Sponsored by:

Money2536's Update on Dundon Motorsports Exhaust w/ TTFS Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:00 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Money2536's Update on Dundon Motorsports Exhaust w/ TTFS Tune

I looked for a place to update everyone in my original post, and realized there was just way too much going on it, so I'm making a new one.

The original thread is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...s-exhaust.html

Let me preface this thread by reminding you, I am unbiased. I didn't know Charles or Jaime. I just picked up the phone and called them because I was an interested potential customer. I paid for this stuff like anyone else would.(Although I'm waiting for a check back from them for doing all of this work. Ha, ha... ) Someday, maybe companies will start sending me this stuff. If you haven't seen my crazy journal, then you might have missed the 13 iterations I have had on the seemingly never-ending pursuit of the perfect exhaust for me. Despite stating (for the fifth time), that: "I'm done messing with the exhaust." The Dundon project intrigued me.

They did what I've been asking for someone to do for so long. Stop taking exhaust parts from the 997 and bolting them onto the 991 or making some fancier version of the stock exhaust. I was praying someone would actually start from scratch, get on the dyno, and figure it out. Then we will buy it! After having the exhaust for about a month now and then getting my cloned DME back from TTFS , this exhaust has given me even more than what I been begging to get. Like, a crap ton more.

The sound is absolutely, positively amazing. Now for you more evolved gentlemen, keep in mind that this isn't a stock-like set-up. It is much more aggressive. But...the amazing part is that there is no drone, like none. It's crazy. I would say the set-up is 40% louder than stock, but yet is civil when driving around. Outside the car it sounds like the world is ending, but inside is rather tame. It's really amazing. The greatest part about the exhaust note happens when you are coasting to a stop, pull the paddles, and give your fellow highway patrons what I like to call a "courtesy rev." I don't care who you are. It will put a smile on your face. Oh...and there's that little fact that the car make 50+whp more than stock!

Lord knows that factory valve operation was almost enough to drive me insane. (Alright...more insane than I already am.) But it is infinitely more seamless and is no longer annoying on this set-up. It's still there, but if it doesn't annoy me, you will most likely be fine with it.

After some back and forth with Jaime, I decided to get my DME cloned to maximize performance. Since my car is an early 2014 build, I was getting a CEL intermittenly. I was really reluctant to pull the trigger on this. What I wanted was this:

1.) Pull the OEM DME.
2.) Overnight it.
3.) Have is cloned (copied), so we didn't have to mess with my factory unit.
4.) Overnight it back to me.
5.) Plug it in and move on with my life.

I didn't want to have to talk beg and plead, just send it and get it back. The process was exactly what I wanted; simple, easy, and no issues. No CELs, more power (butt dyno), and my car drives like an amplified version of stock. When I'm done, I just pull the DME and put the stock one back in place. On a side note DME Removal is super easy. I then overnighted to Tuning Tech Frank Smith, TTFS. I shipped it on Monday and had it back a few days later.

In conclusion, if I were you, I'd highly consider just ordering the package exhaust. Just call them up and get it done. I wouldn't lead you astray. I love it!

Last edited by Money2536; 03-16-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to how this all panned out for you and your final reaction...
Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Wait a minute, is that DIRT I see under the engine cover? I think you are slipping, Matt! LOL

BTW, is there a before and after dyno chart somewhere showing gains from the cloned ECU?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Wait a minute, is that DIRT I see under the engine cover? I think you are slipping, Matt! LOL

BTW, is there a before and after dyno chart somewhere showing gains from the cloned ECU?
I knew someone would catch me slipping.

There is one on one of the threads.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:49 PM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting for this thread! Nice that you've decided to go with ecu tuning, for sure it'll give the headers it's full potential! I've been waiting for the RS tune and hopefully they will have good results too... Keep us posted!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Great work
Old 03-16-2016, 10:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I knew someone would catch me slipping.

There is one on one of the threads.
LOL You know I love reading your posts and watching your videos! Good stuff man. At some point I will go the route you are going.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:30 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't wait to hear and see how your car compares to stock on the smokies.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Can you explain further about the DME? You have two units? A flashed one and your original one? How much was the extra OEM unit? $

Not sure if I'm even understanding correctly, so I apologize if I'm clueless.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:42 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
I can't wait to hear and see how your car compares to stock on the smokies.
Agreed!

Matt - you up for a side by side drag at the airstrip?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:45 AM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, thanks again for the great write up... Can't ask for or expect what you are doing.

Originally Posted by STG991
Can you explain further about the DME? You have two units? A flashed one and your original one? How much was the extra OEM unit? $

Not sure if I'm even understanding correctly, so I apologize if I'm clueless.
So the extra DME is just that. Most people are afraid of tuning the stock ECU while the car is under warranty so we thought of a decent solution. This exhaust does work a lot better with a flash in many ways, so this is what we came up with.

Currently New 991 GT3 DME's are only around $1000-1100. We bought several just for this purpose. We have the ability to clone your stock DME in your car, then take that file, upload the tune and such to the new DME, then you now have 2 DMe's that will work in your car. One is original factory one, and the other is the clone with tune. This way you can have your cake with the tune and many other options we can do with it, and then if you have to take it in to the dealer and are worried you can plug and play swap DMEs put the original one back and go to the dealer.

Don't quote me on this but I think the new DME, clone, tune, cable and writer for more updates all in is $3xxx right now. As time goes on the DME price will go up, more than likely when production ceases. I think we have 5 new DMEs ready to go right now.

We are working on many other changes and updates for this and with the "all in" package you should get updates and so on as more things are available. We are trying to get access to the exhaust flap maps, so maybe they just stay open all the time with the button on, more torque limiting maps, being able to fix the top end dive, possibly cam timing adjustments for gas mileage and so on etc etc. then once your clone ecu is all crazy awesome makes the car way better, if you need to you can swap the original DME back in when you service it or say you decide to put it back to stock, well you still have the stock DME
Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Sounds awesome! I would totally do it but only two things are stopping me - 1) E engine, that's probably going to need major work/replacement sooner or later, and I do not want Porsche to have an excuse to put it on me; 2) Laguna Seca sound limits :-(.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:00 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks Charles@Dundon for the explanation
Old 03-17-2016, 01:57 AM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the plan! At least we'll have 2 ecu's...
Old 03-17-2016, 02:12 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

The tune setup also includes a handheld flashing unit to be able to upload updates as we release them.

Total is OEM Ecu: $1100 (we have 5)
Cloning of OEM Ecu: $250
TTFS/DundonStage 1 Tune: $1950
Handheld Flashing Tool: $450

As Charles said, we wanted to offer as safe a tuning option as possible.
The cloning leaves the original Ecu unmolested...

Quick Reply: Money2536's Update on Dundon Motorsports Exhaust w/ TTFS Tune