issue is no AWD. Then the TDI scandal. Did not want the fix and the writing on the wall was I would not be able to register it going forward. Finally turned her back in. I was very sad.

Last summer I tried to daily the 993 C4 cab. It was fine, but I did not like it the one time it rained on me and rear visibility is poor with roof up. I have been driving the Tacoma and jag as “dailies” more, but neither are ideally suited. Too big. Jag is auto. Taco is slow (4 cylinder) and ride is suboptimal. I am planning to nice weather daily the GT3 (I dailied the Elise for 50k Miles even in snow).

So today I am going to go look for a new daily. I am not a turbo engine fan, but I am going to look at a Golf R and a sportwagen 4motion 6MT and see if either give me the TDI vibe I had from Eeyore. I probably will not like them, but I need to see.

The speedster would replace the C4 cab, but then I have no aircooler. Hoarder problems.

Last edited by evilfij; 08-18-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:25 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Evilfij, the “daily driver problem” indeed seems more contemplative to address than the toy cars. For over two decades, a 911 has been either a nice-weather daily or an all-year daily. I’ve switched to other cars when family needs require it. While I have tried various cars like Passat and Volvo wagons which only lasts days not even weeks, my go-to 911 replacements have been Cayennes, Land Cruisers or characterful old Benz diesel wagons. And yet whenever I switch back to a 911, it familiarly feels like putting on an old pair of jeans.

Now that I don’t daily drive to an office, I’ve been happy street-driving a 996TT which I’m mostly using for trekking to mountain bike trails. I’m also ordering rally wheels for rallycross and winter tires for snowboard trips. Going from low-ish mileage to a “worthless” moderate-ish mileage car, it is my Swiss Army knife car and a good one at that.

I would appreciate feedback on your GT3 daily drive experience at some point. The GT3T seems like a good 911 street driver replacement for me down the road.

Last edited by mclaudio; 08-18-2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 08-18-2018, 12:34 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

That is what I am hoping: that the GT3T I can daily happily in fair weather. I have 60 Miles of commuting a day so it makes a big difference. I will be sure to report on it, but that won’t be until spring. The Tacoma is adequate in winter being 4x4 (I drove in it deep snow a couple times when I could not get the VW out of the driveway although now it has some specs of surface rust on the frame I need to attend to), but getting another VW (which now have 6 year bumper to bumper warranties) is probably the path forward for a year round daily and I can rotate in the fun cars as I feel like it.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:28 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 167 Posts

I’m in the collection camp
i love them all for their own reasons
sure some are “better” than others but all are amazing in their own way
if they make you smile then they’ve done their part
Old 08-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts