Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:52 PM
LoloM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a picture of the pads :
Pads of scored disc

Pads of "safe" disc

Weird holes on the damaged disc pads. Do you guys think a default in the pad could be the reason for the scored disc ?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2016, 08:57 PM
'Trust'
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCCB's on the track, to me, would just embody the "pay to play" mentality. I prefer my PCCB's over steels any day. In fact, it's a deal breaker if a car doesn't have ceramics now for me lol.

To LoloM, it almost looks like your pads were braking apart, then that material getting caught on it's way out of the pad which led to scoring the rotor. I'd be asking for a warranty claim. Warranty doesn't cover components that typically wear, but you have a clear difference there one side to another.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Thanks for sharing - shame they went with an F type R which has massive brake fade problems after 1 hot lap.
True. Would be interesting to see the comparison on something like a GT4 where the iron rotors are already quite adequate on track for the car (same as on the heavier and faster GT3 and RS).
Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Hi guys, if you want a nice article for PCCBs vs. steel, please check this article comparing to f-types, one with ccbs, and one with steel.

http://api.app.evo.co.uk/editions/uk...aa1ab/web.html

TRACKAR, nice videos, nice driving...
Hadn't seen this article. Good find and finally something objective.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:37 PM
2006Z06
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LoloM
Here is a picture of the pads :
Pads of scored disc

Pads of "safe" disc

Weird holes on the damaged disc pads. Do you guys think a default in the pad could be the reason for the scored disc ?

Thanks
it's been over a year since your post...any update on wear/scoring?
i have a few track days on my car and have never been off-course...when picking up the car for oil change the service advisor directs me to the rotors and shows me scoring...not too diffferent than your rotors.....he says he'will order new bolts so he can remove calipers to investigate further....does this sound right?
Old 09-28-2017, 07:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

can someone direct me to the "best" forum thread on PCCB's vs. Steels for longevity - how long do PCCB"s actually last for heavy track use....for myself I just can't see having $20,000 consumables on the car…correct me if I'm wrong but OEM porsche rotors are $9500 for a set of 2?

for me it just can't be worth $10,000/Axel vs. steels

I've order my car with PCCB'S and will lovingly bubble wrap them for the next owner…after I'm done flogging the car with steels on it…
Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

PeteVB has a thread full of great info.. need updated info how the newest gen rotors are holding up.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I've order my car with PCCB'S and will lovingly bubble wrap them for the next owner…after I'm done flogging the car with steels on it…
If I had PCCB's on my car, I'd seriously consider the Surface Transforms rotors - less expensive than PCCB, longer lasting, and can be refurbished. Having to use 410/390 and thicker iron rotors seems a little unnecessarily heavy...

In fact, I might consider the ST's with Red Calipers and their spacer kit (but then limits ability to use 19" wheels)

https://surfacetransforms.com/porsche-991-brake-kits
Old 09-28-2017, 07:50 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pccb track use

Had a 991.1 15 GT3 I tracked at Sebring. Red group (hero lap 2:19.xx) My PCCB showed noticeable wear after about 5 track days! Pulled them and switched to ST ceramics. The PCCB's still worked great but I got nervous. Put them back on when I traded my car in.

The ST's lasted about 1 yr (maybe 8-10 track days) and now need resurfacing.

My experience only and yrmv.

My .2 GT3 is ordered with iron rotors and I'll put the resurfaced ST ceramics on at delivery.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:34 PM
2006Z06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p997s123
Had a 991.1 15 GT3 I tracked at Sebring. Red group (hero lap 2:19.xx) My PCCB showed noticeable wear after about 5 track days! Pulled them and switched to ST ceramics. The PCCB's still worked great but I got nervous. Put them back on when I traded my car in.

The ST's lasted about 1 yr (maybe 8-10 track days) and now need resurfacing.

My experience only and yrmv.

My .2 GT3 is ordered with iron rotors and I'll put the resurfaced ST ceramics on at delivery.
By noticeable wear, do you mean the striations as per the rotors above? Does that mean lesser life for the rotor? If so, then the higher cost/longer life proposition for the pccb really change for me. For what it's worth, When I run my fingers over my striations I don't feel any difference from the rest of the rotor face, no grove for example....
Old 09-28-2017, 09:58 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Surface Transforms Rotors

Guys,

I have a set for sale at a good price.

Good condition, take offs from my GT3 991.1.

​​​​​​I used Pagid RSC1, so wear is minimal.

PM me for details
Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006Z06
By noticeable wear, do you mean the striations as per the rotors above? Does that mean lesser life for the rotor? If so, then the higher cost/longer life proposition for the pccb really change for me. For what it's worth, When I run my fingers over my striations I don't feel any difference from the rest of the rotor face, no grove for example....
I had one front rotor with one striation. Probably caused by stone. However, there were a few areas where the rotor wasn't smooth and seemed like it was close to delaminating. I had the early gen pccb on a 996 GT3 and those grossly delaminated.

When this newest pccb for the 991.1 GT3 came out, there were threads stating a 918 had over a few thousand miles on original PCCB's at the ring and I was hopeful these new rotors would last a long time. I'm sure these new rotors are better than previous gen but they will not last long on a track like Sebring with multiple full hard braking zones.

I did like like the feel of the PCCB's better than the ST ceramics though. Better modulation. Braking power equivocal. Will try different pads when I put them on the .2.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:26 PM
2006Z06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p997s123
I had one front rotor with one striation. Probably caused by stone. However, there were a few areas where the rotor wasn't smooth and seemed like it was close to delaminating. I had the early gen pccb on a 996 GT3 and those grossly delaminated.

When this newest pccb for the 991.1 GT3 came out, there were threads stating a 918 had over a few thousand miles on original PCCB's at the ring and I was hopeful these new rotors would last a long time. I'm sure these new rotors are better than previous gen but they will not last long on a track like Sebring with multiple full hard braking zones.

I did like like the feel of the PCCB's better than the ST ceramics though. Better modulation. Braking power equivocal. Will try different pads when I put them on the .2.
Thx, I guess I'll find out what they say next week when I bring it in...the service manager says it might be caused by grit/ sand in the pad, also suggested a steel option....I hope it isn't an upsell plan!
Old 09-29-2017, 12:49 AM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

My 991.2 GT3 is already on a vessel and it was ordered with PCCB from day one. It was never a question. I just took delivery of my 2018 GTS cab,and that car has steel brakes. On the ultra-high performance models, I always go with ceramics. I want those cars to be at their very best as engineered by their companies. Porsche themselves in the GT3 brochures states that PCCB offers "shorter stopping distances", in addition to better ride and suspension management due to lower unsprung weight. On a GT3 or GT2, I would give up leather interior and PTS before I give up PCCB.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Terrence
My 991.2 GT3 is already on a vessel and it was ordered with PCCB from day one. It was never a question. I just took delivery of my 2018 GTS cab,and that car has steel brakes. On the ultra-high performance models, I always go with ceramics. I want those cars to be at their very best as engineered by their companies. Porsche themselves in the GT3 brochures states that PCCB offers "shorter stopping distances", in addition to better ride and suspension management due to lower unsprung weight. On a GT3 or GT2, I would give up leather interior and PTS before I give up PCCB.
Agreed, said it since day one, PCCB FTW!

Quick Reply: Maybe PCCB really is better?