Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 octane race fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^Zeus, you raise a good point about fuel quality; it's one reason why I try to buy at name brand stations that get a lot of activity on the assumption that they turn over their fuel stock fairly rapidly. For whatever reason, I've been fortunate not to have had a contamination problem for many years.

As to whether premium fuel sits unsold longer, that may be true, although it may also depend on the area. Around here there are enough high end cars that require premium that I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem. It would be interesting to get data from someone who owns a fueling business.

I think the only way that people would be willing to spend more for a "better" fuel would be if it could be proven there was a real benefit from using it or if contamination issues for "cheap" fuel were more commonplace.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^Zeus, you raise a good point about fuel quality; it's one reason why I try to buy at name brand stations that get a lot of activity on the assumption that they turn over their fuel stock fairly rapidly. For whatever reason, I've been fortunate not to have had a contamination problem for many years.

As to whether premium fuel sits unsold longer, that may be true, although it may also depend on the area. Around here there are enough high end cars that require premium that I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem. It would be interesting to get data from someone who owns a fueling business.

I think the only way that people would be willing to spend more for a "better" fuel would be if it could be proven there was a real benefit from using it or if contamination issues for "cheap" fuel were more commonplace.
As always, you raise a couple of great points Mike.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread.

I can get 98 octane from Bandimere for $7.90 per gallon. The best I can get otherwise is 91 octane. I understand that being at altitude negates the need for higher octane fuel, but I want to make sure I am getting the maximum benefit. I know the ECU is mapped for 93, so not trying to get more than that.

Since I can get 91, would there be any benefit in running 3/4 91 and 1/4 98? This would equate to about 93 octane overall.

Anyone try this?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:14 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

robmypro Remember you are at altitude in Colorado, you may be lacking the O2 to take advantage of the higher octane...
Old 09-02-2016, 06:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
robmypro Remember you are at altitude in Colorado, you may be lacking the O2 to take advantage of the higher octane...
Yeah, understood. I am just not sure 91 octane is the highest octane the engine can take advantage of. Could it, for example benefit from 92 or 93 octane? Not sure.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:45 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I honestly can't imagine it would make enough of a difference. I had used 91 on track and then filled up with 93 when it was almost empty. Noticed no difference.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mwar99
I honestly can't imagine it would make enough of a difference. I had used 91 on track and then filled up with 93 when it was almost empty. Noticed no difference.
Okay thanks. Good to know. I won't bother.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:05 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^This
Why is that if it is unleaded? Sunoco 100 (CA mix)

Originally Posted by robmypro
Resurrecting an old thread.

I can get 98 octane from Bandimere for $7.90 per gallon. The best I can get otherwise is 91 octane. I understand that being at altitude negates the need for higher octane fuel, but I want to make sure I am getting the maximum benefit. I know the ECU is mapped for 93, so not trying to get more than that.

Since I can get 91, would there be any benefit in running 3/4 91 and 1/4 98? This would equate to about 93 octane overall.

Anyone try this?
At higher altitude you can use lower octane.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:59 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My understanding has always been that high octane fuel has the same energy content as a low octane blend therefore they will burn at the same temperature, all else being equal with regard to the fuel formulation. The difference is that higher octane helps prevent the fuel/air mixture from igniting prematurely. Premature ignition could cause higher cylinder temperatures but in cars with knock sensing this is prevented from happening so I wouldn't have thought that there would be a significant temperature difference.
That's pretty much my understanding too.

I've run 100 by necessity when that's all that's available at the track and didn't see any difference.

It may help the engine run a little cooler because it doesn't have to retard timing to prevent knock but I was recently running at Watkins Glen in 90+ F weather and didn't even see a change in temps.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Standard Aircraft fuel for Reciprocating Engines is Low Lead rated at 100 Aviation Octane (110+ Motor Octane). It is VERY stable and can sit around for many months with no degradation of performance. It is also safe to use on fuel systems with rubber hoses or gaskets, many of which will be destroyed by the toxic chemicals used as octane boosters. Cost varies from $3.50 - $5.00 / Gallon at small airport self-serve pumps. Since it does contain at least a low lead level, it may clog Catalytic Converters on street cars but works great on race cars without CC's.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Originally Posted by robmypro
Okay thanks. Good to know. I won't bother.
Yeah, for street use I agree with mwar99. Since for autocross a hundredth or even thousandth of a second literally can make a difference I will sometimes blend unleaded 100 octane with the 91 we get here in CA to achieve 93, maximize performance, and gain a tiny advantage (even if only in my head ). But for street use that advantage is irrelevant and I don't bother with the extra hassle and expense of blending.

Quick Reply: 100 octane race fuel