Sponsored by:

Cost benefit?? 19" =$= 20"

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
If a set of Hoosiers cost $1500 and last 3 days, but a set of cup2 cost $2000 and last 6 days you're not saving money. Grip costs money. No way around that.
Good point
Old 02-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Bob Loblaw
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
PT3, I wouldn't let the posts you often see on here bother you. Some people are just overly antagonistic and negative on forums for whatever reason - its pretty common these days on Rennlist.
Very true. There are also a number of posters (some who have posted in this thread already) who write in an authoritative or confident style that believe they know a lot more than they really do. They don't understand the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something, to paraphrase Feynman. So take the advice you see written here with a grain of salt, except when it comes from people who have genuine experience and knowledge. Even then, you can chose to apply only those pieces of advice that work with your learning style.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:28 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Good point
Yeah.... this is the kind of insight that is helpful from an experienced guy like Joe!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:06 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
Very true. There are also a number of posters (some who have posted in this thread already) who write in an authoritative or confident style that believe they know a lot more than they really do. They don't understand the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something, to paraphrase Feynman. So take the advice you see written here with a grain of salt, except when it comes from people who have genuine experience and knowledge. Even then, you can chose to apply only those pieces of advice that work with your learning style.
Thanks Bob.
Admittedly...it does bother me...as it seems my intention and approach are not coming through via this medium of communication. It's hard to 'prove' that I'm not an idiot here. lol.
I KNOW my approach method is sound...for me at least. It may not be other's style... but many others wouldn't start tracking with a GT3 like I am.
Either way... appreciate the note Bob.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Thanks Bob.
Admittedly...it does bother me...as it seems my intention and approach are not coming through via this medium of communication. It's hard to 'prove' that I'm not an idiot here. lol.
I KNOW my approach method is sound...for me at least. It may not be other's style... but many others wouldn't start tracking with a GT3 like I am.
Either way... appreciate the note Bob.
PT3, your excitement is infectious! You are asking lots of questions and listening to more experienced folks, which is a great way to start. I agree there isn't a "proper" method for climbing the learning curve. But there are a lot of "right way/wrong way" Porsche guys (at my first event in mid 90s, my instructor told me not to put my elbow on the window sill while we were sitting in the parking lot talking after a session! what????)

Most important thing is to be safe, which is why you are hearing a lot of "fatherly" advice. This is a crazy fast car, and it will kill you very quickly if you don't respect it. I stopped instructing because there are too many jackrabbits out there with 500hp cars, no experience and big egos. bad combo.

Personally, I think it's crazy to try to learn with such an extreme machine, but you'll be fine if you just eat a lot of humble pie and listen carefully.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:01 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
PT3, your excitement is infectious! You are asking lots of questions and listening to more experienced folks, which is a great way to start. I agree there isn't a "proper" method for climbing the learning curve. But there are a lot of "right way/wrong way" Porsche guys (at my first event in mid 90s, my instructor told me not to put my elbow on the window sill while we were sitting in the parking lot talking after a session! what????)

Most important thing is to be safe, which is why you are hearing a lot of "fatherly" advice. This is a crazy fast car, and it will kill you very quickly if you don't respect it. I stopped instructing because there are too many jackrabbits out there with 500hp cars, no experience and big egos. bad combo.

Personally, I think it's crazy to try to learn with such an extreme machine, but you'll be fine if you just eat a lot of humble pie and listen carefully.
Thanks bud. I am TOTALLY okay with eating humble pie! And I hear you loud and clear about 'too many jackrabbits'..! I agree. But while I may 'SEEM' like one due to some of my choices... I'm actually not...I'm very calculated and measured when it comes to things that involve 3k lb machines that travel at rates of speed that can kill.

And yes, while I want to ask questions and look for advice...I still need to do things MY way to a certain extent. And sometimes that DOES mean making mistakes. But any successful person will tell you that mistakes/failures are part of the 'game'. Many learn more from their mistakes than their successes.

I greatly do appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Cost benefit?? 19" =$= 20"