Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you rather... 991 GT3RS vs 991 GT3 (StreetCup)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:39 AM
Calviin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you rather... 991 GT3RS vs 991 GT3 (StreetCup)

Would you rather... And this is all can be put into different modifications and uses but this is just a general idea, you can put different parts into them..

991 GT3RS (stock... or lightly modded)
-exhaust (Akra?)
-suspension package
-HRE Wheels with Trofeo R Tires

vs

991 GT3 (Street Cup)
-LWB
-Cage
-Cup front bumper
-Cup rear bumper
-Cup trunk and wing
-Exhaust (Akra?)
-Tune
-Cup hood
-Cup lip
-HRE Wheels with Trofeo R Tires (18s)
-Street Cup Suspension?

Assuming that you have 2-3 track weekends.

Just would like to pick some of the members expertise!

Thanks,
Future 991 GT3 Owner
Old 04-27-2016, 04:54 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Need more info,

Are you going to drive the car on the road at all?
If yes, what kind of roads?

Does resale mean anything to you?

If you don't care about resale and only drive the car on track. Go with option 2

In any other scenario I would try to get a 991rs.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:03 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

How much weight does the Cup bodywork save? 2-3 weekends is next to no seat time to be in a car like this, unless I'm mistaken it will only slow you down in the long run.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 PM
rollsroy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

2-3 track days a year is nothing.

I would always choose a GT3RS over a modified GT3.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:31 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

GT3 RS just because in person it looks so much better than a GT3 ... but if you can only find a GT3 RS at the ridiculous prices they are going for then I would get a GT3 and do all the mods you want (like what I am doing)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:54 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its fun to mod, lord knows i have spent tons doing that. with that said the stock 991 GT3 (stock alignment too) is beyond most of us capabilities. a true pro will, depending on track, be many seconds faster than many of us could ever achieve regardless of how many mods were done. I know first hand and I run red chin group. Gold driver in my car just killed a lap. Not even close.

fwiw Mods are cool and fun. Many times though they just mess your nice car up and that includes many exhaust systems.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:59 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

As others have said a heavy mod project is a terrible financial decision, but great emotional one. You have to go into expecting 10 to 20 cents in the dollar, while at the same time probably hurting the underlying value of the donor car...
Old 04-27-2016, 03:11 PM
Calviin
AutoX

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Need more info,

Are you going to drive the car on the road at all?
If yes, what kind of roads?

Does resale mean anything to you?

If you don't care about resale and only drive the car on track. Go with option 2

In any other scenario I would try to get a 991rs.

Good luck.
Yes, it would be driven on the road, once or twice week. Just on the highways of Dallas, TX.

Yes and no, cars are meant to be driven so resale involves mileage, correct?

Thank you!!

Originally Posted by consolidated
How much weight does the Cup bodywork save? 2-3 weekends is next to no seat time to be in a car like this, unless I'm mistaken it will only slow you down in the long run.
I'm not sure about weight saving, it was just to get the cup car on the street look, lol! I'm sure it will... Modifying it would be just for my satisfaction.

Originally Posted by rollsroy
2-3 track days a year is nothing.

I would always choose a GT3RS over a modified GT3.
It's 2-3 tracks days a month! so 24-36 days a year, which is STILL nothing. Thank you!

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
GT3 RS just because in person it looks so much better than a GT3 ... but if you can only find a GT3 RS at the ridiculous prices they are going for then I would get a GT3 and do all the mods you want (like what I am doing)
But what do you think a 991 GT3 CUP next to a GT3RS would look like, on the track side by side or parked side by side. You're right, mod it the way you want to! Ultimate satisfaction, but modding a GT3RS, BLISS.

Originally Posted by hughp3
its fun to mod, lord knows i have spent tons doing that. with that said the stock 991 GT3 (stock alignment too) is beyond most of us capabilities. a true pro will, depending on track, be many seconds faster than many of us could ever achieve regardless of how many mods were done. I know first hand and I run red chin group. Gold driver in my car just killed a lap. Not even close.

fwiw Mods are cool and fun. Many times though they just mess your nice car up and that includes many exhaust systems.
Really? You've modded GT3s? How were they?! Are you saying a true pro in a modded GT3 or a true pro in a stock gt3/gt3rs? More details? Thank you for the input! It's helps a lot and makes sense, it has the possibility of messing up your nice car ..

Originally Posted by NateOZ
As others have said a heavy mod project is a terrible financial decision, but great emotional one. You have to go into expecting 10 to 20 cents in the dollar, while at the same time probably hurting the underlying value of the donor car...
You're absolutely right! Thank you! So emotional indeed.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Calviin
AutoX

Also, hughp3! Did you trade in your 991 GT3 for a 991 GT3RS?! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 04:18 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Calvin - please don't take my fwiw as negative, not trying to dissuade just did not know where you were coming from.

I have modded non-porsche cars in the past. They all failed to some degree which is why I started buying Porsche's. Best move i ever made. I spent a fortune making bad cars try to perform, finally stopped (engine, suspension, brakes etc..). Have had a 997.1 GT3 with mild track setup and a 997.1 Turbo $20K engine mods, $6 JRZ etc... both great but ultimately went 996 Cup (hot 3.8L motor, tilton full carbon clutch, already has carbon doors+, Moton's, hiem joints etc.). Killed those street cars of mine . No way i could mod those cars and get close to the Cup. But along came the 991 GT3. No mods needed after Leh Keen showed me what he could do in it stock (lord). That was my final lesson. You may be getting all the car has, but I know I am not anywhere close. if you are going to proceed at some point you have to decide do you spend the money on your street car or go 997.2/991 Cup. I would have been happy to stop at the 991 but an RS was thrown my way unexpectedly (yes it is even more capable). Many trade offs. But the closer you get to a Cup with mods the worse the car will be on the street to the point of wearing a mouth piece or bottoming out bad somewhere. I know cause I tried to drive the Cup on the street once. Not good. Any how go bravely forth and enjoy however you decide cause its is all a good journey. Btw you going to Road Atlanta this weekend with Chin? would be fun to hook up.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:18 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Calviin
Yes, it would be driven on the road, once or twice week. Just on the highways of Dallas, TX. Yes and no, cars are meant to be driven so resale involves mileage, correct? Thank you!! I'm not sure about weight saving, it was just to get the cup car on the street look, lol! I'm sure it will... Modifying it would be just for my satisfaction. It's 2-3 tracks days a month! so 24-36 days a year, which is STILL nothing. Thank you! But what do you think a 991 GT3 CUP next to a GT3RS would look like, on the track side by side or parked side by side. You're right, mod it the way you want to! Ultimate satisfaction, but modding a GT3RS, BLISS. Really? You've modded GT3s? How were they?! Are you saying a true pro in a modded GT3 or a true pro in a stock gt3/gt3rs? More details? Thank you for the input! It's helps a lot and makes sense, it has the possibility of messing up your nice car .. You're absolutely right! Thank you! So emotional indeed.
Can you share a pic of a GT3 Cup, since i don't know what it looks like
Old 04-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Calviin
AutoX

Hello Calvin - please don't take my fwiw as negative, not trying to dissuade just did not know where you were coming from.

I have modded non-porsche cars in the past. They all failed to some degree which is why I started buying Porsche's. Best move i ever made. I spent a fortune making bad cars try to perform, finally stopped (engine, suspension, brakes etc..). Have had a 997.1 GT3 with mild track setup and a 997.1 Turbo $20K engine mods, $6 JRZ etc... both great but ultimately went 996 Cup (hot 3.8L motor, tilton full carbon clutch, already has carbon doors+, Moton's, hiem joints etc.). Killed those street cars of mine . No way i could mod those cars and get close to the Cup. But along came the 991 GT3. No mods needed after Leh Keen showed me what he could do in it stock (lord). That was my final lesson. You may be getting all the car has, but I know I am not anywhere close. if you are going to proceed at some point you have to decide do you spend the money on your street car or go 997.2/991 Cup. I would have been happy to stop at the 991 but an RS was thrown my way unexpectedly (yes it is even more capable). Many trade offs. But the closer you get to a Cup with mods the worse the car will be on the street to the point of wearing a mouth piece or bottoming out bad somewhere. I know cause I tried to drive the Cup on the street once. Not good. Any how go bravely forth and enjoy however you decide cause its is all a good journey. Btw you going to Road Atlanta this weekend with Chin? would be fun to hook up.
Hello Hughp3!

I didn't take your fwiw at all! I was just being thankful that you provided me with that info. Since you've owned so many Porsches and have modified them, I know that if I did a GT3 with some cup mods it wouldn't be practical for the street! Now it helps me think further into a decision. I will probably go with a GT3RS because I would probably only have time to track 2-3 weekends of the month. And later when I have more time I can track more and possibly get a 991 Cup Car! I've heard of the Road to Atlanta but unfortunately I cannot make it. But we should definitely link up in the future! I'm new to the forum so I don't know how to navigate it that well... If you could send me a PM that would be great! I still have some questions I'd like to ask and pick your brain some more.. Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Calviin
AutoX

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Can you share a pic of a GT3 Cup, since i don't know what it looks like
Some examples of what I was talking about with the 991 GT3 modified..

Old 04-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cup car "look" for street use is lame
Old 04-27-2016, 06:16 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Calviin
Some examples of what I was talking about with the 991 GT3 modified..
i would do regular GT3 over cup and RS over GT3

Quick Reply: Would you rather... 991 GT3RS vs 991 GT3 (StreetCup)