Sponsored by:

911 R allocations

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:07 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 911 R allocations

Couple of days ago frustrated and unable to find an allocation for 911R after buying over 20 porsches in the last 10 year I wrote an email to the CEO of PCNA Klaus Zellner. In a nutshell I made an argument that 918 "loyalty" customers should not have a preferential treatment to someone who has been truly loyal to the brand for many years. Especially since many of them are simply taking the allocations to flip the cars. Here is the lackluster disappointing response from PCNA:
"Thank you for emailing us at the Porsche Contact Center. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The Porsche 911 R represents a very exclusive offering by Porsche Cars North America and has created a great deal of excitement and anticipation, however; the demand for this model far exceeded supply, and many interested prospects were not able to purchase this vehicle.

There was a very limited number of vehicles that were available to the North American market. Porsche Dealers are responsible for controlling their order bank and waiting lists, and Porsche Cars North America cannot direct a dealer to sell a 911 R to a particular customer.

At this time, there are no allocations remaining for the 911 R as it is sold out.

We appreciate your contact and brining this matter to our attention. Please stay in touch with your local dealer for information about future limited production Porsche models.

We truly appreciate your feedback and most importantly, your evident loyalty to the Porsche brand."
Old 03-10-2016, 02:12 PM
GrunHolle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A canned response from some secretary, nice.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Is this really a surprise?

Nice form letter they're sending everyone with the same complaint. Translation = we don't care.

I know of a guy who's bought 10 Porsche's in just the last 12 months. No R.

Last edited by STG; 03-10-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Every limited production car manufactured by Porsche for the next 8 or 9 years is a car made for 918 customers only. There will be no loyalty reciprocated by Porsche to customers. Therefore, for the next 8 or 9 years, if you did not buy a 918, you should not be loyal to Porsche either. Who you should be loyal to is the dealership that gets you hard to get cars at MSRP.

Porsche is making a big mistake by taking the course of action they have but, it's up to customers to let them know it by buying from other manufacturers. There is no louder voice than the one coming from your wallet as far as Porsche or any other manufacturer is concerned. Buy your ACRs/650s/488s and smile doing it.

Dan (quips)
Old 03-10-2016, 02:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I tried tray before
meh
I should
Jae bogt a 918
but I
really don't like 918. didn't give me woody

but if u stop responding to
the parts bin 991r or the other special editions they will eventually stop making it bc they won't have much value.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

I posted this in the configuration thread, but it probably belongs here:

After watching the AP video all I could think was "Hell, yeah - I want that." Seems like it would be a ton of fun on the road.

Then I thought about how many people would actually drive the "great driver's car" and it made me both sad and angry. This should have been a mainstream model so enthusiasts could actually enjoy it.

I'm not ranting or bitter, it just seems like a shame to know that a car with so much potential fun factor will most likely sit in a collection for many of the owners - especially when you can feel the enthusiasm AP has for the car when describing it.

For those here who will own and drive it - I have a great deal of respect and envy for you.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:50 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I posted this in the configuration thread, but it probably belongs here:

After watching the AP video all I could think was "Hell, yeah - I want that." Seems like it would be a ton of fun on the road.

Then I thought about how many people would actually drive the "great driver's car" and it made me both sad and angry. This should have been a mainstream model so enthusiasts could actually enjoy it.

I'm not ranting or bitter, it just seems like a shame to know that a car with so much potential fun factor will most likely sit in a collection for many of the owners - especially when you can feel the enthusiasm AP has for the car when describing it.

For those here who will own and drive it - I have a great deal of respect and envy for you.
Maybe it's the homer in me but I really think that Porsche will try to do as close to the right thing as possible here. What that means to me, is to take that positive reaction and mold the .2 gt3 after it. No it won't have the number badge or the seat inserts, but I think it will have the 6 speed and hopefully some lightweight options.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:57 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone needs to realize that the 911R wouldn't exist if it were not FOR the 918 buyers.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:01 PM
ghostryder
Advanced

I don't get the 991r. Looks like another 911, so what if it has a 6 speed.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I can see the limited edition desire.
But,
From a drivers perspective, I would rather build my own weekend lightweight with a sweet engine. Vintage feel.
Just my $0.02
Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by FJSeattle
Everyone needs to realize that the 911R wouldn't exist if it were not FOR the 918 buyers.
Initially I was going to disagree with you, but the more I think about it, it is purely a parts-bin gift for the 918 buyers (didn't they already get their own Turbo S edition?), disguised as a model made for the Porsche 'purists', cloaked in a marketing exercise to assure the masses that Porsche still makes focused drivers cars. They weren't going to buy one anyway, but it enables them to justify the price premium over other SUVs they are cross-shopping.

May have looked like a brilliant plan on the whiteboard at HQ, but I am surely not the only customer they have lost as a result.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I really want to comment on this entire topic but reality is that even if I could have bought this car I am not sure I would have. Its a fantastic idea but for $240k (my options CAD) I would rather have something that doesn't look like another 911 on the street. I swear Porsche has a problem on their hands, they have completely "whored" out the 991 body style. At least give us a wing if you are gonna charge that massive premium! And if the ONLY way you can get the premium is by making it so dang limited SHAME ON YOU!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FJSeattle
That makes perfect sense. Like a little gift. Have your best costumers pay for a little R/D for gen2 991gt3.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Originally Posted by STG991
Is this really a surprise?

Nice form letter they're sending everyone with the same complaint. Translation = we don't care.

I know of a guy who's bought 10 Porsche's in just the last 12 months. No R.
Wow close to a car a month.
Hope he is a happy guy.
I'll have to tell my wife about him.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:45 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostryder
I don't get the 991r. Looks like another 911, so what if it has a 6 speed.
I agree. Now if it had a 4.2 and a ducktail, I'd be interested. If a 6-speed ends up in the 991.2 GT3, the R will only retain it's uniqueness for the next 18-24 months.

Quick Reply: 911 R allocations