Should go up the hill after the final corner and the back straights nicely
Old 12-29-2016, 12:39 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Its going to need big, fast tracks to stretch its legs...
COTA and Sebring will have some fun moments for sure
Old 12-31-2016, 12:56 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will there be a GT2 and a GT2 RS?
Old 12-31-2016, 03:29 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Not surprised at all, I knew the R would be a flipping exercise car. The question in my mind is if there is more flipping going on in the US/Canada for the R or in Europe. I'd venture to bet that the US is the capital of flippers by a wide margin.

Anyone in Europe know how many Rs are trying to be flipped?
Your dead right there...the US is the flip capital of the world. I have been keeping an eye out for a R in Europe and so far I have seen only 4-5 cars for sale. All at silly prices so at least we share that.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:50 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apolo1
I would think 650-670 hp, but its more torque that the 91RS chassis needs imv, even more so in the low speed corners....

Would be nice have a bit more aero DF on the front end also.
I think the new AMG GTR shows that with the right aero, etc,...you don't need really huge horsepower to do extremely quick lap times. Indeed from 0-60, it's slower than a RS and a std GT3. So MB have really done the right thing here. Instead of going for 600+ HP and headline creating 0-60 times, it seems to have focused on making it do extremely fast lap times......and look at the buzz it has created! Nobody gives a monkey about the 0-60 time.

I recently spent two days driving a TTS around Portimao and went away thinking that nobody needs more HP than this. Instead, what i wanted was less weight and better aero. So I hope the GT2 goes down a similar path as the AMG GTR. In fact, I will a bit disappointed if the GT2 comes out with 600+ HP because that will possibly indicate that Porsche has focussed things in the wrong direction.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:05 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I think the new AMG GTR shows that with the right aero, etc,...you don't need really huge horsepower to do extremely quick lap times. Indeed from 0-60, it's slower than a RS and a std GT3. So MB have really done the right thing here. Instead of going for 600+ HP and headline creating 0-60 times, it seems to have focused on making it do extremely fast lap times......and look at the buzz it has created! Nobody gives a monkey about the 0-60 time.

I recently spent two days driving a TTS around Portimao and went away thinking that nobody needs more HP than this. Instead, what i wanted was less weight and better aero. So I hope the GT2 goes down a similar path as the AMG GTR. In fact, I will a bit disappointed if the GT2 comes out with 600+ HP because that will possibly indicate that Porsche has focussed things in the wrong direction.
I would like to have 650HP + but to me this car's reputation will be directly related to the ability to create downforce for lapping
Old 12-31-2016, 04:52 AM
TomTomTom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
I finished an internship at Porsche Motorsport a couple of months ago.

Cannot tell a lot but you guys can expect 650+ HP.
There will be no GT2, only a RS

The Technical Project Leader (the guy below AP) gave the following spec requirement for the engine to "our" engine department: "If I am driving on the Autobahn at 300kph and then hit full throttle, I need to feel a punch in the back".

So it should be fun
Old 12-31-2016, 05:25 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Mooty did not merely "come" out of his mother's womb - he used a very early version of Launch Control and clocked a then world-record of 3.68s!

You'd be disappointed if the new 2RS doesn't have less horsepower than the original? That makes no sense. Porsche is not going to go backwards in the power department. The original had 620ish, why would the possibly go less? When has Porsche ever gone with less power for the new model. 650+ for sure. I'm guessing they're gonna list it at 680 and be real world closer to 700.
Originally Posted by TomTomTom
Hey everyone,

The Technical Project Leader (the guy below AP) gave the following spec requirement for the engine to "our" engine department: "If I am driving on the Autobahn at 300kph and then hit full throttle, I need to feel a punch in the back".

So it should be fun
My guess is that it'll be listed at 680hp, but real world dynos will show it to be closer to 700. Realistically, you can get 700 easily from the 996TT and the 997TT's without too much work and they're still VERY driveable around town. The 991 GT2RS is supposed to be their display to the world of how far they can take the 911 and still be reliable enough to be a street car. 700 hp seems pretty easy for them to get to and should be good for driving at high speeds for long periods of times as well as take the abuse of a race track.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:33 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

The 991RS, With its 500bhp punches way above its weight from a lap time prospective. Its only one second slower than the P1 round Anglesey. Don't forget that the 7.20 Ring time was set on a damp track. My understanding is that in the dry later it did a very close 7.15. But 7.20 was the target, so Job done.

The 991RS chassis feels like it can handle a lot more BHP and Torque. Imv 650-670 will be enough, along with the extra Torque. Would also be nice if they can lose a few Kgs, aside from 918 Mag Wheels don't see how they can achieve this to a meaningful amount.

Last edited by Apolo1; 12-31-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:51 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTomTom
Hey everyone,

So it should be fun

GT3 RS mk2 ?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:12 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
You'd be disappointed if the new 2RS doesn't have less horsepower than the original? That makes no sense. Porsche is not going to go backwards in the power department. The original had 620ish, why would the possibly go less? When has Porsche ever gone with less power for the new model. 650+ for sure. I'm guessing they're gonna list it at 680 and be real world closer to 700.
Indeed, I would not care if the GT2 had less HP than the original as long as it was quicker around a track and was good to drive.....But I know it probably won't because a lot of people would go unnecessarily crazy.

Porsche recently stated that it was abandoning the HP war (which I wholeheartedly endorse) to focus on driver involvement, etc. I hope that it's true to its word. It doesn't need 650+ to beat the competition in the driving stakes.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:04 AM
gt-2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget about all the fancy materials, incredible aero package to plant on ground, angry engine.....the best part about GT2 RS will be the all red headliner lol!
Old 12-31-2016, 09:12 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by camjan
Will there be a GT2 and a GT2 RS?
no

Originally Posted by Apolo1
Would also be nice if they can lose a few Kgs, aside from 918 Mag Wheels don't see how they can achieve this to a meaningful amount.
There's plenty of room to drop weight. It just comes down to cost.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:16 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed, I would not care if the GT2 had less HP than the original as long as it was quicker around a track and was good to drive.....But I know it probably won't because a lot of people would go unnecessarily crazy.

Porsche recently stated that it was abandoning the HP war (which I wholeheartedly endorse) to focus on driver involvement, etc. I hope that it's true to its word. It doesn't need 650+ to beat the competition in the driving stakes.

easy to say......but the only thing that will prevent HP ratings from going up even with Porsche is if government stepped in long into future with all car manufacturers (not foreseeable at this point but emissions and fuel economy regs are putting pressure on them now but technology is outrunning regs). When they say they don't care about HP wars the RS is an example of that real time. It is short on HP based on many of the cars it is compared to but holds it own in many areas regardless, they didn't chase HP on GT3 RS (and never really have). The GT2 RS WILL have more HP vs previous version and expect a chassis package that can take advantage of that HP on track!
Old 12-31-2016, 09:25 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gt-2
Forget about all the fancy materials, incredible aero package to plant on ground, angry engine.....the best part about GT2 RS will be the all red headliner lol!
yes....super cool, will have lip stick on many pieces in addition to headliner. Mules have already had the all red headliner present (on a few).

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS