991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R PTS

Old 06-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

All 911's are painted in Zuffenhausen. The confusion regarding an outside vendor is CF parts on GT cars. The process is different and the paint work is done offsite.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:46 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Last I heard the "Flippers" are asking $300K for special color (black, yellow, orange)? Is that true? Drive safe, GT3RS-Fan1
"Whatever market price is"
Old 06-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

It is Brewster Green.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
My colleague is getting his R in PTS to match his original R, also they are giving him the same serial number. Should be delivered in August and I will go down with my kids and take plenty of pics. He is not a flipper, but a well known collector.
Looking forward to those pics.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:38 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 859 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
It is Brewster Green.
???
Old 06-25-2016, 02:15 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Colors of the Original 1967 911R's...

Originally Posted by fastmd
My colleague is getting his R in PTS to match his original R,
also they are giving him the same serial number.

fastmd: What was the serial # & color of your colleague's
original 1967 R?

Well, I think it's time get another conversation going re: the
original colors of the limited production 1967 911R. Daniel
(Lessthan3mph) has done excellent research on this subject
& I know he will add mightily to this discussion.

A few months ago Daniel informed me, according to research
he had done, that the colors of the original 911R were:

'feuerrot-fire red' (prototype R2),
'blutorange/tangerine' (prototype R3),
'zitrongelb' (Prototype R4),
'slate grey' (#13),
'cadillac gold' (#15),
'reventlow blue' (#20),
All the others were 'light ivory'

That conversation with Daniel led to my own
minor research on the topic. And here is the
website that has helped me visualize the colors
of the original 911R's. According to them, there
were 4 prototypes built and 20 customer cars.

http://www.pbase.com/archive_racing_porsche/inbox

I have seen in person only two 911R's in my lifetime. The first
one was one at the first PCA Parade I ever attended - in 1981-
which was held in Asheville, N.C. It was on displayed at the
massive concours held on the grounds of the Biltmore Estate
built by George Vanderbilt. It was the best Porsche concours
I have ever attended. And nothing has ever equaled it in the
intervening 35 years!

The second 911R I saw was #013, which is presently in the
private automotive collection of Jack Croul (former co-owner
of Behr Process Corp) in the vicinity of Newport Beach, Ca.
I visited his automotive warehouse a few years ago & took
these photos:

Interestingly enough, this car (#13) appears as 'Slate Grey' on that
list:

I happen to know one of its previous (early) owners, Dirk Layer.
So I will email to see if he can add to our knowledge base on the
original color of this 911R.

I also personally know one of the owners of #017.

I will try to contact Peter Kitchak, who has moved to
Napa (California) to start a winery*, to see if he can
add anything to this discussion.

If we have enough interest in the discussion of the
colors of the original 911Rs, perhaps we can start
a dedicated thread on the subject!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale, AZ

* Kitchak Cellars
http://www.kitchakcellars.com
Old 06-25-2016, 02:47 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for that post Eduardo. I cannot claim to be an expert on this topic. I suspect you know much more than me on this topic. There are quite a number of others on this forum who are also probably much more informed than me, and have connections to people who can provide more info. I'm thinking of some of the well known 918/VIP guys on here, anonymous918, whoopsy, unotaz, amongst others.

FWIW, there may be some controversy about the colours of the 20 productions cars. I will do a little more digging and post any information I am able to.

Also, the story behind the famous stripes on the 911R may be of interest to discuss. I mean of course the red, and later the green, ones. From RT's m4ever:

The white with red stripes was painted on the World Record 911 R (Monza 1967) . It was a homage to the nationality of the Swiss drivers (Jo Siffert, Rico Steinemann ). The second paint scheme : white with green stripes , was the homage to the sponsor of this amazing achievement (British Petroleum) and in this paint scheme the car was repainted and used for promotional purposes.
I have tried, in vain, to find out what the exact colour of the current 911R's red and green stripes are. I have heard suggestions that this isn't a regular 3M vinyl colour from their standard range. This would make sense to prevent people from exactly duplicating these stripes themselves.

Also, FWIW, I think it is interesting that neither of the current standard colours (white, GT silver) are entirely correct for the 1967 R. However, white is perhaps a modern take on hellelfenbein (light ivory), and of course has racing heritage for Porsche. GT silver does not seem to me to have an obvious historical connection to the R (it just looks fantastic and shows off the curves of this gorgeous car very well!!).

Of the currently approved list of PTS colours, the following are correct for 1967 (although not necessarily the R for all of them), as per a response I received from Melissa Witek:

When it does come back, the following colors are what I could find from MY1967 that are approved for us as Paint to Sample on 911s:
Slate Grey
Gulf Blue
Irish Green
Signal Yellow
Medium Ivory
Signal Green
Stone Grey
Here is a list of all the 1967 colours:

It includes many fabulous and obscure colours, most of which are not currently approved (such as Crystal blue, Leaf green, Turkey green, Pastel blue, Coffee brown, etc).

I should note that in addition to the PTS approved colours above, Black was also correct for 1967. It is available as one of the 3 special colours. Interestingly, of the other 2 special colours, Racing yellow might be considered a stand in for Lemon yellow (prototype 4), and Lava orange could be Porsche's attempt to revive Tangerine/blutorange (prototype 3). Finally, the PTS list also lists a colour called "Feuerrot" which may or may not be the same as the colour of prototype 2.

But like I mentioned above, the most interesting information we may hear more about relates to the colours of the non-prototype cars. We may yet learn some interesting info there. (This also includes some interesting back stories on how Cadillac gold came about, and something about the racing pedigree of Reventlow blue, which I understand is the one of only two metallic colours amongst the 24 cars.)

In any case, if rumours are true that there will be 50 PTS cars from the current 911R, there will be more to the story of the colours of the 911R soon! I have heard a few whispers of which colours might be coming, but obviously there will be much to learn here too. And of course, there will also be an as yet publicly unknown number of "pseudo-PTS" cars (the 3 special colours). Finally, there will also be a variety of combinations of colours as relate to the stripes, interior, wheels, etc for the new generation of R. So, lots to look forward to.

I believe Will (ptsrs) is very interested in putting together a review or registry of the R PTS colours. Perhaps he would be willing to expand this to include all 911R's, with more information about some of the other options and colours. I sure hope so!

Last edited by <3mph; 06-25-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: correction on Cadillac gold met
Old 06-25-2016, 03:11 AM
PTSRS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
I believe Will (ptsrs) is very interested in putting together a review or registry of the R PTS colours. Perhaps he would be willing to expand this to include all 911R's, with more information about some of the other options and colours. I sure hope so!
I certainly am, and I am sure it will be much more manageable tracking down the 50 "true PTS" R's + XXX units of "sonderfarbe" (Special Color) R's, than the PTS RS's I have been struggling to keep up with.

Off topic, but regarding the PTS RS's, I finally set aside an evening to catch up with the PTS RS's I have been tracking for my Excel registry. Based on purely extensive searching through social media and forums, the count has exceeded 310 units (Black, Racing Yellow and Miami Blue included). Accounting for the many that I'm certain I have missed, a guess of 400 units wouldn't be too far off.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:25 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome Will! I'm looking forward to that.

Also, for anyone interested, there are a few 911R's on display at Goodwood now. This includes one white with red stripes, one white with green stripes, and one light ivory 1967 R. Anyone who's there, please send more photos and ask lots of questions!

Old 06-25-2016, 03:31 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Here is a list of all the 1967 colors...It includes many fabulous
and obscure colours, most of which are not currently approved
(such as Crystal blue).
'Crystal Blue'? That 'fabulous & obscure' color sure sounds familiar!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 06-25-2016, 03:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Echoes from the Past...

Also, the story behind the famous stripes on the 911R may be of interest to discuss. I mean of course the red, and later the green, ones. From RT's m4ever:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 06-25-2016, 04:22 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Fwiw I was denied black on my R because "too many other people picked it already" leading me to believe they are allocating slots for a specific number of colors in the rumored "special" trio of black, lava and yellow.

Because the Magnesium room and carbon bumpers and carbon front trunk hood are common to the GT3RS, it makes sense that GT and White or (regular *** white, RA W for short) are standard colors for the car.

There is -to me- a HUGE color difference between Lava and Tangerine and I was on the fence (because Tangerine is my favorite historic orange) but decided to do white as my base color.

Racing yellow to me is not close enough to the 1967R yellow palate to do it. Although- a yellow R with black wheels and CXX stripes would be killer.

So I am white, CXX wheels, CXX stripes, and despite my effort at CXX interior, that was denied. I definitely wanted the pepita and the cxx interior option I tried canceled that.

Fwiw I have been told that in the 991, the full leather option is lighter weight than rubber bits- the opposite vs in 997 bodied cars...
Old 06-25-2016, 04:58 AM
PTSRS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Fwiw I was denied black on my R because "too many other people picked it already" leading me to believe they are allocating slots for a specific number of colors in the rumored "special" trio of black, lava and yellow. Because the Magnesium room and carbon bumpers and carbon front trunk hood are common to the GT3RS, it makes sense that GT and White or (regular *** white, RA W for short) are standard colors for the car. There is -to me- a HUGE color difference between Lava and Tangerine and I was on the fence (because Tangerine is my favorite historic orange) but decided to do white as my base color. Racing yellow to me is not close enough to the 1967R yellow palate to do it. Although- a yellow R with black wheels and CXX stripes would be killer. So I am white, CXX wheels, CXX stripes, and despite my effort at CXX interior, that was denied. I definitely wanted the pepita and the cxx interior option I tried canceled that. Fwiw I have been told that in the 991, the full leather option is lighter weight than rubber bits- the opposite vs in 997 bodied cars...
PM sent. And yes someone else also did mention that bit about the full leather. Interesting indeed.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:48 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

[QUOTE=Z356;13403211][COLOR="Blue"]
fastmd: What was the serial # & color of your colleague's
original 1967 R?

Eduardo, I am sure you know his collection, don't want to name him. He has a PTS 918 in a very special purple variation(to match another car in his collection).

He is very active in the Pcar world and his collection is in the top 3-4 in the world for pcars.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:49 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Good morning,

The "Special Colors" (e.g., Black, Orange, Yellow) were open momentarily and is now officially closed. I missed that window. I asked if it will open again, no confirmed news Porsche will re-open,. More than likely not. I am surprised they declined the request of C.J. Here in the Midwest, there are almost the same number of Black base color if not more chosen as that of the White base color, so maybe that is why C.J's. request was denied.

My base configuration:
U2 - GT Silver
26 - Leather Interior in Black/Tarpan Brown
904 - 911R Stripes in Green
ZAG - Windshield Top Tint
ZAM - Aluminum Model Designation Plaque
904 - 911R Stripes in Green
CRG - Side Stripes with Porsche Script in Green
XEY - LED Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System
XJW - Sport Design Exerior Mirror Upper Trim in Carbon Fiber
486 - GT Sport Manual Transmission
187 - Single-Mass Flywheel with Reinforced Clutch
474 - Front Axle Lift System
643 - Sport Chrono Package (Porsche Track Precision App and Preparation for Lap Trigger)
082 - Extended Range Fuel Tank 23.9 gallon
431 - 20" GT3 Wheels
P13 - Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Ran Sensor
630 - Light design Package
P11 - Full Bucket Seats
573 - Airconditioning
583 - Smoking Package
819 - Floor Mats
581 - Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
509 - Fire Extinguisher
XXD - Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated
P23 - Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module
680 - BOSE Surround Sound System
UN1 - Online Services
693 - 6-Disc CD/DVD Changer (with PCM)
671 - Voice Control

My expected time of arrival for my 911R, October. I know some owners even paid extra for "Air Freight" which costs another $15K as they don't want to wait any further.

As Z356 have a great historical record of all 911R from 1967, it would be nice to hear from other 911R owners what base color you picked, with or without stripes on your respective 911R.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911R PTS