Sponsored by:

Cost benefit?? 19" =$= 20"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Not quite... Let's agree that the force supported by the contact patch is the same regardless of the tire. For a 60% rear weight biased car, that's roughly 30% of the car's weight W on each of the rear tires. So 30% of the car's weight (0.3*W) is the total force applied from the tire to the ground through the "contact patch". That total 0.3*W force on the patch creates a pressure distribution over the area of that patch. For simplicity, if we assume the pressure over the patch is roughly constant (a good assumption if your tires wear uniformly), then the force, area, and pressure are simply related by: Force = Pressure x Area If you look at a piece of tire in the middle of the contact patch, it has the contact patch ground pressure on one side, internal tire air pressure on the other side, and some shear forces in the rubber around the edges of that section. But if the tire section is sitting flat and properly inflated, these internal tire rubber forces are relatively small the the tire contact patch pressure is essentially the internal tire air pressure. So if you have 35 psi (pounds per square inch) in your tire, then a 3100 lb car with 30% of the weight over each rear wheel as roughly this size contact patch: Area = Force / Pressure = (0.3 * 3100 lb) / (35 lb / in^2) = 26.6 square inches For a 12" wide rear tire and an approximation of a simple rectangular contact patch, that's a 2.2" long x 12" wide patch. Sounds reasonable, no? So far, tire diameter hasn't factored into any of these calculations... There is a second order effect on contact patch area for narrow profile tires. For a fixed tire outer diameter, but larger wheel diameter, the profile gets shorter, and the sidewall stiffness goes up. The stiffer the sidewall, the higher the actual pressure at the edges of the contact patch where the sidewall touches the road. In the above calculation, we assumed pressure was uniform, but in actuality the edges are a bit higher. For the same tire air pressure, this causes a little more of the car's weight to be supported at the edges of the patch and less in the center, reducing the "contact patch" area slightly. Also, the wider the tire, the wider the aspect area of the contact patch area, so the less the impact of the sidewall pressure on the overall contact patch area, so the area goes up slightly for the same tire pressure... Another second order effect is the overall tire diameter. At the long edges of the contact patch where the curvature of the tire lifts up and off the road, the stiffness there is higher just like at the sidewall, so the local contact patch pressure there is higher. The larger the diameter, the less this effect. Anyway, in conclusion, contact patch area is virtually completely a function of the tire air pressure. So does a 991 GT3 RS rear 21" tire have a larger contact patch than a 991 GT3 20" tire? Depends on the tire pressure. But does it have a more uniform contact patch pressure? Yes, slightly. Why is more uniform pressure important? Tire material coefficients of friction are non-ideal and decrease with load. That is, if you take a piece of rubber loaded with force F, vs. two identical pieces of rubber each loaded with half the force F/2, the two half-loaded pieces with have more total friction force available than the single higher loaded piece. This is the fundamental reason why everything in motorsports is about being "smooth" (to reduce peak load transients on the tire that result in far less friction holding ability than the steady-state turning load), why sway bar tuning affects balance (distributing more or less load on the inside or outside tire changes total available grip on that axle), etc... End rant...
Thanks Mech. That is why I stated all other things being equal lol!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Great analysis, Mech33. As you point out, there are several factors affecting contact patch size and some have more influence than others. Still, if all other parameters are equal, the larger the diameter of the tire the longer and, overall, the larger the contact patch will be. It is, in fact, one of the reasons manufacturers keep increasing tire diameter where it's possible.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Great analysis, Mech33. As you point out, there are several factors affecting contact patch size and some have more influence than others. Still, if all other parameters are equal, the larger the diameter of the tire the longer and, overall, the larger the contact patch will be. It is, in fact, one of the reasons manufacturers keep increasing tire diameter where it's possible.
To be more technically accurate, they would be increasing diameter to keep the tire contact patch *pressure* more uniform, not increase the patch itself...
Old 02-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

To be more technically accurate, they would be increasing diameter to keep the tire contact patch *pressure* more uniform, not increase the patch itself...
I accept that you know more about this than I do. Thanks for the clarification....
Old 02-22-2016, 01:50 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I accept that you know more about this than I do. Thanks for the clarification....
Meh, I'm just surmising...

You can increase or decrease the tire pressure to make the tire contact patch smaller or larger, so how do you compare exactly to definitely say one setup gives you a larger contact patch fundamentally than the other?

You can lower tire pressure and make the contact patch larger, which should theoretically increase static friction. But then when you turn hard, you'll start to tug on the sidewall and get roll-over, which will start to lift tire off the road and focus more of the weight on the edge, which will drive the contact pressure up on the smaller contact patch and reduce overall max lateral load capability.

So for a given tire setup, there must be some optimal pressure setting (and camber setting) such that you get the ideal, most uniform load distribution across the tire patch to reduce peak pressure and maximize overall lateral load capability.

And for a larger overall tire diameter, I suppose that optimized setting must result in an overall higher capability than the lower tire diameter, all other things being equal... at least by a small margin.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

PeterVb discussed the benefits of increased diameter wheels on tyre patch very eloquently in an ancient thread somewhere on here IIRC....
Old 02-22-2016, 02:07 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not quite...

Let's agree that the force supported by the contact patch is the same regardless of the tire. For a 60% rear weight biased car, that's roughly 30% of the car's weight W on each of the rear tires. So 30% of the car's weight (0.3*W) is the total force applied from the tire to the ground through the "contact patch".

That total 0.3*W force on the patch creates a pressure distribution over the area of that patch. For simplicity, if we assume the pressure over the patch is roughly constant (a good assumption if your tires wear uniformly), then the force, area, and pressure are simply related by:

Force = Pressure x Area

If you look at a piece of tire in the middle of the contact patch, it has the contact patch ground pressure on one side, internal tire air pressure on the other side, and some shear forces in the rubber around the edges of that section. But if the tire section is sitting flat and properly inflated, these internal tire rubber forces are relatively small the the tire contact patch pressure is essentially the internal tire air pressure.

So if you have 35 psi (pounds per square inch) in your tire, then a 3100 lb car with 30% of the weight over each rear wheel as roughly this size contact patch:

Area = Force / Pressure = (0.3 * 3100 lb) / (35 lb / in^2) = 26.6 square inches

For a 12" wide rear tire and an approximation of a simple rectangular contact patch, that's a 2.2" long x 12" wide patch. Sounds reasonable, no?

So far, tire diameter hasn't factored into any of these calculations...

There is a second order effect on contact patch area for narrow profile tires. For a fixed tire outer diameter, but larger wheel diameter, the profile gets shorter, and the sidewall stiffness goes up. The stiffer the sidewall, the higher the actual pressure at the edges of the contact patch where the sidewall touches the road. In the above calculation, we assumed pressure was uniform, but in actuality the edges are a bit higher. For the same tire air pressure, this causes a little more of the car's weight to be supported at the edges of the patch and less in the center, reducing the "contact patch" area slightly.

Also, the wider the tire, the wider the aspect area of the contact patch area, so the less the impact of the sidewall pressure on the overall contact patch area, so the area goes up slightly for the same tire pressure...

Another second order effect is the overall tire diameter. At the long edges of the contact patch where the curvature of the tire lifts up and off the road, the stiffness there is higher just like at the sidewall, so the local contact patch pressure there is higher. The larger the diameter, the less this effect.

Anyway, in conclusion, contact patch area is virtually completely a function of the tire air pressure. So does a 991 GT3 RS rear 21" tire have a larger contact patch than a 991 GT3 20" tire? Depends on the tire pressure. But does it have a more uniform contact patch pressure? Yes, slightly.

Why is more uniform pressure important? Tire material coefficients of friction are non-ideal and decrease with load. That is, if you take a piece of rubber loaded with force F, vs. two identical pieces of rubber each loaded with half the force F/2, the two half-loaded pieces with have more total friction force available than the single higher loaded piece. This is the fundamental reason why everything in motorsports is about being "smooth" (to reduce peak load transients on the tire that result in far less friction holding ability than the steady-state turning load), why sway bar tuning affects balance (distributing more or less load on the inside or outside tire changes total available grip on that axle), etc...

End rant...
Whoa...color me impressed!

So, Mech... What wheel size do YOU recommend?
Old 02-22-2016, 02:30 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

So if the price wasn't a factor, and Hoosiers were made in the 20'' size suitable for the GT3, would you go 19" wheels or 20...?

I guess I'm really trying to figure out what is the better handling/performing wheel diameter for track duty?
Old 02-22-2016, 02:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Please don't run Hoosiers if you are novice. Not to beat a dead horse, but don't be that guy.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

$500-700 set of tire is a BIG difference.
some of us destroy a set per weekend!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:04 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Please don't run Hoosiers if you are novice. Not to beat a dead horse, but don't be that guy.
Joe, I thought we covered this.??

I am PLANNING for the future since I'm buying wheels NOW.

I really appreciate your concern.... But trust me...i know, that I DON'T know. I am getting an education here by asking LOTS of questions so that I can aggregate all the info and make some decisions to coincide with my future plans.

Why do I come across as 'THAT GUY' anyway? Because I didn't start tracking with a vehicle less than a GT3?
Old 02-22-2016, 03:09 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
$500-700 set of tire is a BIG difference.
some of us destroy a set per weekend!
I can TOTALLY appreciate that! Hence all my questions.

But I'm looking to first understand what is the IDEAL size, price not factored.

I don't want to make a decision purely on price without first understanding the differences.

Please know...all my questions are so that I can learn from folks who've done this before. Not so that I may implement it all right away...but so I can get a sense on where I may want to end up...so I can attempt to make the best decisions now to set myself up to be where I want to get to.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:08 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is more uniform pressure important? Tire material coefficients of friction are non-ideal and decrease with load. That is, if you take a piece of rubber loaded with force F, vs. two identical pieces of rubber each loaded with half the force F/2, the two half-loaded pieces with have more total friction force available than the single higher loaded piece. This is the fundamental reason why everything in motorsports is about being "smooth" (to reduce peak load transients on the tire that result in far less friction holding ability than the steady-state turning load), why sway bar tuning affects balance (distributing more or less load on the inside or outside tire changes total available grip on that axle), etc... ...
Interesting point! Now this may answer the question I have had for 40 years of why the 1975-76 Tyrrell cars were designed this way! And they still couldn't beat Niki Lauda!
Attached Images   

Last edited by rubbaman; 02-22-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PhilT3
So if the price wasn't a factor, and Hoosiers were made in the 20'' size suitable for the GT3, would you go 19" wheels or 20...?

I guess I'm really trying to figure out what is the better handling/performing wheel diameter for track duty?
If price was no option and full availability of tire options was available in all sizes, I would stick with the OEM 20" size. This keeps the sidewall shorter / stiffer so the tire responds most quickly to input.

But for some, reduced cost and increased availability are worth a small tradeoff in steering / braking response.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pt3

PT3, what type of track experience or licenses do you possess? (Imsa, scca...)

Quick Reply: Cost benefit?? 19" =$= 20"