Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R configuration thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You should get the auto dimming mirrors. Every modern $$$ car should have them standard, as it's a great drivers aid at night, if you indeed plan on driving this car.

PS F*** Porsche for even allowing it to be an option on a GT3, where the auto-dimming does NOT work because the rear wing is in the way. Ask me how I know?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'd get a better Li battery, one you can kill with a remote clicker. Much better quality tha Porsche Li batteries.

Mirror can still manually prevent blinding, you just lose that on the outside mirrors.

Front lift useless 991, even RS has way more nose clearance than the 997's used to have.

Big tank must have. It doesn't weight more if you don't put more fuel in.

Head lights all the same quality, but I think LED version turns into corner (correct me if not) and so weighs more.

Side muffler, AC, radio delete and magnesium BBS wheels will get you the lightest spec possible.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:43 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
PS F*** Porsche for even allowing it to be an option on a GT3, where the auto-dimming does NOT work because the rear wing is in the way. Ask me how I know?
I couldn't agree more - mirror is useless at night and particularly when its raining!
Old 03-07-2016, 12:18 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Extended tank because when I am doing 145mph across europe I won't be wanting to pull over.

I am deleting radio.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:47 AM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

IF I get an allocation, I plan to drive the car regularly and will add modern amenities like hands-free phone access, rain sensing wipers, and swiveling headlights: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGRPQI54
Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Have been told that flat Li battery equals dead Li battery equals expensive replacement.

Also told Li battery does not cope well in the cold (not a problem down here but might be in USA/Europe).

Anyone have personal experience?

DJM

Last edited by DJM48; 03-07-2016 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by DJM48
Have been told that flat Li battery equals dead Li battery equals expensive replacement.

Also told Li battery does not cope well in the cold (not a problem down here but might be in USA/Europe).

Anyone have personal experience?

DJM
Personal experience: 997 Li battery was stronger than stock. New one is stronger still. Self-protection function means it won't leave you stranded/drain to zero. New England has cold; OZ not so much. A non-issue for you.

There are cheaper aftermarket alternatives. I prefer factory.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Li-on in this gen is much better than before. No downside except the Benjamins. And if it goes kaput pretty sure Porsche will replace it at least once.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:24 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I cannot get past a "Cushie' experience in any Porsche 911 Variant! I still add the 18 way seats, highest radio available, and LED PDLS lights which they still want something around $3K+. But I still add the single mass flywheel and Li Ion Battery.

I like what Porsche is doing with The R but if I'm ever going to buy a car like it, as CJ said the "The Spirit of the feather", I cannot go without my Amenities to keep my Butt Smooth. Which is opposite of the spirit of the awesome R which is intended for the track day enthusiasts. And dealing with rush hour traffic does not make any sense when you're in LA or driving through the Orange Crush as it has become to be known in Orange County.

Never really thought about having a strictly weekend car. One does not know what state the freeways will be in however now with Google Maps someone can turn on the traffic option and see how the flow of cars is at that moment.

I don't know about the rest of you but Porsche really put me through the loop when they unveiled the car with a Six Speed instead of the Seven! To me that is Porsche showing the rest of us that they are listening to the purist and we are glad that they are.
Further... does anyone know what the count on the Ring and Pinion gears are?

Last edited by The New 911; 03-07-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Personal experience: 997 Li battery was stronger than stock. New one is stronger still. Self-protection function means it won't leave you stranded/drain to zero. New England has cold; OZ not so much. A non-issue for you.

There are cheaper aftermarket alternatives. I prefer factory.
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Li-on in this gen is much better than before. No downside except the Benjamins. And if it goes kaput pretty sure Porsche will replace it at least once.
I have seen way too many Li battery failures. Champion stopped selling them. 1 car on fire and many just failed. I have one sitting on my desk with nice black proof of flame look.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:51 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I would not opt for the lightweight battery. Dealing with battery issues is a headache.

I would get LED's because they are brighter and have PDLS. A 1lb difference is negligible.

Auto dimming mirrors are a must on any modern car, so is AC. Its silly to get a car without either imo. I'm traveling and have a rental car right now without auto dimming and it was terrible driving last night in the rain. It seemed like everyone had their high beams directly pointed at me.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
I would not opt for the lightweight battery. Dealing with battery issues is a headache. I would get LED's because they are brighter and have PDLS. A 1lb difference is negligible. Auto dimming mirrors are a must on any modern car, so is AC. Its silly to get a car without either imo. I'm traveling and have a rental car right now without auto dimming and it was terrible driving last night in the rain. It seemed like everyone had their high beams directly pointed at me.
I really don't like the 4 dot LED lights visually. Makes it feel like a cayenne or panamera
Old 03-07-2016, 04:40 PM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I really don't like the 4 dot LED lights visually. Makes it feel like a cayenne or panamera
This is funny. I like the 4 dot LED daytime lights because it looks like a 918.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
C. J. did you think about getting the 918, prior to getting the P1?
Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anonymous918
i'd like to start a conversation about various 911R options for those of us who will be getting an allocation.

it would be nice to not have another "918 owners suck" thread, so if you plan on bringing out pitchforks, please take it somewhere else.

so, for those who are getting 911R, i have some questions:

(1) does it make sense to get Lightweight Lithium-Ion Battery? part of me wants to get it in order to stay true to the "lightweight" spirit of the car, but I also don't want to get stranded somewhere with a dead battery. so: just how weak is the Lithium Ion battery?

(2) looks like we have three options for headlights:
(a) Bi-Xenon headlights with automatic headlight leveling and headlight cleaning system (standard)
(b) Bi-Xenon Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
(c) LED Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
which ones weight less? is (a) and (b) basically the same except for the Black trim?

(3) is anybody not getting Extended Range Fuel Tank? if not - why not?

(4) is Exterior Mirror Trim in Carbon Fiber all looks or does it actually technically save a little weight? (even if just a few grams - it is the spirit of building something as lightweight as possible)

(5) if I don't get Auto-Dimming Mirrors, I can always dim the rear view mirror manually, but it won't have an affect on the side view mirrors, right?

I am curious to hear how others are thinking of spec'ing out their R as well as getting some guidance on questions above.

thanks...
Help here too please , can anyone confirm the "black" lights are like the standard ones just black or are the standard lights different ?

Quick Reply: 911R configuration thread