Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a race simulator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:21 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These simulators keep me going during the winter months. I use the VR3 Frame from Simroom.com with the frame support which makes it very solid and transfers all the force feedback to your hand and not the wobble. The accessories are also the same as what MikeCA use which is Fanatec.com. Get the ClubSport series because they are well worth the money for a realistic feel. I used the GT2 wheels and love it but the Clubsport v2 wheel, sq/H patern shifter and pedals combo out of this world. You need to input the correct settings or else the stock settings will not bring out the full potential of the wheel. Highly recommend it to learn the track.
Attached Images    
Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Radiantm3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Fanatec setup as well. Definitely the best (modestly priced) hardware you can go with before getting into the really high end stuff. Assetto Corsa is just unbelievably good and getting better with each release. Comes out on consoles next month. I would stay far away from the Forza series if you use sims to practice off the track. The physics system just isn't right especially when the tires lose grip.

Running the Rennsport V2 Cockpit, Clubsport V2 Wheelbase, Clubsport V3 Pedals, and the Clubsport Shifter/Handbrake. I also have 2 buttkickers simulating road bumps and suspension movement. Really excited for Oculus Rift support this year.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Radiantm3
I have a Fanatec setup as well. Definitely the best (modestly priced) hardware you can go with before getting into the really high end stuff. Assetto Corsa is just unbelievably good and getting better with each release. Comes out on consoles next month. I would stay far away from the Forza series if you use sims to practice off the track. The physics system just isn't right especially when the tires lose grip.

Running the Rennsport V2 Cockpit, Clubsport V2 Wheelbase, Clubsport V3 Pedals, and the Clubsport Shifter/Handbrake. I also have 2 buttkickers simulating road bumps and suspension movement. Really excited for Oculus Rift support this year.
Sweet; I like your 3 screen setup. Thanks for the heads up on Assetto Corsa for consoles. I just checked and Amazon has it available for pre-order. It will release June 3rd....
Old 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Moondog4224
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you speak to the other components as well.... xbox, pc, stereo, back speakers etc that run your audio thx.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 AM
Radiantm3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moondog4224
Can you speak to the other components as well.... xbox, pc, stereo, back speakers etc that run your audio thx.
PC (Intel Core i7 4790k, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3, 500gb Samsung SSD, 2x EVGA 980 SC SLI)

Speakers are a Logitech 5.1 system. Forgot the exact model, but it's a few years old.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:47 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Been working on a collaboration with some gents in Canada. This is a dimensionally correct rig modeled after 997 interior. Seat, pedals, shifter location are the same as a 997.

I recently suffered from a house flood and going through a remodel so this is on hold but pretty much ready to fab.

Fyi, this is not for sale.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Why not?!?!! I'd likely buy one. I'm sure plenty of others would as well.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Radiantm3
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Been working on a collaboration with some gents in Canada. This is a dimensionally correct rig modeled after 997 interior. Seat, pedals, shifter location are the same as a 997.

I recently suffered from a house flood and going through a remodel so this is on hold but pretty much ready to fab.

Looks fantastic, but how much to fab something like that up? If it's 1-2 grand (or more), I'd rather just get a setup that's already been in production and tested. Every car has a different seating position and you tend to drive a huge variety of cars in a simulator so I don't really see the point of matching the driving position of your current car. You could argue that being closer to your real car helps you translate to the real world better, but I'd argue that the sim wheel and pedals would be the part that is the most disjointed from your real car and the most important part of getting it right. Regardless, that does look pretty cool.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:56 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a Wagner Race Products sim, with the upgraded pedals ( we had one with the regular pedals, and these are a HUGE improvement, the feel is much better for braking).

I used it to learn new tracks when I raced in Grand Am. it was invaluable as without it, the initial practice session was virtually a throw away, and track time was limited, and the competition was strong.

It has sat largely unused for the past few years, and the last time I set it up, the steering is not calibrated properly for some reason. Im not a computer guru, so don't know how to fix it. This set up retails for $8500, and Im killing to sell for $4500. its in suburban Chicago at my man cave. I could deliver within a couple hundred miles, but will not ship.

I haven't tried selling it, just saw this thread and thought someone might be interested.

ill take some pics later today!

Steve
Old 05-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Radiantm3
Instructor

Originally Posted by SJJ28
I have a Wagner Race Products sim, with the upgraded pedals ( we had one with the regular pedals, and these are a HUGE improvement, the feel is much better for braking).

I used it to learn new tracks when I raced in Grand Am. it was invaluable as without it, the initial practice session was virtually a throw away, and track time was limited, and the competition was strong.

It has sat largely unused for the past few years, and the last time I set it up, the steering is not calibrated properly for some reason. Im not a computer guru, so don't know how to fix it. This set up retails for $8500, and Im killing to sell for $4500. its in suburban Chicago at my man cave. I could deliver within a couple hundred miles, but will not ship.

I haven't tried selling it, just saw this thread and thought someone might be interested.

ill take some pics later today!

Steve
Not to discourage a buyer of your setup, but I checked their website and you can build their system easily for under 2 grand. It's a low end setup by today's standards. The pedals do look nice though. The G25 wheel and shifter can be had for $150 on craigslist.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:36 PM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this thread is timely!

I'm thinking of starting small with a thrustmaster VG150, Thrustmaster T300 or Logitech G29 hooked up to my ps4...start small. if i find myself using it, upgrade to a race chair, then make teh move to pc with a 3x monitor setup. at that point, maybe upgrade the wheel

does this seem like a reasonable way to progress? i don't want to drop $2500 out of the gate and have it collect dust
Old 05-04-2016, 05:41 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PC (Intel Core i7 4790k, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3, 500gb Samsung SSD, 2x EVGA 980 SC SLI)

Speakers are a Logitech 5.1 system. Forgot the exact model, but it's a few years old.
Nice PC setup. The only thing I would upgrade really is the processor and ram. Those video cards are monsters and doing most of the work, so the two upgrades probably wouldn't be that affective for just the simulator. I use the same for my animation & rendering software in the ti version.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:52 PM
MoeGt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at probably an identical setup like you have. How happy are you with it? Is there anything you would modify or change? How easy is it to put it together, cause I have never owned a simulator. More info would be appreciated, Thanks.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Radiantm3
Instructor

Originally Posted by MoeGt3
I was looking at probably an identical setup like you have. How happy are you with it? Is there anything you would modify or change? How easy is it to put it together, cause I have never owned a simulator. More info would be appreciated, Thanks.
I've gone through many many iterations over the past 5 years or so and I'm extremely happy with my setup at the moment. Assetto Corsa is just sublime at it's current state and it drives even better right after I get back from a real track day since all that real world muscle memory is fresh.

The only thing I've been wanting to change is larger displays just for a slightly wider vertical field of view (would be nice to see the car gauges), but not at the expense of a lower pixel density or refresh rate. HDTV's run at 60hz (even the ones that have 240hz motion as that is faked in software) so that's not an option for me. I have an Oculus Rift on order and hoping that will be a huge improvement over my triple screen setup, but I'm worried that I'm too spoiled by the high resolution and 144hz refresh rates of the monitors. But 3D really improves spacial awareness (you drive a lot better in sims) so slightly lower resolution in VR might be worth the trade off.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello gents, I build these bespoke.

I have been a Porsche fan since, well since a long long long time ago. I've spent a little time and developed a simulator which I think is the most realistic in the world in private hands. It is a 996 GT3 1 t0 1 scale.

I have a small Porsche museum in the room of which the centerpiece is my Wilco Michaels diorama.

I will be refining this prototype for sale at a point in the future. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: Who has a race simulator?