Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you rather... 991 GT3RS vs 991 GT3 (StreetCup)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:44 AM
Calviin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hgmotorsports
Glad you guys had a great weekend at COTA! Sounds like you were really flyin!

It's worth remembering that the white StreetCup car was slower on the straights compared to other GT3s due to the wing and slightly widened front end. There are a few long straights at COTA but the advantage in downforce must have been nice through the esses and other high speed corners.

The StreetCup suspension upgrade is very impressive from behind the wheel, turns the cars agility and responsiveness up a few notches from the standard GT3 and improves your ability to feel what the car is doing under you. I had the extreme fortune of driving a stock GT3 and that white StreetCup car with the Cup car body pieces back to back recently and was actually surprised at how different the two cars feel. Moving to stiffer linear springs, replacing bushings with spherical bearings, etc. is not going to affect lap times in a huge way but they make the car easier to handle at the limit and make it feel absolutely cemented to the pavement.

The best part of the Cup car body upgrade in my opinion is the ability to fit a much wider front wheel with the front fender extensions, we're running 295 Hoosier R7 slicks on the front of that white car without any issues.

I haven't driven a 991 GT3 RS at the track yet so I couldn't directly compare the two. My opinion has always been that the GT3 and GT3 RS are different models at different price points (especially with current dealer market adjustments) and they cater to slightly different buyers. RS owners are more likely to see their cars as an investment and have been a little less likely to want to modify them. The StreetCup parts are great for GT3 owners who find themselves going to the track more often and want to turn things up a little after they've gotten used to the standard car.

We built that white StreetCup car for frequent track use and it's already been to several track events this year but the owner still drives it regularly on his street tires, I believe it's at 11,000 miles and counting. The best part of these upgrades is the fact that they don't hurt the GT3's wide range of abilities, it's still a street car that happens to do extremely well at the track. I chalk that up mostly to Porsche's ability to build an insanely great car as a starting point as a lot of this comes from the compliance of the PASM dampers, the stiffness of the chassis, etc.
That was so well put... SLOW CLAP!!!
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice response HG. Good going hoohumpers.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:06 AM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by hgmotorsports
Glad you guys had a great weekend at COTA! Sounds like you were really flyin!

It's worth remembering that the white StreetCup car was slower on the straights compared to other GT3s due to the wing and slightly widened front end. There are a few long straights at COTA but the advantage in downforce must have been nice through the esses and other high speed corners.

The StreetCup suspension upgrade is very impressive from behind the wheel, turns the cars agility and responsiveness up a few notches from the standard GT3 and improves your ability to feel what the car is doing under you. I had the extreme fortune of driving a stock GT3 and that white StreetCup car with the Cup car body pieces back to back recently and was actually surprised at how different the two cars feel. Moving to stiffer linear springs, replacing bushings with spherical bearings, etc. is not going to affect lap times in a huge way but they make the car easier to handle at the limit and make it feel absolutely cemented to the pavement.

The best part of the Cup car body upgrade in my opinion is the ability to fit a much wider front wheel with the front fender extensions, we're running 295 Hoosier R7 slicks on the front of that white car without any issues.

I haven't driven a 991 GT3 RS at the track yet so I couldn't directly compare the two. My opinion has always been that the GT3 and GT3 RS are different models at different price points (especially with current dealer market adjustments) and they cater to slightly different buyers. RS owners are more likely to see their cars as an investment and have been a little less likely to want to modify them. The StreetCup parts are great for GT3 owners who find themselves going to the track more often and want to turn things up a little after they've gotten used to the standard car.

We built that white StreetCup car for frequent track use and it's already been to several track events this year but the owner still drives it regularly on his street tires, I believe it's at 11,000 miles and counting. The best part of these upgrades is the fact that they don't hurt the GT3's wide range of abilities, it's still a street car that happens to do extremely well at the track. I chalk that up mostly to Porsche's ability to build an insanely great car as a starting point as a lot of this comes from the compliance of the PASM dampers, the stiffness of the chassis, etc.
Thanks for chiming in!

HG's StreetCup collaboration build is definitely not a show queen but a formidable beast at the track.

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Quick Reply: Would you rather... 991 GT3RS vs 991 GT3 (StreetCup)