Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe PCCB really is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

I changed my PCCB's to steel on my 2007 GT3 during a trackday. Feeling the weight difference when doing the switch made me feel ill.

I could feel the difference in steering feel when driving away from the garage. Now the steering was less responsive.

After a couple of laps on the track I was adjusted to the steel brakes...
Old 04-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The first time I squeezed the brakes of the PCCB car, I was shocked at how good the brake feel was. It was like the difference between walking with socks versus bare feet.
Totally agree, even though so many people on here parrot the same tired line about it just being overboosted, you're confusing boost with feel, blah, blah. The feel of PCCB brakes is light years better than steel. Is there really a measureable performance increase in terms of lap times? Don't know, don't care. But it do know I feel way more confident and in control braking my PCCB big pig than I do my steel little pig. It's a much more pleasurable experience and I would never spec a Porsche without them again.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Off course better at everything, there is no disadvantage except you have to be extra careful with the rotors when putting the wheels on and cost..

They even keep your wheels clean, but then strangely so do the RE10 pads...
Old 04-04-2016, 07:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Off course better at everything, there is no disadvantage except you have to be extra careful with the rotors when putting the wheels on and cost..

They even keep your wheels clean, but then strangely so do the RE10 pads...
Great pads by the way - thanks for the recommendation
Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subjectives on track are one thing. What about lap times?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,797 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Subjectives on track are one thing. What about lap times?
Didn't get lap times, so no objective data there. But the car with PCCB was certainly more fun to drive, and it's better behavior would give me confidence to push harder than my car on this track.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had PCCBs on all my previous generation GT3s and one thing I noticed is that the system they have on the 991 is light years ahead from older ones in terms of feedback. So they have improved exponentially.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:44 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like pccb better than my previous 991 gt3 with rs29's and motel600. Stock the pccb have to me better feel and more power. Could be the 265/325 tire footprint though. In any case I have no reason to improve them
Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by datax
I had PCCBs on all my previous generation GT3s and one thing I noticed is that the system they have on the 991 is light years ahead from older ones in terms of feedback. So they have improved exponentially.
Great meeting you, and thanks for letting me drive the car!
Old 04-05-2016, 02:13 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I replaced my PCCBs already, did not even consider changing out to steel.
it definitely made my wallet lighter
Old 04-05-2016, 04:20 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't understand the need for this thread. It has never been a dispute which is actually better performing. The ONLY reason people who track often, use the iron rotors vs pccb's is replacement costs for the rotors once worn, which WILL happen with frequent track use. Performance wise, it's well established that PCCB's are superior in every aspect.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:23 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I really don't understand the need for this thread. It has never been a dispute which is actually better performing. The ONLY reason people who track often, use the iron rotors vs pccb's is replacement costs for the rotors once worn, which WILL happen with frequent track use. Performance wise, it's well established that PCCB's are superior in every aspect.
I think the interest of this tread is not about establishing the best performing setup but its more about the magnitude of the difference...

My next car specs will be locked soon and I'm going to go steel for this one as I was always worried about damage/costs on my previous GT3 with PCCB...

In my mind, the performance gap is certainly there but should not be that huge...?? Can the alignment/tires between the 2 cars play an important factor as well?

PCCB are great and this tread makes me challenge my decision to go with steel...
Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I admit that I didn't pay much attention to PCCB discussions in the past because the cost seemed like gouging, they're not popular among track guys, I doubted that the difference in brake feel would be substantial, and I thought any differences in handling would be negligible.

Driving the PCCB car has made me question all of that, and the comments in this thread are making me think that the significant differences I perceived are real.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Depends how much you track and how hard you and the track are on brakes.
There is a thread here about accurate PCCB wear and that indicates life of the rotors is about 50/60 days of that driver for the fronts and more for the rears.

Forum Sponsors claim refurbishment for $1000 per corner...
Not enough real world feed back on PCCB rotors and refurbished ones for me yet.

In the past I've done 50 track days a year, now with more cars and less time I could probably make the PCCB last longer than I own a car..

A GT4 is slower and lighter, so in that application they should last even longer. The same PCCB's only cost less then $8000, I would consider it as I don't see a GT4 as a car I would keep very long..

The new generation brakes both steel and PCCB are such an improvement that they are overkill on a GT4 and maybe even on RS.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

^ +1 - All very theoretical but I suspect the tires are really the limitation vs the brakes. I have no doubt that for the first 2 to 3 laps PCCBs will clock a faster time, but after that I would suspect they will be very close to equal as the tires start to get greasy. Early on I would bet the advantage is going to come more from reduced rotational mass leading to better acceleration and direction changes, less so than improved braking performance which I would view again as tire limited with R compounds.

With slicks I think is where you will see PCCBS shine.

That said, I order PCCBs because I think they look better...

Quick Reply: Maybe PCCB really is better?