Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 R allocations

Old 03-12-2016, 09:47 PM
CanadaRS
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You do realized the VIP program only runs in the USA, via PCNA right?
This is a known fact.

So at most perhaps 250 cars or so are guaranteed for the 918 customers worldwide.
Interesting part is that 300 - 330 R are allocated to NA, that leaves 60 cars to regular Porsche customers. No more than 30 R's to Canada, less than 918 sold

For rest of the world, some local HQ will ask their 918 customers first, others leave it for the dealers to decide. Porsche GB for example doesn't give the preferred treatment to 918 customers, quite few 918 customers there doesn't get an allocation to the R.
Again, 918 buyers are asked first

There was never 'equal' access to cars, it was just an illusion.
we all know that, just like life

Take the 918 out of the equation, if you walked into a Porsche dealership and order an R, while a regular Joe also walk in to buy one, but the dealer only has 1 allocation, who will get the car? You or Joe? If you gets it and he doesn't, then should he use the same argument about not having equal access on you? Saying you get preferred treatment because of some purchase history with the dealer.
imagine their would be no 918 program just preferred customers, I doubt all 918 customers would make a run for the dealership with every new "special' model, in Canada all cars are going to 918 buyers, there is not one open allocation

Are you bitter simply because you couldn't gain access to a 'gold mine'? Are you sure you wanted an R for the right reasons?
no not bitter, I do drive my cars, also on the track

Take the limited edition factor out of the equation, the 991.2 GT3 will be better than the R in every factor and comes with a 6-speed.
The future will tell, so far there is no 991 GT with 3 pedals

Oh by the way, did you buy the 4.0 brand new? What makes you so special to get a limited production car while others can't? Where is the 'equal access' back then? You must have made a handsome profit selling it too. So could we label you a 'profiteer' from buying and selling Porsche GT cars like you labeled the 918 buyers?
By the way the 4.0 I bought "used" above list at Pfaff and sold it to get a 991 RS, no regrets, some money gain, yes, but I got only one *** to drive my cars

Last edited by CanadaRS; 03-12-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:57 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
The 918 guys paid for the privilege of having first choice. Nothing wrong with that.
Hmmm, lets see. I have purchased at least 7 911's in the past 12 years. Add those up and I've spent more or as much then the guy who just dropped $900K on one car. Plus I've done it consistently and had my cars serviced over the years including tires etc...

Last I checked my money is as green as theirs.

In fact I think I'm a better Porsche customer then the guy who just dropped big money on one car if that all they did.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

You buy a car, you get a car. Porsche doesn't owe you anything just because you bought a car or cars from them before. There is no 'loyalty'. If you like the cars they offer to you, buy them, if you don't, don't.

Are you really going to switch brands just because they wouldn't sell you a limited production car? You'd actually not buy a car that you want, just to spite Porsche? You know that old saying about cutting off your nose right?

Everyone has opinions about everything Porsche is doing wrong, yet they're selling every car they make and earning massive profit doing it. But then I'm sure Rennlist could do it better...dde44
Old 03-13-2016, 01:52 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
40% Gross margins?!? no way Don't guess - go to the source.

http://www.porsche.com/international.../dataandfacts/

"The reduction in the gross margin from 29 percent to 25 percent is mainly the result of the changes in the product mix following the introduction of the Macan model as well as increased expenses in the area of research and development.

Like Uncle Warren says "All the good information is in the back & that tells the story."

They make 18% per vehicle on avg.
uhhhh, this! 40% GP...comical
Old 03-13-2016, 03:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i dont know whoopsy well but i recall meeting him briefly during the RL dinner at RRV. he certainly appears to be an enthusiast and have a wealth of knowledge of all cars in general and 918 in particular.

this constant bashing of 918 owners is getting old.

i dont have a 918
i cannot get a 991R, and believe me i tried, begged, cried, coerced, bribed, threatened may ppl....
i bought more porsches in last decade than most here
if you add what my family as a whole bought, it could rival some small dealerships.
am i upset... well a little, i wont lie.
but do i blame 918 owners, NO.
do i blame PCNA, a little bit.
but the fact of the matter was that i, as well as most of you, knew the rules or benefits of buying a 918. but we (well certainly i did) chose to not buy a 918. so we really can't blame anyone. being upset is fine, to blame is not.

it's like tennis, scores are 15, 30, 40 game. well why isn't it 1, 2 , 3 and game. damn it, those are the rules, if yo dont like it, go play soccer.

i tell my son, dont put your hand over hot fire/range. he ignores warning/rule and does it. gets burnt. wants a band aid. i said, no while laughing (yes i am satan), told him, there will be no band aid for you. i told you the rules, u decided to do something else. so go fix it yourself. if your finger falls off, you will be doing base 9 math with the martians.

to say 918 owners are ALL flippers and not enthusiasts are just wrong.
i know many are dye in the wool porschephiles
certainly there are 918 owner who will flip their cars for profit on purpose. but then if they dont follow the rule and PAG/PCNA catch them....

if they play by the rule book then it's all good, no?

at least to me, i want to see the rule book
the 918 rule book is public
once i know the rules, i choose how to play it.
you cannot blame the rules, you may not like it but it is what it is.

get over it.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:56 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

^As they say in my neck of the woods - "Dont hate the player, hate the game"
Old 03-13-2016, 04:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaRS
Blaming the 918 owners is VERY convenient right now for everyone, but is it justified?
Absolutely justified, since we live in a market driven democratic society, now there are some individuals who are quite happy to get the preferred positioned, 50% of the 918 buyer by shear luck since they signed up early before the program was announced. I was one of the buyers who opted out when I got a 4.0 in early 2012.
Being a GT customer with Porsche for more than 10 years (996, 997 and 991) I will have to wait another 8 years until the programs runs out so that myself and others have equal access to the market again.
Imagine the Vancouver real estate market where once you buy the 1 million Dollar house on the street you get to buy the ones on the rest of the block for $ 250k each and then if you fancy put the houses back on the market. Most people will do so unless the capital gains or Porsche policy bites them in the a..
Currently (up since 2 days on mobile.de) there are listings for an R at 745k and 1,25 mill.
This preferred market position I would call Capitalist Communism and usually is seen in Russia and China but not in North America.
To bad the R will not be the drivers car as intended by Porsche originally, in North America and most likely also the rest of the world it will revert to what I call garage gold.[/QUOTE]

you are in my shoes. or i am in your shoes. and your argument is logical 98%. not that i want to disagree but i truly feel your argument is a good one and i like to rebuttal it as an intellectual exercise. so pardon me for a minute for the discourse.

your vancouver example is powerful. BUT there is no such RULE stating buy one prop for 1MM and buy the rest for 250. if so, i will be liquidiating all my porsches and some POS property i bought wrong then start buying up vancouver. and i am sure you will too.

while 918 owners can buy sell GT cars like the vancouver RE example, the difference is that 918 program had a rule book (at least for USA). i got 4 separate mailing of the IDENTICAL pamplet telling me if i bought one i am privelaged to future cars. i failed to act. that's my fault. i dont like the rules but they are rules. just ilke i really want to drive 110mph on CA fwy but when i do, i get ticketed and sometimes needed to be bailed out of jail. b/c i chose to ignore rules.

your vancouver example doesn't have a publicized rule book. no one told me if i did A then B will happen. but 918 clearly stated if you did A then B follows.

i dont have 918, i dont have 991R, i dont work for porsche, and i fear i wont be getting more future GT cars. but i am simply trying to be logical.

pls dont be offended. i am sort of thinking out loud here.

OH, NOW THAT I DEFENDED 918 OWNERS, SHOULD YOU WANT TO SELL THAT ELUSIVE 991R PING ME hahhaa. kidding. i dont really like it that much.

hell, i remember your 4.0 and now you have 991RS. my RS isnt here yet. let's just go drive what's in the garage and forget this stupid sh*t. driving any porsche is more fun than TALKING about any porsche that you cannot get.

i sure wish i had 72S, 73RS, 74RSR, 964RS, 993RsCS, 993GT2, well i dont.... and i am not planning to worry too much about it and turn all my blk hair to white.

cheers.

Last edited by mooty; 03-13-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:26 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 500 Posts

@mooty:

Thanks for the kind words, yes we did chat at RRV dinner, I enjoyed it and looking forward to the next meet up in the future.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:32 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,790 Likes on 2,159 Posts

As the saying goes...people always want most what they can't have. That being said, I don't get the interest in the 991R. Guess I'm an aero snub.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:01 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 500 Posts

@CarreraRS:

You had to have seen the PCNA 918 VIP brochure. As mooty said, the rules are spelled out clearly. Abusers of the program will have their privilege taken away. That's the safe guard Porsche has put in place. What makes you think they haven't already on a few VIP customers during the RS allocation round? Quite a few also sold their 918 a while back and is not eligible to have 1st dibs for the R either. Hence you can see in the USA quite a few non-918 customers have gotten an R.

Only a few local HQ ask the 918 customers first, not all of them, so in those areas not all the Rs goes to 918 buyers.

In Canada they sold 32 918s, I believe only 26 Rs are coming. Porsche Canada doesn't have an official VIP program, a few ordered multiple 918s so there are less than 32 918 customers in Canada. Quite a few also flipped their 918s already, at least 10 if not more and thus scratched off the VIP list. Porsche Canada did ask the remaining 918 customers if they want an R, the deadline for replying is March 24th. So basically one won't know how many Rs will be available to regular customers until March 24th. My best guess is that 10 cars will be allocated to dealers. That's more than 1/3 of the allocations, much higher % than PCNA.

You from Vancouver, I am too, with your purchase history I believed we go to the same dealer. At best they will get 1 allocation not counting mine.

Take my 918 out of the equation, what makes you think you are more deserving to get an R over me? I have been buying cars from them for almost 20 years. Not just Motorsports cars but also regular non-appreciating models too.

Aside from the R, I have 3 more cars on order, one a Cayenne Turbo S which I just finished with Exclusive and going into production in May. I know a new one will be coming soon yet I still made the purchase, I don't cherry pick to buy only the 'appreciating asset'.

You may think you are a big fish in the pond, but there are always bigger fish around. Remember that. I don't have that illusion, as a matter of fact I know of at least 2 bigger fishes than me in the same pond who doesn't own a 918, so if the dealer only goes by 'preferred customers', you will at best be #4 on the list, meaning you still won't have a R.

FYI, I spent the last week in Geneva talking with AP and FSW. The 6-speed in the R IS going into the 991.2 GT3, it will also have the gen 2 4.0L flat 6, so a better car overall than the R.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:02 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

I really enjoy the posts from Whoopsy and Mooty. thematically they have a few points that we all need to remember:

If you have a porsche- you are lucky so go drive for your therapy.

If you want a future car- be aware that each dealer has LOTS of customers. (That's why Porsche is so profitable, duh)

So, get in line now! The next gen cars are always around the corner.

- now, my own point...one of my buddies is super butt-hurt that he could not get a LaFerrari. I told him to go buy a mint F40 AND a secondhand 918 or P1. He didn't want to listen.

So to apply here- If you are feeling left out on the R, go get a 997.2RS. Plenty out there with 2,000-6,000 miles waiting to be unleashed.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM
lucxy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get 911 R at all. To me this is a C6 z06 equivalent at 2x the price. And C6 z06 has manual, 505 HP, magnesium roof, light, track monster all stock. Today you can get one for 40k or less. Granted it is not 911 but it is the same formula. So 911 r is what z06 is only 9 years ago. I don't get why would anyone pay 180K+ for this car.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by lucxy
I don't get 911 R at all. To me this is a C6 z06 equivalent at 2x the price. And C6 z06 has manual, 505 HP, magnesium roof, light, track monster all stock. Today you can get one for 40k or less. Granted it is not 911 but it is the same formula. So 911 r is what z06 is only 9 years ago. I don't get why would anyone pay 180K+ for this car.
You realize you are on the GT3/GT3RS forum and those cars sell for 160-260k right?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a great time I just had enjoying my coffee and reading all these latest post's on this beautiful morning. Like Mooty said, just be happy we have our own Pcars to drive, there will always be more to come. Enjoy life NOW !!!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:59 AM
lucxy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
You realize you are on the GT3/GT3RS forum and those cars sell for 160-260k right?
Yes I do realize. I can read and own 991 GT3. So What? I dont have to praise everything Porsche puts out. Before one get can a so called "purist" porsche at almost half and without being a special 918 owner. Today it will cost you close to 200K and you cant get one. am I missing something here. Briliant marketing ploy by Porsche. Now purist porsche is so exclusive -- nobody can get one.

Also why so much praise for 911 R. I am sorry, but it is not ground breaking by any stretch. My comment just shows that Chevy did this a long time ago. Just to put this into perspective. I am not buying into Porsche PR campaign. 911 R is nice, but not 180K/exclusive nice. It is just a plain 911 with a manual & 500 HP NA motor.

Last edited by lucxy; 03-13-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911 R allocations