Sponsored by:

PSE button off vs on

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:22 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts
Default PSE button off vs on

I have heard that when PSE button is not pushed, the car performs better. I have also heard that when PSE button is pushed, the car performs better.

Which of the above two statements is correct?

PS is there a way to turn on PSE before start-up?I remember in my 911_50 i used to turn the key slightly so that i can turn on the PSE then i would start-up the car this was the PSE sound comes with start-up. On the GT3 i can't seem to be able to turn the PSE on before engine start-up
Old 02-26-2016, 04:07 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PSE cannot be turned on before the car is started. Turning PSE on is supposed to increase performance- increase mid range torque
Old 02-26-2016, 04:36 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
PSE cannot be turned on before the car is started. Turning PSE on is supposed to increase performance- increase mid range torque
Exactly what i thought! Thanks for the confirmation
Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Basically what OCturbo said. You can't turn on PSE before starting. But the default position of the PSE exhaust flaps is open so when you first start the car you should hear a nice "bbrrraaappp..." through the open exhaust and then it quiets down as soon as engine vacuum hits the valves.

Whether the PSE button is pressed or not the ECU will control the valves for best performance depending on engine load and speed, so at rpms above about 4K you'll get some benefit either way when you get on the gas. But by pressing the button you'll optimize performance in that crucial low RPM range under 4K and you'll also get freer flow throughout the rev range as the exhaust flaps are more responsive.

Some of this stuff is fairly subtle but the bottom line is that the PSE is engineered to improve overall performance when it's engaged. It's definitely NOT true that the car performs better with PSE turned off. Now if you're referring to what happens if PSE is disconnected completely and the valves are wired open, that's a completely different discussion....
Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

Related question if you don't mind. I have a GT3 and a 991C2S. In my C2S there is a big difference between PSE on and off. On the GT3 I cannot tell much of a difference if any. Side note: the car only has 25 miles on it so I'm not going above 4K RPM. Am I supposed to hear a big difference?
Old 02-27-2016, 08:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,786 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpup
Related question if you don't mind. I have a GT3 and a 991C2S. In my C2S there is a big difference between PSE on and off. On the GT3 I cannot tell much of a difference if any. Side note: the car only has 25 miles on it so I'm not going above 4K RPM. Am I supposed to hear a big difference?
PSE on Carrera and GT3/RS models operate differently.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:54 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpup
I have tried turning PSE on and off on my GT3 while driving also. I too could not tell if there was any difference for sure. Then I tried doing it with the window open. It makes a big difference with the window open.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:23 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

You're the first person I've encountered that claims PSE improves performance. It's called "performance" so it must improve performance. It costs almost $3K so it must, right? It IS louder and more baritone in character, but I can find no mention in any publication (or Porsche's site) that says it makes the car faster. Sport Chrono does and it's documented, and the pushbutton on the selector does implement a higher torque performance mode.

One thing Porsche did with the 992 is port induction noise into the cabin which improves the aural experience, even (maybe especially) with the windows closed. I'm in the distinct minority, but I don't find PSE to be a compelling option.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:50 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

PSE is not an option, is standard on GT3/RS so I'm not sure where your $3K comment comes from and sport chrono doesn't improve performance either.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:57 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

I apologize, I made the assumption we were discussing the 992 C2S. PSE is indeed standard on the GT3 and GTS, but an option on the base cars and turbos. SC is an option on the C and CS, and it does improve their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:10 PM
numnut
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
You're the first person I've encountered that claims PSE improves performance. It's called "performance" so it must improve performance. It costs almost $3K so it must, right? It IS louder and more baritone in character, but I can find no mention in any publication (or Porsche's site) that says it makes the car faster. Sport Chrono does and it's documented, and the pushbutton on the selector does implement a higher torque performance mode.

One thing Porsche did with the 992 is port induction noise into the cabin which improves the aural experience, even (maybe especially) with the windows closed. I'm in the distinct minority, but I don't find PSE to be a compelling option.
wow dig up a thread from 5 years ago and then post incorrect information, LOL

time for another beer!!!
The following users liked this post:
Palting (07-05-2021)

Quick Reply: PSE button off vs on