991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991RS wheels: OEM vs. WEC RSR magnesium vs. BBS FI-R

Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 AM
Jasonyaco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a big fan of HRE wheels the new ones Tony is getting from my favorite place Wheels boutique were not available when I got my BBS FIRs. I can't say I am upset I love the look of the holes in the BBS wheels and the 20/21 fit perfect. The overwhelming excitement from people when they see them is awesome. My car was on the video loop at the BBS booth at sema this year and is featured in the Porsche panorama magazine in the BBS ad if you want to check it out.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:47 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonyaco
I am a big fan of HRE wheels the new ones Tony is getting from my favorite place Wheels boutique were not available when I got my BBS FIRs. I can't say I am upset I love the look of the holes in the BBS wheels and the 20/21 fit perfect. The overwhelming excitement from people when they see them is awesome. My car was on the video loop at the BBS booth at sema this year and is featured in the Porsche panorama magazine in the BBS ad if you want to check it out.
They do look gorgeous, best wheels out there.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
OEM looks the nicest and most aggressive to me.
Originally Posted by OCturbo
+1

+2
Old 01-02-2017, 03:01 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonyaco
Great to see you here Jason! Happy New Year friend.

- David Nussbaum

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 01-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Jasonyaco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys and hello David I need to get to you guys asap at Wheels Boutique for my Vorsteiner aero wing and front lip and stuff. If you get a chance can you post a pic of the wing so I can see it. There are a lot of events coming this month and I want to get his done so people can see it. Thanks David and #teamwb is the best in the biz ��
Old 01-20-2017, 07:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I had magnesium 964 RS wheels and ever again. It gets brittle with age, internal fractures and very hard to weld/repair....,

Why do you say this?

Mag will last as long as aluminum if properly coated and damage to the coating immediately repaired.

They don't have the impact resistance of aluminum but if processed properly are very strong and can last as long as any aluminum wheel.

Weld repair is more difficult as you will destroy the temper but I wouldn't trust weld repaired aluminum wheels either.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:46 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 982 Likes on 509 Posts

I've had BBS mag centers crack and so did a friend. There was no damage to the wheels.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:03 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I love these!
Very interested to hear if someone who did change wheels to a lighter set, save a few kg, DOES IT CHANGE THE HANDLING AND FEEL????
Old 01-21-2017, 10:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I've had BBS mag centers crack and so did a friend. There was no damage to the wheels.
I find that very hard to believe. Although the early mag centers of the BBS are some of the ugliest looking castings I have seen.

I manufactured magnesium castings for 30 years for commercial, aerospace and military applications. My grandfather pioneered the first mag sand castings for the US back in the 1930's. Helped pioneer Dow metal (AZ92T6). I know of parts we manufactured back in the 70's still being used today on CH-47's and other aircraft. I find it hard to believe that the military would use parts that did not meet the minimum criteria and if age were a factor would decommission these parts just due to age.

Mag will not fail due to age if it is properly cared for. Just like the fans on the early air-cooled 911's. I just restored a number from the 1970's that were as good as new when we removed the paint. The ones not worth salvaging had their coating damaged and were attacked by moisture and the elements. Also there are many forged aluminum centers that have been know to fail as well. So it is not just mag that needs to be monitored for track applications.

I can only speculate why the BBS wheels failed without inspecting them but I am certain it wasn't from age. More than likely damaged coating and stored in moist environment. I doubt it was a manufacturing defect, I am assuming they penetrant inspected and x-rayed the wheels prior to sale.

Not sure why mag gets such a bad wrap but it is the lightest strongest alloy you can use for these applications.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
I love these!
Very interested to hear if someone who did change wheels to a lighter set, save a few kg, DOES IT CHANGE THE HANDLING AND FEEL????
Done the opposite but with brakes:

I've changed from PCCB's to Cast iron at the front.
I could fel the difference immediately in the steering wheel (heavier to change direction). But after an hour on track I was used to it and didn't think more about it.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Are those HRE or BBS on orange car in photo tks?
Old 12-26-2019, 10:46 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Are those HRE or BBS on orange car in photo tks?
If you're referring to the car below those are HRE R101 Lightweights. I have some final remaining special deals on them until the end of this calendar year.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:16 AM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 911_RS
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this... Yeah it's very hard to accept the price tag of the magnesium wheels, especially with only 8lbs. difference! But hey look on the bright side, it's way way cheaper than the Weissach magnesium wheels! It's practically the same! Haha

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU918MAG.html

those are the 918 wheels, the 2/3 RS are 19,800 on Suncoast. Not cheap by any means, but not 50k
Old 12-26-2019, 11:25 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,340 Likes on 787 Posts

BBS Motorsport /Manthey Racing Magnesium wheels in stock sub $20K
20 x 9.5 15.85 lbs
21 x 12.5 21.9 lbs

BBS FI-R wheels in stock sub $10K
20 x 9.5 18.3 lbs
21 x 12.5 23.5 lbs

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 12-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I find it easy to believe that some wheels cracked.

The fact that you engineered and produced magnesium products that haven't failed doesn't mean somebody else won't engineer and produce some that will fail.

ANY solid metal material can crack. Just depends on whether the product was engineered with a reasonable safety factor above the possible loads/cycles it will be required to endure, and produced to a controlled quality level that ensures the material properties of the finished product meet or exceed those assumed during the engineering process. There are folks all over the world that either shortcut, aren't as educated as they think they are, try to save a dollar, or otherwise design/engineer products that are not the absolute best. And of course there are other folks all over the world that do what they think is best, but their idea of "best," in regards to balancing all the engineering/production criteria, might not be the same as someone else's idea of "best." Person A might design a wheel to be the absolute lightest he can make, without regard to longevity. Person B might design a wheel to last forever, without regard to weight. You know what I'm getting at.

You can't just say that magnesium (or any other material) wheels will eventually crack, or say that they never will. Either statement just glosses over the reality that there are sooooooooo many variables involved. And MOST of the data concerning those variables is NOT contained within the marketing materials of a product, or even within the data sheets that might be made available for a product. BBS, just for example, doesn't give consumers any info about the exact alloy used, how long it was allowed to cool, any details about the duty and heat cycles designed for, whether or not they x-ray every wheel for voids or other irregularities, etc. That's all their intellectual property, and they don't just print it in the product literature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991RS wheels: OEM vs. WEC RSR magnesium vs. BBS FI-R