Sponsored by:

More RS Allocations on their way

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,386 Likes on 720 Posts
Default More RS Allocations on their way

Alright people, more RS allocations will be coming. They are not done. Stay closed to your Dealers because they do not know.

How do I know - very interesting. So, I am talking to some one about various Porsche models ect and there is another person present a little off to the side. He is just wearing jeans and seems like an average Joe. Every question I am asking this person he is referring to the average Joe to answer. I finally ask the person in a polite way you really just happen to know quite a bit. He introduces himself and works directly for Porsche. I was surprised and introduce myself. It was an interesting conversation and I will not go in to details who he is.

I ask him if more RS are coming. He say absolutely yes. I ask him what about GT4(since I have one coming) and he says no way. Done. Will not see another one for a couple years. The most undervalued Porsche in the line up. Expect the the next GT4 pricing will be significantly higher( He did not say that but was really easy to read in to.).

I ask about the next GT3 being offered in a manual. He says that is what the 991R is. I say come on let me know. He says, that is what the 991R is. In the end he says I would not guarantee it right now. What I took from this is no final decision has been made.

Thru out this conversation I start mentioning how these RS prices have gone to the roof and I say is it the 918 program driving this stuff up. No, it are those forums that are driving the demand up.

One thing I learn is the sleeper in the line up as a potential future classic will be the new Spyder. There are some dealers that did not even order one and the smart ones are trying to ****** them up. There may never be another Spyder with a 3.8 liter NA engine. I also did not realize how so few of these there are going to be. By Aug you will not be able to find one.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

One thing I learn is the sleeper in the line up as a potential future classic will be the new Spyder. There are some dealers that did not even order one and the smart ones are trying to ****** them up. There may never be another Spyder with a 3.8 liter NA engine. I also did not realize how so few of these there are going to be. By Aug you will not be able to find one.
While I just bought one and this would be great, the odd thing is that they didn't sell out and there are still a bunch of them out there to be had new, and they can be had below sticker. I don't think dealers are really looking for them, they're trying to get rid of them. I think part of that is timing (selling a drop top in the winter), but there clearly hasn't been as much demand for the Spyder as the GT4.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:40 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While I just bought one and this would be great, the odd thing is that they didn't sell out and there are still a bunch of them out there to be had new, and they can be had below sticker. I don't think dealers are really looking for them, they're trying to get rid of them. I think part of that is timing (selling a drop top in the winter), but there clearly hasn't been as much demand for the Spyder as the GT4.
Where are ones available below MSRP?
Old 03-12-2016, 02:41 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
exact same thing happened with the 987 Spyder... try to find a nice one with the right options now!
Old 03-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This bears out what my SM told me a few weeks back - and on both counts ; more RS's coming and the GT4 is done .
Old 03-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^Exactly what I said to them twice. The Spyder has been over shadowed by the GT4. Plus, the last iteration the top was a PITA. I went thru all of this. That is why they are calling it a "sleeper". Some car classics were ones' that did not sell out in days. I kind of understand what they mean. It is a great looking car and an engine to boot for weekend drives. Supply is very limited but yes - you can call many dealers and grab one but not many dealers have more than maybe a couple. Some of the larger Dealers are getting less Spyders than GT4s. Very limited run

I found this to be interesting. I think if one could not get a GT4 and you were not going to track it; the Spyder would be on top of my list.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Four Liter
This bears out what my SM told me a few weeks back - and on both counts ; more RS's coming and the GT4 is done .
Yep - I believe it because this was a high level source.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the news. My dealer promised me an RS allocation that if it happens will replace my GT3, and I have a 3.8 Spyder!!!
Old 03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

^How s the Spyder vs your GT3?
Old 03-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Expect the the next GT4 pricing will be significantly higher( He did not say that but was really easy to read in to.).
Assuming that is true, I expect it will have a GT3-derived engine. I can't see them pulling that old 3.8 off the shelf in a couple years and certifying it for one low-production model. And with it, the whole GT model range will be pushed up-market.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:59 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Next GT4 at higher price would fill the space left by
GT3 .2 not being produced and a kind of 991.2 R
Old 03-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Where are ones available below MSRP?
There were two nice builds available in Ohio for about $5k off each. I got 2% off from my local dealer and others on RL have commented doing even better recently. A bunch of the Spyders out there at dealers have been sitting on the showroom floor a while.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by SJJ28
exact same thing happened with the 987 Spyder... try to find a nice one with the right options now!
I agree that I think, over time, the new Spyder will get more love.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^ It is not about love just poor timing. Every enthusiast scrambling for an RS, lightly used GT3, GT4 ect. The Spyder has sort of been a little forgotten.

When the weather breaks they will all be snatched up
Old 03-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Assuming that is true, I expect it will have a GT3-derived engine. I can't see them pulling that old 3.8 off the shelf in a couple years and certifying it for one low-production model. And with it, the whole GT model range will be pushed up-market.
As long as we're speculating, my guess is that the GT4 will remain distanced from the GT3 and therefore won't have a GT3 derived power plant. The next GT4 will be the halo car for the new mid-engine 718 line and as such will have an uprated turbo 4.

Quick Reply: More RS Allocations on their way