Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you rather... 991 GT3RS vs 991 GT3 (StreetCup)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

If you can afford a cup just get a cup. "StreetCup"=rice
Old 04-27-2016, 06:47 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I should add... A real Cup car like mine has no radiator fans so will overheat quickly unless you are up to speed. The stock Sachs clutch is an absolute bitch, carbon clutch a tad better. You could never ever do a hill start, ever. turning radius needs a parking lot. I only tried going around the block once for a laugh, scraped on everything and had no hills or traffic.

From what i have read you've never driven a 991, if you can get the best from that car you need a full ride with a team. I agree with Hoopumpers, not my cup of tea to make a 991 into something its not unless your doing it solely for better lap times/more confidence. Some here have done the wings and suspension and really like it, was not for looks.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 AM
Calviin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Oh, definitely! I was just going towards getting the GT3 like a cup car because I could get it on the street to car cruises or meets but also taking it to the track, rather than storing it at the track. But now I understand, modding it is rice, rather I could get a GT3RS and it would fit all purposes. PLUS!!! The WOW factor in it, compared to a 991 GT3.

Originally Posted by hughp3
I should add... A real Cup car like mine has no radiator fans so will overheat quickly unless you are up to speed. The stock Sachs clutch is an absolute bitch, carbon clutch a tad better. You could never ever do a hill start, ever. turning radius needs a parking lot. I only tried going around the block once for a laugh, scraped on everything and had no hills or traffic.

From what i have read you've never driven a 991, if you can get the best from that car you need a full ride with a team. I agree with Hoopumpers, not my cup of tea to make a 991 into something its not unless your doing it solely for better lap times/more confidence. Some here have done the wings and suspension and really like it, was not for looks.
Wow, that's pretty intense. Strictly for the track!

And yes, hughp3, I have never driven a 991. And as I said from above, just to cruise, take it to meets and then to the track with competing with track times. HG Motorsports made that white one I posted and they said it kills a 991 GT3RS on the tracks.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please don't proliferate the "art" of cars and coffee mods to the Porsche brand.

We'll have explicit evidence this weekend on just how much the HG "street cup" kills the RS (or not)

...yes Dieter...it's a walk off!
Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-28-2016, 12:39 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
StreetCup, gotta laugh at that a little.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Calviin
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Please don't proliferate the "art" of cars and coffee mods to the Porsche brand.

We'll have explicit evidence this weekend on just how much the HG "street cup" kills the RS (or not)

Maybe I'm wording this all wrong... okay... so what I mean is that I wantED to have a GT3 with AERO on it, but not necessarily a full on CUP car because you can't drive it on the street, but it would be a dual purpose and not just for looks.
And yes, I'm trying to make my way down to COTA in Austin, TX this weekend to see this action!!!
Overall, I'm towards a GT3RS now.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Calviin
AutoX

IF I can't make it to COTA this weekend, Hoopumpers... Let me know if you pass those "Street Cup" GT3s :P
Old 05-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

This is a bit premature as the HG guys have another day to put up times, but I'm not out to set any flyers today, so I'll post fri/sat best results:

RS -- 2:24:0
Street cup -- 2:24:2

I won't be surprised if Dieter posts a faster time today though

So...pretty much a wash. I will argue though that the "street cup" should be running street tires for this to be a comparison. The HG car is wrapped in Hoosier R7s - ok technically they are DOT, but they could never truly be driven on the street...they are pseudo slicks. Generally speaking Hoosiers are 2 secs/lap quicker than street tires, and racing slicks are 2 seconds quicker than ho hos. COTA is a long, high hp track with many sweeping high speed corners (2, esses, 16-17-18, 19 etc), so the impact may be even more substantial at COTA than a typical track.

I've not driven the Street cup, but I must say the RS is blowing my mind in performance right from the factory
Old 05-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Calviin
AutoX

This is a bit premature as the HG guys have another day to put up times, but I'm not out to set any flyers today, so I'll post fri/sat best results:

So...pretty much a wash. I will argue though that the "street cup" should be running street tires for this to be a comparison. The HG car is wrapped in Hoosier R7s - ok technically they are DOT, but they could never truly be driven on the street...they are pseudo slicks. Generally speaking Hoosiers are 2 secs/lap quicker than street tires, and racing slicks are 2 seconds quicker than ho hos. COTA is a long, high hp track with many sweeping high speed corners (2, esses, 16-17-18, 19 etc), so the impact may be even more substantial at COTA than a typical track.

I've not driven the Street cup, but I must say the RS is blowing my mind in performance right from the factory

The exact answers I've been looking for!!! Thank you
Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Those times are final for the weekend
Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you running your RS on the stock MPSC2's? If so, quite impressive to match the time of a 991 GT3 with big aero and R7's.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Yes, car is stock with stock MPSC2 tires
Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Impressive.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:25 AM
hgmotorsports
Former Vendor

Glad you guys had a great weekend at COTA! Sounds like you were really flyin!

It's worth remembering that the white StreetCup car was slower on the straights compared to other GT3s due to the wing and slightly widened front end. There are a few long straights at COTA but the advantage in downforce must have been nice through the esses and other high speed corners.

The StreetCup suspension upgrade is very impressive from behind the wheel, turns the cars agility and responsiveness up a few notches from the standard GT3 and improves your ability to feel what the car is doing under you. I had the extreme fortune of driving a stock GT3 and that white StreetCup car with the Cup car body pieces back to back recently and was actually surprised at how different the two cars feel. Moving to stiffer linear springs, replacing bushings with spherical bearings, etc. is not going to affect lap times in a huge way but they make the car easier to handle at the limit and make it feel absolutely cemented to the pavement.

The best part of the Cup car body upgrade in my opinion is the ability to fit a much wider front wheel with the front fender extensions, we're running 295 Hoosier R7 slicks on the front of that white car without any issues.

I haven't driven a 991 GT3 RS at the track yet so I couldn't directly compare the two. My opinion has always been that the GT3 and GT3 RS are different models at different price points (especially with current dealer market adjustments) and they cater to slightly different buyers. RS owners are more likely to see their cars as an investment and have been a little less likely to want to modify them. The StreetCup parts are great for GT3 owners who find themselves going to the track more often and want to turn things up a little after they've gotten used to the standard car.

We built that white StreetCup car for frequent track use and it's already been to several track events this year but the owner still drives it regularly on his street tires, I believe it's at 11,000 miles and counting. The best part of these upgrades is the fact that they don't hurt the GT3's wide range of abilities, it's still a street car that happens to do extremely well at the track. I chalk that up mostly to Porsche's ability to build an insanely great car as a starting point as a lot of this comes from the compliance of the PASM dampers, the stiffness of the chassis, etc.

Quick Reply: Would you rather... 991 GT3RS vs 991 GT3 (StreetCup)