Sponsored by:

Heavy Smoke When Adding Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:25 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Heavy Smoke When Adding Oil?

I have a 2016 GT3 with about ~2,000 miles. The engine oil level was near the minimum so I incrementally added oil while the engine was hot and running. I did not overfill it and the new reading is one full segment below the maximum. Toward the end of the process the car started to blow A LOT of blue/white smoke from the tailpipes, mostly from the right bank but also from the left bank. During this time the car sputtered a couple of times but didn't stall. There was no oil leaked or spilled. After about 5 minutes the smoking had stopped and the car seems to run fine.

Has anyone else experienced this and what might cause it?

Thx!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:48 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Blue smoke isn't good
Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How much in total did you add?
Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What does the level read now?
Old 03-31-2016, 05:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

And stop running the motor, till sorted out properly.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by roger sf
I have a 2016 GT3 with about ~2,000 miles. The engine oil level was near the minimum so I incrementally added oil while the engine was hot and running. I did not overfill it and the new reading is one full segment below the maximum. Toward the end of the process the car started to blow A LOT of blue/white smoke from the tailpipes, mostly from the right bank but also from the left bank. During this time the car sputtered a couple of times but didn't stall. There was no oil leaked or spilled. After about 5 minutes the smoking had stopped and the car seems to run fine.

Has anyone else experienced this and what might cause it?

Thx!
I haven't experienced that but then I've never tried adding oil while the engine was running. The oil level should be checked with the engine running and at operating temperature, but oil shouldn't be added that way. (see the excerpt below from the manual). I suspect that removing the oil filler cap and adding oil with the engine running caused a situation where oil could be sucked in somewhere where it shouldn't go....

1. Before opening the engine compartment lid,
read off the oil level on the multi-function
display. Please see the chapter “DISPLAY AND
MEASUREMENT OF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL”
on page 77.
2. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
3. Switch off engine (at operating temperature).
4. Open the engine compartment lid.
5. Unscrew cap on oil filler opening (illustration).
6. Top up engine oil according to the gauge on
the multi-function display.
7. Carefully close cap on the oil filler opening.
The following users liked this post:
M3 Defector (03-11-2021)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:57 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Started at yellow "minimum" level and added 8/10 of a quart and it now reads one full segment below the maximum line. The car has not visibly smoked prior.

I was wondering if having the oil filler cap off might create a change in the pressures in the engine that drew oil into the combustion chamber.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Started at yellow "minimum" level and added 8/10 of a quart and it now reads one full segment below the maximum line. The car has not visibly smoked prior.

I was wondering if having the oil filler cap off might create a change in the pressures in the engine that drew oil into the combustion chamber.
As I pointed out above, I think that because you tried this with the engine running, that's exactly what happened....
Old 03-31-2016, 06:04 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As I pointed out above, I think that because you tried this with the engine running, that's exactly what happened....
Thanks Mike. I think our posts crossed in the netsphere. Our theory seems to make sense. I would like to know what actually transpired in the engine. It seems fine now.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Happened to me, no problem goes away.

If you turn off the engine it seems to take forever for the level to read right after restarting I was told, so I fill up with engine running.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks Mike. I think our posts crossed in the netsphere. Our theory seems to make sense. I would like to know what actually transpired in the engine. It seems fine now.
Roger, I guess they must have. I strongly doubt any harm was done, and your "experiment" at least shows why adding oil with the engine off is good practice.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Happened to me, no problem goes away.

If you turn off the engine it seems to take forever for the level to read right after restarting I was told, so I fill up with engine running.
Blue smoke and RTFM be damned! Ever the non-conformist, eh Peter?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I haven't experienced that but then I've never tried adding oil while the engine was running. The oil level should be checked with the engine running and at operating temperature, but oil shouldn't be added that way. (see the excerpt below from the manual). I suspect that removing the oil filler cap and adding oil with the engine running caused a situation where oil could be sucked in somewhere where it shouldn't go.... 1. Before opening the engine compartment lid, read off the oil level on the multi-function display. Please see the chapter “DISPLAY AND MEASUREMENT OF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL” on page 77. 2. Park the vehicle on a level surface. 3. Switch off engine (at operating temperature). 4. Open the engine compartment lid. 5. Unscrew cap on oil filler opening (illustration). 6. Top up engine oil according to the gauge on the multi-function display. 7. Carefully close cap on the oil filler opening.
+1

I was just going to post...you never want to add oil with the engine running! IN ANY CAR!

I'd like to see a schematic of how Porsche is running their PCV(positive crankcase ventilation) system...perhaps that would explain the smoke... This system is mandatory in all cars. Without it,there would be too much pressure created in the crankcase resulting in engine damage,beside blown seals etc. Back in the day,they used to vent oil vapors and excessive pressure out in the atmosphere,which is not acceptable for today's standards. So today,they vent back into the intake to burn in the combustion process.

I wonder,since you had the engine running and vacuum applied,whether if somehow fresh oil got sucked into the intake and burned off,resulting in the smoke you've experienced...
Old 03-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Roger, Mike and Neanicu is right the smoke you refer to is cause by depressurization/vacuum of the system which results in a minor heart attack by the owner. Removing the cap while the engine is running may cause the car to stall and throw check engine lights for the dealer to reset. I had the same issue a few weeks back while cleaning the rear. I removed the cap so I can get the dust and all hell broke loose. Asked the dealer and they confirmed it.

BTW. If you guys are still having issues with the oil level indicator lights, go back to the dealer for the reset. There was a bulletin on all cars having issues with the lights that should be measure with an external device rather than relying on the cars indicators. Just had my car done.

Last edited by Dude-; 03-31-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Opening the oil fill and leaving the engine running will cause smoke. It might take a couple of minutes to clear depending on how log the fill cap was off the car.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Roger, I guess they must have. I strongly doubt any harm was done, and your "experiment" at least shows why adding oil with the engine off is good practice.

Blue smoke and RTFM be damned! Ever the non-conformist, eh Peter?
I really should read the manual, but there are so many words, I feel like sending it to my attorney to translate as I usually do with that many words.
They should write it like James Clavell so I can get into it.

I was told by another track junky in Germany that they do this to not lose time between track session because after restarting it takes forever to get a solid read on the gauge as opposed to immediate if you leave it running.
These guys were full of tons of good and very helpful advise and the Porsche mechanic who was slinging new engines at GT3's was with me when I did it, so I trust that.

Now, I only added 100-200cc at the time and it never burped. But at Sebring I had to add more and it was super windy blowing the oil all over the place so I initially took way longer and than I quickly dumped in 400cc and it gave smoke for about 5 seconds. It cant be good but its the only time its done it in dozens of oil top offs..

Talking about oil, its weird but my car has stopped using oil.. Bizarre.

Quick Reply: Heavy Smoke When Adding Oil?