Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R configuration thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:07 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 911R configuration thread

i'd like to start a conversation about various 911R options for those of us who will be getting an allocation.

it would be nice to not have another "918 owners suck" thread, so if you plan on bringing out pitchforks, please take it somewhere else.

so, for those who are getting 911R, i have some questions:

(1) does it make sense to get Lightweight Lithium-Ion Battery? part of me wants to get it in order to stay true to the "lightweight" spirit of the car, but I also don't want to get stranded somewhere with a dead battery. so: just how weak is the Lithium Ion battery?

(2) looks like we have three options for headlights:
(a) Bi-Xenon headlights with automatic headlight leveling and headlight cleaning system (standard)
(b) Bi-Xenon Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
(c) LED Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
which ones weight less? is (a) and (b) basically the same except for the Black trim?

(3) is anybody not getting Extended Range Fuel Tank? if not - why not?

(4) is Exterior Mirror Trim in Carbon Fiber all looks or does it actually technically save a little weight? (even if just a few grams - it is the spirit of building something as lightweight as possible)

(5) if I don't get Auto-Dimming Mirrors, I can always dim the rear view mirror manually, but it won't have an affect on the side view mirrors, right?

I am curious to hear how others are thinking of spec'ing out their R as well as getting some guidance on questions above.

thanks...
Old 03-06-2016, 03:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm doing carbon mirrors, lightweight battery and NOT getting the PDLS because like you said it is the spirit of the feather.

I am getting extended tank because I plan on taking it on road trips.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:00 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't there be another forum for the 911-R ? Is the 991 Gt3 & RS forum where the R must fit?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Catmagog
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you both deleting the aircon/satnav etc?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
Not a perspective 911R owner and certainly not a hater!! This is my thought or question to yourself and CJ if you're going for the "light is best concept" - why would you consider the extended range tank? Yes, you can do more miles on a single tank. However, the difference in tank size is 7 gals which equates to 42.5lbs when full. Just wondering if you wouldn't consider more gas stops to keep the car 42lbs lighter? And of course you don't have to fill it up but then why go for that option, unless of course it gives you the option!!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:34 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Not a perspective 911R owner and certainly not a hater!! This is my thought or question to yourself and CJ if you're going for the "light is best concept" - why would you consider the extended range tank? Yes, you can do more miles on a single tank. However, the difference in tank size is 7 gals which equates to 42.5lbs when full. Just wondering if you wouldn't consider more gas stops to keep the car 42lbs lighter? And of course you don't have to fill it up but then why go for that option, unless of course it gives you the option!!
i am getting my car without lift. i tend to avoid gas station visits, especially if this is gas station i haven't been to before and has steep driveway.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Always get extended tank. Even (and especially) a dedicated track car needs the extended tank.

Of course, I know this isn't a track car
Old 03-06-2016, 04:46 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If this is a collector car then li battery will have expired, no?
Old 03-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

I believe the lithium battery is 30lbs lighter than a standard battery. That's a significant amount and more than many of the other light weight features on the car but I still doubt you'd feel it.

I think the basic headlights swivel up and down but not sideways so this is likely lighter. 0.5lb or less? I don't drive at night on dark curvy roads but I thought the base light looks cheap so I got PDLS on my GT3 and on my RS order.

I had the base mirror on my GT3 and it's a simple old-school flip leaver. Side mirrors don't dim. Worked fine for me and I'd skip it again unless you drive at night a lot.

I'd also skip the smoking package on the R which I had on my 3 and RS order.

One thing I noticed was the matching green on the sport chrono. I'd normally skip this by I'm a bit of a sucker for this special/different stuff. I'd likely still skip it.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Here's my prospective configuration:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG5AUVI6
Old 03-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918

(1) does it make sense to get Lightweight Lithium-Ion Battery? part of me wants to get it in order to stay true to the "lightweight" spirit of the car, but I also don't want to get stranded somewhere with a dead battery. so: just how weak is the Lithium Ion battery?

Obviously you can so you must.

(2) looks like we have three options for headlights:
(a) Bi-Xenon headlights with automatic headlight leveling and headlight cleaning system (standard)
(b) Bi-Xenon Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
(c) LED Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
which ones weight less? is (a) and (b) basically the same except for the Black trim?

No difference in brightness in U.S. so personal preference IMO.

I would get it unless you don't plan to drive it.

(4) is Exterior Mirror Trim in Carbon Fiber all looks or does it actually technically save a little weight? (even if just a few grams - it is the spirit of building something as lightweight as possible)

Personally don't care for glossy CFP. Prefer the matt finish mirror housing that they offered for 997 GT3 through Techquipment.

(5) if I don't get Auto-Dimming Mirrors, I can always dim the rear view mirror manually, but it won't have an affect on the side view mirrors, right?

Never look in my mirrors....

I am curious to hear how others are thinking of spec'ing out their R as well as getting some guidance on questions above.

thanks...
See above
Old 03-06-2016, 05:36 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Here would be mine:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGSJCXD5

Inspired by the 1967 prototype, R4.

Also, I would ask to have no 911 R badge on the back, and to replace the Porsche script by a sticker.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:39 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Mirror delete:

Dan (has auto-dimming mirrors)
Old 03-06-2016, 05:43 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It would be nice if factory could comment on what options would constitute lightest weight configuration. However foregoing some practical and nice options may not be in everyone's interest. How about saving grams with no stickers, for instance? Earlier on (gt3 threads) someone had surmised led lights could be lightest--but haven't seen official weight comparison. Cf mirrors almost certainly applied on top of usual housing like the cf interior trim--may be possibly extra weight?!!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the configuration allows more colors. GT sliver is lame. I want fashion grey, no stripes black wheels. Reinforced clutch... That's all. Now I need an allocation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911R configuration thread