Sponsored by:

911R configuration thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Porschmich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^
Could be right about the value in the future. But still love the car today.
Keep going back to the 964's. Why are the RS Americas 3 times what a C2
coupe is? Is it 3 times the car, no of course not just a limited production car.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Australian Poster here.

Couple of points to confirm - thoughts on getting the headlight washers painted in body colour (white in this case) vs leaving them black?

Looking at keeping the standard Xenon silver lights from factory, and then ordering from Suncoast Parts the Black Xenons (works out cheaper + I would have a spare set of lights then). Can you please confirm for me if the Black Headlight Housings listed for $2,595 USD are the complete light kit? The word housing to me seems like its just the black parts and you need to swap out the internal lights between them?

I remember reading this a while back, but to double check, if you get Xenon from factory, it is not possible to buy aftermarket LED due to a different connector?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Fadi1
nice. I like the no stripe and side script. I was looking at that option in green on GT silver-no stripe.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:29 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Reza
Australian Poster here.

Couple of points to confirm - thoughts on getting the headlight washers painted in body colour (white in this case) vs leaving them black?

Looking at keeping the standard Xenon silver lights from factory, and then ordering from Suncoast Parts the Black Xenons (works out cheaper + I would have a spare set of lights then). Can you please confirm for me if the Black Headlight Housings listed for $2,595 USD are the complete light kit? The word housing to me seems like its just the black parts and you need to swap out the internal lights between them?

I remember reading this a while back, but to double check, if you get Xenon from factory, it is not possible to buy aftermarket LED due to a different connector?

Many thanks in advance.
I like the black parts to tie in with the mirrors and rear. If I built 1- I would be spec green/blk script/ black lights & wheels-w/ carbon mirrors too boot. I think it is a personal preference- small additions/styling choices to special models I think are cool most of the time and would suggest not spending the money if you are on the fence. The cool part is even in a limited choice field there is room for lots of variations.

I believe it is plug and play in a sealed unit. Only caveat is you cannot switch from PDLS to LED. Not that would be an issue as if you are spec'ing most have their preference. Just listing the only issue with headlight swaps I've read about.

Congrats on the 911R
Old 03-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

After watching the AP video all I could think was "Hell, yeah - I want that." Seems like it would be a ton of fun on the road.

Then I thought about how many people would actually drive the "great driver's car" and it made me both sad and angry. This should have been a mainstream model so enthusiasts could actually enjoy it.

I'm not ranting or bitter, it just seems like a shame to know that a car with so much potential fun factor will most likely sit in a collection for many of the owners - especially when you can feel the enthusiasm AP has for the car when describing it.

For those here who will own and drive it - I have a great deal of respect and envy for you.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Reza
Instructor

Originally Posted by German_Saint
I like the black parts to tie in with the mirrors and rear. If I built 1- I would be spec green/blk script/ black lights & wheels-w/ carbon mirrors too boot. I think it is a personal preference- small additions/styling choices to special models I think are cool most of the time and would suggest not spending the money if you are on the fence. The cool part is even in a limited choice field there is room for lots of variations.

I believe it is plug and play in a sealed unit. Only caveat is you cannot switch from PDLS to LED. Not that would be an issue as if you are spec'ing most have their preference. Just listing the only issue with headlight swaps I've read about.

Congrats on the 911R
Appreciate your help.

Main reason is, in Australia to option the Black Xenon's costs us $2,790 AUD whilst LED is $7,590 AUD (exorbitant I know)

Whilst from sun coast I can get the Black Xenon's for $3,500 AUD (converted). That way I take delivery with the silver, and then buy the black ones (ideally I want the black to match everything). End result gives me the choice for very similar costs.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Why would a 918 owner even want this car? What's wrong with driving the 918? What's wrong with driving your RS? Cayman gt4? This program is so stupid. More cars for the filthy rich to sit in their garage. Pathetic program. Here's a novel idea. Take the $ you were going to spend on the R and pick a good charity. It will help you and many others a lot more than a price of metal in your garage.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Why would a 918 owner even want this car? What's wrong with driving the 918? What's wrong with driving your RS? Cayman gt4? This program is so stupid. More cars for the filthy rich to sit in their garage. Pathetic program. Here's a novel idea. Take the $ you were going to spend on the R and pick a good charity. It will help you and many others a lot more than a price of metal in your garage.
It's just not how the world works.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Are you serious? You're assuming all 918 owners don't drive their cars? Nice generalization...
Old 03-09-2016, 11:33 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I feel like rennlist has morphed into sixspeedonline...
Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
I wonder how many allocation for non 918 customers and how many are we getting for the US?
I was told 7 cars today total by my dealer.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-10-2016, 01:51 AM
m430
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it really is 7 then an associate of mine and I are 2/7. Seems kind of crazy.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:24 AM
Dave_M
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CJ would make 3
Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 AM
Reza
Instructor

Can people take all the non-configurator chat to the other 911-R Threads?

This is for people who want to talk about configuration and not about allocation bs which has ruined all the other 911R threads thus far

Quick Reply: 911R configuration thread