Sponsored by:

911R PTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 03:35 AM
sammyj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Congratulations sammyj!!! PTS fashion grey, and SMFW to boot! That's fantastic! I hope you post some photos when the car arrives (including in the fashion grey thread on this site). You will love the colour. Please tell us more about your build. Now that it's fashion grey, are you keeping with the no stickers plan?

FYI you are now able to choose from all colours in the 3M range for stickers, if you request CXX stickers--this opens up the possibilities including some very subtle, classy designs (if that's the look you're going for). You may want to consider Singer or the Sport Classic 997 for inspiration in this regard. It all depends on the purpose (and therefore look) you want. (And going with CXX stripes allows you to do this. Of course, you could also go with the loud, in your face design too, but somehow I don't imagine this is what you want, if you're going with fashion grey.)

*none of the following are fashion grey, but you get the idea.

Also, in response to the number of PTS in Canada, I have heard 2. Probably some of the 918 guys will have more info though.
Does anyone have any more info on the 3M colour options for the 911R stripes? Our Fashion Grey is scheduled for delivery next week, and while it has the sleeper look with no stripes at all, we're now thinking of something subtle as suggested, perhaps even with the yellow Porsche script on the side to match the calipers. Any suggestions on specific colours from the catalogue to compliment Fashion Grey? Our dealer is still under the impression that it's only possible to get red or green stripes, despite all the obvious evidence to the contrary... And apologies if this has been detailed elsewhere.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:23 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Send lessthan3mph a PM. He is very knowledgeable with this and might be able to help you out.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

sammyj, the only way to know for sure if you like a particular combination is to see it in person, and for that you'll need samples of paint and vinyl to compare (or ask your Porsche SA, Exclusive representative, or 918 concierge). Barring that, you can take a few stabs based on what you find online, etc. If you have seen Fashion grey in person, that helps a little. So I'll give you my perspective since I have seen it once or twice.

Based on what I can deduce (and I don't have the whole line of 3M samples from this product line), I believe it is fairly close to Medium Grey 100-605. You could do that for the subtlest of stripe. Or you could pick one or two shades lighter or darker, depending on which look you prefer.

As for yellow, I'm not entirely sure which one matches Speed yellow. (Perhaps 100-15???) For that question I'd contact wtdoom. He may have some insights. Alternatively, ask PAG which yellow was used on the BRG 000 "so-called Preuninger's" 911R. I think that was a relatively close match. Finally, you can ask Seb what he did on his Slate grey 911R.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:55 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

When I went through this on my RS, I was able to get Porsche Exclusive to send me photos of a few selected 3M Samples against the Porsche Paint Sample.

I realize you're in Queensland, but why not give them a call in Europe or the US and see if they can do the same?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Bartron
Racer

@sammyj

Porsche Exclusive in Atlanta will do renderings for you in photoshop. I found this helpful.

However, I've had better luck with getting the actual swatches of the film and comparing them against colors of the cars at the dealer or to the paint sample plates that all dealers have. Of course, if it's a PTS color that may be harder.

You should, however, be able to compare them to the yellow of PCCB brakes.

Porsche uses a 3M product called ScotchCal Opaque Graphic Film Series 100. Some of the colors have Pantone numbers which may make a match easier. We don't have that product in Canada so I had to use a similar 3M product to color match. I don't have immediate access to PCCB's but may be able to check next week if I have a matching color in the 1080 series.

Lastly, when I inquired about replacement stripes/graphics, I was told extremely unlikely to happen. Hence, ordering custom colors from Porsche after delivery may be very difficult. That being said, if you've got a PTS car, your options may be different :lowdown:

Good luck. lessthan3mph was a big help for me.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 PM
GT63TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by richk
I know of one PTS R in LA...there has got to be a few more.
I saw the Steven Racing car w Ayrton Senna color combo too.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:53 PM
sammyj
AutoX

Thanks @lessthan3mph. This is very helpful. Much appreciated.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:55 PM
sammyj
AutoX

@barton @NateOZ cheers guys. The car arrives next week so I think the best option is to take delivery, get some vinyl samples and see what works best. Whether or not we can then get official Porsche exclusive stripes or have to source an equivalent remains to be seen I guess. I'll keep you all posted and share some pics.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:36 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool photo from @petal911 in Sydney via IG. An older and much smaller relative.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:25 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Nice pair.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I'll just leave these here...
Attached Images        
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Sweet. Thank you for the pics.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:09 PM
PTSRS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The matching calipers complete the look! One of my favorite specs by far. Can't wait to see it side by side with the owner's matching Singer.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:34 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Very cool matching brake calipers with the stripes. I heard those "CXX" brake calipers costs US$24K for the set, US$6K per caliper. Need someone to confirm that.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 03-04-2017, 08:55 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Thanks for sharing. Very cool matching brake calipers with the stripes. I heard those "CXX" brake calipers costs US$24K for the set, US$6K per caliper. Need someone to confirm that.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
These are not the CXX calipers. They were done aftermarket and it is much cheaper

Quick Reply: 911R PTS