Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40whp and 30wtq gains with Dundon Motorsports Headers, no flash required!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:11 AM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911_RS
Wow you can make one in titanium??? Please let me know the cost
Yes. I can do titanium as well. I would expect the cost to be 3x that of our current retail price after sourcing and or having the valves, flanges, vbands made and the bends purchased. Welding TI bumps the cost up a bit as well just from the process to weld it correctly.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:17 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Curious, how much weigh does the set up save compared to the OEM set-up with the oem catted headers and side mufflers?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:12 AM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles@dundonmotorsports
Yes. I can do titanium as well. I would expect the cost to be 3x that of our current retail price after sourcing and or having the valves, flanges, vbands made and the bends purchased. Welding TI bumps the cost up a bit as well just from the process to weld it correctly.
And maybe save another 10lbs??
Old 04-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Are these connected into the stock final muffler? Can you make them in inconel coated so as to keep heat from burning paint? Can you get fully bent tubes so as to minimize the number of welds?
I can make this setup from inconel if someone wants to pay the costs associated with it. Same as titanium. With 625 inconel I can go to 20-22ga and cut the weight of the tubes down by about 40%. The flap weight will not change nor will the flanges. I would suspect this would remove about 12-14lbs atleast from the weight of the exhaust, maybe a few more. We can also ceramic coat which I have thought about offering except break in procedure is specific and if not done correctly the coating will burn off.
Now it's getting interesting!

How about Robert's question on bending vs welding of tubes?
Old 04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Curious, how much weigh does the set up save compared to the OEM set-up with the oem catted headers and side mufflers?
since this uses the stock center muffler, there is no weight savings there, The headers weigh almost the same as the stock ones with cats, give or take, so the side mufflers are the major weight savings. I think it is like 35-38lbs lighter than stock? I would have to check money2536's thread again as he weighed everything.

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Are these connected into the stock final muffler? Can you make them in inconel coated so as to keep heat from burning paint? Can you get fully bent tubes so as to minimize the number of welds?
Originally Posted by Nizer

Currently these headers have welds at the flange, and at the step only. I have worked to minimize the number of welds already. I can go a step further and get custom tooling made to bend the tubes out of one piece of tubing, and then create another tooling fixture to clamp the tube and hydro form expand the secondary part out for the step. This would eliminate all of the welds on the header tubes.

The slip fit collectors I would leave because of heat expansion,

the secondary side pipes I can do the same but again it is several pieces of custom tooling per piece to get them done. on the side pipes it would only eliminate the one weld in the middle of the 3" pipes. the 2" and flex into the top of the center muffler would still be the same.

And maybe save another 10lbs??
20ga TI would be slightly lighter than 20-22ga Inconel yes, I would expect the headers to go from weighing 10lbs each to about 4lbs each, and the secondary side pipes from about 6lbs to about 3. that makes it about 14lbs give or take. again I am just making estimates based on the material weight differences.

Originally Posted by Nizer

Old 04-21-2016, 11:25 AM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't crack at some point right? Due to the heat under there...
Old 04-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Everyone keep in mind the custom tooling to hydroform etc, is in the $xx,xxx range. So not for the faint of heart...
Old 04-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It won't crack at some point right? Due to the heat under there...
In my experience cracks generally happen from thermal expansion and vibration. .025-.035" wall inconel still retains a lot of strength if it is prepared and welded correctly. The product also must have been built correctly and installed correctly as to have no preloaded stress when all bolted down.

Titanium has roughly 2x the strength of aluminum but has the similar weight and can be very brittle and more often than not can crack from vibration combined with poor weld quality and contamination.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:01 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just sitting back in the wings enjoying all this stuff. Thanks boys for all the education. Really enjoying following this thread.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jamie is there anymore vids or data coming out soon?
Always up for some vids!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:21 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

How much louder is this system than a rear bypass? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by consolidated
How much louder is this system than a rear bypass? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
It's louder, but sounds better! i think Matt said its 30-40% louder. Maybe someone else said that too.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

YOU SAY YOU WANT TI?! HERE YOU GO.
Buddy who has some skills for sure.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
YOU SAY YOU WANT TI?! HERE YOU GO.
Buddy who has some skills for sure.

Yup. Now build a full set of headers from pie cuts.

I would actually get TI bends to build my stuff instead of pie cuts. Pie cuts are A LOT cheaper for the material but there sure is a lot more welding.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:03 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Yup. Now build a full set of headers from pie cuts.

I would actually get TI bends to build my stuff instead of pie cuts. Pie cuts are A LOT cheaper for the material but there sure is a lot more welding.
Oh yeah for sure, pie looks pretty for after turbo section but headers, never.

Quick Reply: 40whp and 30wtq gains with Dundon Motorsports Headers, no flash required!