Sponsored by:

991.2 Experince on track review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2 Experince on track review

Got a chance to drive a pair of 991.2 Carrera and S today at Dubai Autodrome. I had some apprehension going into the experience as I had a 991.1 Carrera S prior to my 991 GT3, but I kept telling myself to come into the experience with an open mind. I had 10 months in my 991, liked it as an overall car, but I had little gripes with it that didn't quite settle in with me. Part of the apprehension walking in was the introduction of the turbos on these cars, as well as the gripes I just mentioned from my previous car. I'm not against turbos, I just think they suit certain applications better than others, such as my wife's Macan for instance. I guess we are not off to a rocking start then...

A friend of mine who was in the previous session gave me a cheeky heads up to jump in "that red one," and it was a little red one that was a Carrera S equipped with PCCB and the full works, that I hopped into first. A couple of familiarization laps gave us just enough time to get acquainted. That car was equipped with PDCC and RWS, it was immediately evident that the car changed direction quick and required less steering input then you think. The chassis was very stable at high speed and as a result pushed quite a lot. I don't think you want to hear me talk about that. I will say that after much apprehension about this turbo motor it was quite different than what I expected it to be. Forget about the lack of turbo lag, I was floored to feel how linear the power delivery is, and most importantly at partial throttle the boost did not overwhelm the engine speed with power. Fascinating stuff really, the turbos are so small that I struggle to see how much impact it has on power. The engine is so linear in its power delivery. Looks like that took care of my turbo apprehension.

How about the other stuff? The other stuff that really disappointed me with the older car? I was constantly frustrated that the older car had a click down at full throttle that would downshift regardless of the PDK mode you were in. Or the plus/minus position on the gear selector on the center console. Or the unnecessary annoying constant burble on the over run. Or it must be the change of cabin pressure with the sound symposer. All these gripes I had were addressed in the new car. On top of that, there were very evident enhancements with the steering and PDK. The steering has become much more precise and very close to what I felt on a GT4. The PDK came quite a way from the old car. When rolling at say 3rd gear relaxed at 60/kph, as soon as the throttle is prodded to the floor, there is a spike in power and an aggressive engagement from the PDK that I didn't feel in the old car, it was a little weak if I must say. Moreover, in the old car, when Sport+ is engaged, there would be this ugly lurch forward the PDK would do. In the new car in the same setting, at full throttle shifts the PDK had a nice jolt very close to my GT3 and what a sequential would feel like.

Most of you are thinking how does it sound by now. It sounds quite nice actually, inside and out, albeit not as loud as the old car but has a nice quality sound to it. I'd have to give the external sound to the old car. Not that the new car is bad, just different and not as strong. It was strange that I didn't feel a pressure difference in the cabin as the new car not only has a sound Symposer, it has two now. Perhaps the resonance from both of them canceled each other out or something, but I just didn't feel it in that car.

A few moments later, we switched into a Carrera with basic equipment, and iron breaks. I felt much better in this car as it didn't have PDCC, so the car would lean a little more in corners and that gave quite a bit more feeling as what the chassis was doing, understeer less, but required more steering angle than the Carrara S from a few moments ago with the PDCC. Power delivery of that engine had the same character as the other car but far less potent.

I left this experience quite happy really. Happy that, Porsche delivered on their promise. Happy that they addressed all those gripes I had with the old car that quite detracted what is a great experience of the overall car. It's as though Porsche are saying 'we will give you a proper driver's car we should have given you all along.' After my 991.1 experience I told myself that I wouldn't consider a regular 911/981 ever. Can't say the same after driving the new car. Saw one in Targa form, I'll take one in California thank you very much.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Thanks for the review.

Particular helpful coming from a 991 GT3 owner and previous 991.1 C2S owner, you approach this the same way many of us would.

I was sorely underwhelmed by driving a 991.1 C2S with PDK. Sounds like Porsche has made the .2 turbo Carrera as linear as a turbo could be and improved the regular PDK, which was really needed.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Freind is cool. He was looking out for you it seems
Old 05-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
Thanks for the review. Particular helpful coming from a 991 GT3 owner and previous 991.1 C2S owner, you approach this the same way many of us would. I was sorely underwhelmed by driving a 991.1 C2S with PDK. Sounds like Porsche has made the .2 turbo Carrera as linear as a turbo could be and improved the regular PDK, which was really needed.
Quite honestly coming from a GT3 I wouldn't consider a .1 again, but driving the .2, I wouldn't trade a 3 for it but I would add one to the garage and I'd enjoy it as a targa.

Originally Posted by Arth
Your Freind is cool. He was looking out for you it seems
Can't say the same for other friends who were there a couple of hours before

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Great review. Porsche worked hard on the car. I'm sure they didn't want to disappoint. In the end they need to sell cars. Lots of them. And only an idiot would buy a car they hate or has a horrible reputation when they care about reputation. I'm sure the more people drive the .2 the more positive reviews we'll see.
Thanks AC. Funny enough, I didn't see any reviews prior to driving the car cuz I honestly was not very interested in the car. But after driving it my ears have perked up, and I'd honestly consider one now as I said. It's obvious that Porsche don't make horrible cars in general, but this was a car I would consider a "drivers" car. Something I forgot to mention is that I also hated the buttons of the multifunction steering wheel in the old car, and I don't know what Porsche were thinking when they designed it. New car is substantially different just in half a generation. Never thought that would be the case. Just goes to show how not to "judge a book by its cover"
Old 05-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Quite honestly coming from a GT3 I wouldn't consider a .1 again, but driving the .2, I wouldn't trade a 3 for it but I would add one to the garage and I'd enjoy it as a targa. Can't say the same for other friends who were there a couple of hours before Thanks AC. Funny enough, I didn't see any reviews prior to driving the car cuz I honestly was not very interested in the car. But after driving it my ears have perked up, and I'd honestly consider one now as I said. It's obvious that Porsche don't make horrible cars in general, but this was a car I would consider a "drivers" car. Something I forgot to mention is that I also hated the buttons of the multifunction steering wheel in the old car, and I don't know what Porsche were thinking when they designed it. New car is substantially different just in half a generation. Never thought that would be the case. Just goes to show how not to "judge a book by its cover"
Who do you think told your great friend to pick the red car?? 😂😂
Old 05-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Racer

OP, thanks so much for the review! Very heartening after some of the very disparaging remarks on throttle lag and sound coming from some dyed-in-the-wool 991.1'ers.

While I love the RS having to 'settle' for a 991.2 CS PDK PDCC RWS Sport Chrono+ seems like a damn fine consolation.

Your friend was a good mate for the heads up!

Last edited by 917k; 05-08-2016 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Great review- I had heard the better bang for the buck is actually the just the Carrera not the "S", Can you comment on this?? Is the "S" that much more potent because there has been rumors that they are very close in numbers and I am not talking about the published numbers
Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

The key improvement in the 991.2 gen is the RWS option in the S. It is a way, using technology, to mitigate the longer 991 WB which makes it less 911. Everything else is gravy.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
The key improvement in the 991.2 gen is the RWS option in the S.
Yes, this influenced me. I think the Base is more of a bargain in 991.2 vis-a-vis 991.1 base vs S.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:49 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arth
Who do you think told your great friend to pick the red car?? dde02dde02
A great greater friend?

Originally Posted by 917k
OP, thanks so much for the review! Very heartening after some of the very disparaging remarks on throttle lag and sound coming from some dyed-in-the-wool 991.1'ers. While I love the RS having to 'settle' for a 991.2 CS PDK PDCC RWS Sport Chrono+ seems like a damn fine consolation. Your friend was a good mate for the heads up!
Someone else mentioned they felt some turbo lag which I initially thought I felt, but then I realized that PSM was on, and quite frankly it did a great job feeding in the power on the limit. Then I turned it off which I was not supposed to do but what the heck, I didn't feel any lag what so ever after that.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Great review- I had heard the better bang for the buck is actually the just the Carrera not the "S", Can you comment on this?? Is the "S" that much more potent because there has been rumors that they are very close in numbers and I am not talking about the published numbers
It is evident that there is a difference in power between the S and non S around the mid range and top end. If you are able financially, the S is the one to go for, but if you are tight on budget the regular is a great package and won't feel short changed.

Originally Posted by ADias
The key improvement in the 991.2 gen is the RWS option in the S. It is a way, using technology, to mitigate the longer 991 WB which makes it less 911. Everything else is gravy.
I think the RWS is best suited with PDCC, but in all honesty. I would have the car without either of the two systems. I preferred the non S I drove that didn't have either, the car felt more natural at the limit, and took a bit more effort to work the chassis properly.

Btw, the RWS in the 991.2 felt better than my version in the GT3 because it was less abrupt so it felt more hidden in the background in the fast stuff. I feel the RWS in the GT3 work if there is a sweeper because the chassis makes a little movement after the car settles in the corner.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Experince on track review