Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1RS Owners: Genuine Disappointment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

The 1RS is visually stunning and has the presence to dwarf just about anything beside it. I've tracked one hard at my home track, and lived with mine as a street car for weeks now. I must say: something's gone missing.

My agenda has nothing to do with nostalgia. I just want to compare notes with others in similar shoes. Do others feel let down?

Observations:

1. 991 Chassis is inherently more grippy and stable vs. earlier cars. This has nothing to do with electronics: drive a 1Cup back-to-back with a 7Cup and it becomes immediately clear... the new chassis is closer to a mid-engined setup than ever. But it's also more muted... the tail comes around with less warning. Still playful, but not as communicative.

2. Electronic Steering is very good, but it's lost a lot of feeling at the limit. Again, I suspect it's got something to do with the new chassis being very capable--the 1Cup suffers from the same problem (even though that car uses the hydraulic setup from the 7 GT3R). Drive the 1 first, hop into any of the earlier RS'es and one will immediately tell the difference in feel.

We already know the facts about the new car. It is massively fast, and has a limit so high that most people won't (and shouldn't) reach on public roads. On track, it adopts the demeanor of a *very easy to drive* Cup. Essentially a Cup for dummies, one with ABS and traction which 90% of the folks can drive with impunity. Think, a GTR with a Porsche crest...

But is that what RS'es are about? I feel that this car with its creature comfort and user-friendliness has compromised too much. It's almost become a mass-market product, a 1TT if you will...

Other owners, please chime in... I'm in need of a mental reset...

Name:  Photo Feb 05, 12 08 10.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  372.3 KB Name:  Photo Feb 05, 12 30 46.jpg
Views: 2731
Size:  130.9 KB

Last edited by CRex; 02-16-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

your assessment is pretty on point.
BUT you also should realized that it's a different car, i was talking to another p car nut the other day. i am not sure 991 is a car. it's just different. and if one can only have one RS, then there are issues... feel or absolute lap time etc etc. but i saw your current p car holdings. for YOU, 991 is a great and necessarily car. it provides a different experience.

take the 6RS out when you feel like wot 90% of the time. and have a tight sphincter all day.
take the 7 out if u want some tail slides
take the 991 out if you want to have a relaxing weekend with nice roads but longer distance say 300 mile periodically you want to feel the hp or take a bit of illegal liberty at a corner...

you have a great collection. keep the RS
dont pretend it is the old RS or make it do things that you think old RS should do. it does it's own thing very well. a fast capable car doesn't mean that it has to be driven fast all the time. a fast ball pitcher doesn't always pitch fast ball, even if that's his only pitch worth a dime.

i dont have 996 anymore., i have 7RS, 991GT3 (RS in a few months), 964 and 991 3.2L. i like them all, but for different reasons. and depending on mood. the 3.2 is really really slow. but if it's sunny out on sunday, that's the car i take to brunch. the 997GT3 is loud and noisy i love it when i want to push it a bit, but i hate it if i am in foul mood, it vibrates too much and juswt too noisy. so you must have all of them!

Last edited by mooty; 02-15-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
The 1RS is visually stunning and has the presence to dwarf just about anything beside it. I've tracked one hard at my home track, and lived with mine as a street car for weeks now. I must say: something's gone missing.

My agenda has nothing to do with nostalgia. I just want to compare notes with others in similar shoes. Do others feel let down?

Observations:

1. 991 Chassis is inherently more grippy and stable vs. earlier cars. This has nothing to do with electronics: drive a 1Cup back-to-back with a 7Cup and it becomes immediately clear... the new chassis is closer to a mid-engined setup than ever. But it's also more muted... the tail comes around with less warning. Still playful, but not as communicative.

2. Electronic Steering is very good, but it's lost a lot of feeling at the limit. Again, I suspect it's got something to do with the new chassis being very capable--the 1Cup suffers from the same problem (even though that car uses the hydraulic setup from the 7 GT3R). Drive the 1 car, hop into any of the earlier RS'es and one will immediately tell the difference in feel.

We already know the facts about the new car. It is massively fast, and has a limit so high that most people won't (and shouldn't) reach on public roads. On track, it adopts the demeanor of a *very easy to drive* Cup. Essentially a Cup for dummies, one with ABS and traction which 90% of the folks can drive with impunity. Think, a GTR with a Porsche crest...

But is that what RS'es are about? I feel that this car with its creature comfort and user-friendliness has compromised too much. It's almost become a mass-market product, a 1TT if you will...

I think your observations are founded. I describe the 991 GT3 and RS to be more 'insulating'. When I want to enjoy sheer performance (and I do enjoy it), the 991 GT3/RS fill that role. When I want to feel more engaged, the 997 RS does that.

Drove my friend's late 80's 930 last month. That was even more engaging as a driver (takes more work to drive it well - which I need more work with) and a completely different feel from the 997 RS.

Technology advances and the older cars seem more raw/less refined compared to the current models. Is it a natural and consistent progression?

I'll take them both.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:29 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
your assessment is pretty no point.
BUT you also should realized that it's a different car, i was talking to another p car nut the other day. i am not sure 991 is a car. it's just different. and if one can only have one RS, then there are issues... feel or absolute lap time etc etc. but i saw your current p car holdings. for YOU, 991 is a great and necessarily car. it provides a different experience.

take the 6RS out when you feel like wot 90% of the time. and have a tight sphincter all day.
take the 7 out if u want some tail slides
take the 991 out if you want to have a relaxing weekend with nice roads but longer distance say 300 mile periodically you want to feel the hp or take a bit of illegal liberty at a corner...

you have a great collection. keep the RS
dont pretend it is the old RS or make it do things that you think old RS should do. it does it's own thing very well. a fast capable car doesn't mean that it has to be driven fast all the time. a fast ball pitcher doesn't always pitch fast ball, even if that's his only pitch worth a dime.

i dont have 996 anymore., i have 7RS, 991GT3 (RS in a few months), 964 and 991 3.2L. i like them all, but for different reasons. and depending on mood. the 3.2 is really really slow. but if it's sunny out on sunday, that's the car i take to brunch. the 997GT3 is loud and noisy i love it when i want to push it a bit, but i hate it if i am in foul mood, it vibrates too much and juswt too noisy. so you must have all of them!
I agree with Mooty. I don't know what all the fuss is about modern cars vs. older generations. To me it's like wine, what are you eating tonight- pair it up and enjoy. Do you have white wine with your steak? Etc.

Keeping that theme for a minute, getting too far into the details about steering feel and chassis dynamics is like saying you taste raspberry and pomegranate in your wine. Really? I drive my cars hard, they all 'feel' different. When I get in my race car after driving my truck, it feels 'different'. But ask me to describe the feeling of the steering in my SRF 3 race car vs. my GT3, I don't think I can tell you much, they both just work fine I don't 'feel' much difference. Maybe I'm just numb. But I'm like that with wine too. I can tell you if it's good or bad, but don't ask me to describe the undertones of chocolate and oranges and cinnamon.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

^ See that's the mental reset I'm looking for. All these points I can relate to, esp what Mooty said--this is a fast pitcher and its money throw really is that one kind of pitch...
Old 02-15-2016, 09:46 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

^ See that's the mental reset I'm looking for. All these points I can relate to, esp what Mooty said--this is a fast pitcher and its money throw really is that one kind of pitch...
That's the spirit!! Enjoy them all, we all wish we had your collection to compare, maybe I would be less 'numb'!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:53 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Good posts gents. I don't play in the RS league, but experience similar things with my GT4 vs. track prepped Elise. I can drive the former all day long. But the latter is more communicative and raw, to the point that it's better in smaller doses.

Glad I have both.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

and that's a very important pitch/car, should you choose the right occasion.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad I don't have all 3 RSs to feel disappointed. I joke of course.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:08 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Horses for courses. I wish I had $$/room for all the variations. The above threads capture the history of Porsche GT cars in a nutshell. Things change. Some things are positive some are negative. Just drive em and enjoy em and be glad that you can. Sometimes we all think and analyze too much!!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Great thread and good advice given to a perceptive enthusiast
Old 02-15-2016, 10:30 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Also depends on your reference point. For those with a lot of time in a 996 or 997 RS, the 991 is bound to feel big, capable and numb. Too easy. Evidence of the progress of engineers in each one of those. Like Mooty said enjoy each for what it is. You aren't going to find a faster, more engaging 997 hidden inside a 991, you are going to find a 991 and all the good and not so good that comes with it.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Observations:

2. Electronic Steering is very good, but it's lost a lot of feeling at the limit. Again, I suspect it's got something to do with the new chassis being very capable--the 1Cup suffers from the same problem (even though that car uses the hydraulic setup from the 7 GT3R). Drive the 1 car, hop into any of the earlier RS'es and one will immediately tell the difference in feel.

Not an owner, but in all honestly, didn't you know all of this before you bought the car? The symptoms you've described is inherent (to some degree) in all modern cars.

That said, if you're unhappy with the car, why not just sell it? Should be easy, and life's too short to dwell on on a mistaken purchase.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If it gives you any solace, I am not blown away by my 991 GT3 either. It's a great car, but it doesn't exhilarate me like my 996 and 997 did.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:18 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

This is all common knowledge with the 991. However as soon as I read this it just solidifies the position of both 997.1 and 997.2 RS.

Moving forward do you think the next gen RS will shrink a bit? Parked next to a panamera the front proportions are equal in size!

Was the water buffalo reference pun intended?

All jokes aside all RS gens are amazing in there own right.

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Oh boy I hope the 997 GT3/RS forum boys don't catch wind of this thread. Have you ever seen 15 hyaenas pounce on a wounded water buffalo?

Quick Reply: 1RS Owners: Genuine Disappointment?