Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a race simulator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 12:14 AM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah this is AC. I know some of the AC crew, they've assisted with this simulator.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:21 AM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the process of Building a Virtual Reality Heusinkveld Rig, including their cockpit, pedals + doing an OSW Wheel.

Still a couple months away, but cannot wait
Old 03-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by smookey
Impressive! As a Nordschleife user, i can say your simulator feels very real from what we see. Congratulations for the work.
Thank you, this means a lot! My goal from the start was to build the most immersive simulator possible. I see so many simulators that pile gobs of stuff and unlimited budgets only to end up with a monstrosity of tech and it has ZERO immersion. I believe in order to train properly or even just for fun you have to believe that you are there.

People will constantly say VR is the answer but VR has several drawbacks. One is motion sickness. There is no way around this, none. I've had several dozen people drive this simulator both in VR and using my screen system. Almost 90% in VR got madly ill. Unless we are going to advance evolution a million years just for VR, there is no way around this.

Secondly is the limited resolution and FOV of VR. In the next few years this will become a non issue but even then you reach the third hurdle with VR. In order to be immersed you cannot have any breaks of continuity while in VR. Whenever your in game avatar removes his hand from the wheel to shift, or turn the wheel it does not match your own hands. This immediately takes you out of immersion. Also, no matter how much I've tweaked my VR settings, I can't get it to not look like a video game. While the landscapes are acceptable, the interiors still look rather cartoony and over saturated with color.

I'd love to have an actual "ring" driver test the rig. My intention is to bring it to the SimRacing Expo there this year. We'll see if I can achieve that.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:45 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

Some of the setups from SimExperience are super cool. However a bit steep for my liking. I do have a nice fanatec wheel setup and I figured I would shoot a little video today

Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

Took forever but the encoding for my 4k60fps capture is done and uploaded for those who want to see the games detail

Quick Reply: Who has a race simulator?