Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Not only that- boring track videos to watch. Mike
Old 02-17-2016, 12:21 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
IMO, the PDK has opened the customer base to pretty much all high-end buyers..
Yeah, because wealthy guys never drove a stick...dde44 Please. You guys and your 'the new cars aren't engaging...' BS just sound like a bunch of bitter old men. And OP, you bought a street car and you're surprised it's not a race car?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:40 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cars are now designed by committees who must comply and bring forth a 100% viable concept.
it's working for a lot of manufacturers, in that the return is underwritten by the gentrification of their product lines.
in this case, one can tell that ap got to where he is from the hardcore attitude and subsequent risks he took in conceptualising then pushing forth to market all 996/997gt models, but where to from now?
i'd imagine his work is close to done.
let the kids come onboard and let them do their techno thang.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:43 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeah, because wealthy guys never drove a stick...dde44 Please. You guys and your 'the new cars aren't engaging...' BS just sound like a bunch of bitter old men. And OP, you bought a street car and you're surprised it's not a race car?
^This and below...

I wonder if Jörg Bergmeister thought the RS was numb when he broke the track record at The Bilster Berg? Sorry, sounds like first world problems.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I am only 38 (just had a birthday)... been owning GT cars since I was 30. I am not bitter at all... just a passionate enthusiast. I currently own a '15 GT3. I have also owned a 997.2 RS and a 997.1 RS... and I hold several POC lap records in a 997.2 cup car.. so I do have some relative experience to back my claims. My comment was not mean't to bash the 991. They are amazing cars!

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 02-17-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:04 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 259 Posts

No need to explain yourself. You can clearly see who is ignorant and not, just by the need for some personal attack.

I am only 38 (just had a birthday)... been owning GT cars since I was 30. I am not bitter at all... just a passionate enthusiast. I currently own a '15 GT3. I have also owned a 997.2 RS and a 997.1 RS... and I hold several POC lap records in a 997.2 cup car.. so I do have some relative experience to back my claims. My comment was not mean't to bash the 991. They are amazing cars!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:11 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Forum is about expressing your opinion. I've yet to see that someone here thinks the RS is a bad car. Just different.
For many this will be the best RS ever built. (TRAKCAR has hit the sweet spot with his and the way he uses it)
Some will look for an old or wait for the next one. The thing of always backing up your own car gets old.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:18 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What doesn't make sense to me is why would you hold on to a expensive car like the RS if it doesn't tickle you fancy. The other part which doesn't make sense is like I hate M3 but I am logged in to that forum 24/7. Why would I waste my time? I am not suggesting the stick guys leave but just wondering. Think about it.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:24 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
What doesn't make sense to me is why would you hold on to a expensive car like the RS if it doesn't tickle you fancy. The other part which doesn't make sense is like I hate M3 but I am logged in to that forum 24/7. Why would I waste my time? I am not suggesting the stick guys leave but just wondering. Think about it.
I think it's the ultimate form of humble brag.

As in, not only do I have the most exclusive, ultimate expression of the 911 of its generation, but I'm still not satisfied.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I am only 38 (just had a birthday)... been owning GT cars since I was 30. I am not bitter at all... just a passionate enthusiast!
Enthusiast. Another word thrown around right before someone tells you how much better than you they are because they like something old...

Let me guess, the next word you'll use to describe your previous car is 'soul'...
Old 02-17-2016, 01:29 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I always laugh when I hear posters complain about steering feel on the 991 and then I go back and watch the review of the car by Tiff Needle, a guy who has more talent and racing experience in his little finger than any of the blowhards on Rennlist, and he loves the steering feel. Strange.

Some of you guys should read Otto Bettman's book 'The Good Old Days, They Were Terrible'.

Last edited by Archimedes; 02-17-2016 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:35 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think it's the ultimate form of humble brag.

As in, not only do I have the most exclusive, ultimate expression of the 911 of its generation, but I'm still not satisfied.
, nothing is good enough for me. I am just so good.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 259 Posts

I agree on all points. Each RS gen is different, yet still an RS.

People always want the latest and greatest, sometimes it just does not workout. I have a extra room full of flat screen tv's because annual CES gives me need for an upgrade, cannot say I like any of them old ones except a KURO, now its OLED and it best all of the old ones but does have its own drawbacks in some areas of pq. Don't know how this correlates, but whatever

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Forum is about expressing your opinion. I've yet to see that someone here thinks the RS is a bad car. Just different.
For many this will be the best RS ever built. (TRAKCAR has hit the sweet spot with his and the way he uses it)
Some will look for an old or wait for the next one. The thing of always backing up your own car gets old.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:15 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I am not suggesting the stick guys leave but just wondering. Think about it.
It's one thing to go on a forum and just bash people but it's another thing to go on a forum and give harsh but honest opinions. In my line of work I surround myself with people that challenge me instead of saying 'yes' all the time. It's helped my division grow and outperform the rest of the business segments. I'm getting promoted and taking my team with me - because I love to hear opposing arguments and they deserve this promotion as much as I do. Sometimes they're correct and I'm wrong and sometimes I'm right and they're wrong.

I knew in a few hours of driving the 991 GT3 in the suburbs surrounding the Heckenheimring and on the actual Hockenheimring that the 991 GT3 wasn't for me. The car was sterile and falsely inspirational. A 9000 RPM engine? So what? Lighting quick gear changes? So what? What does that do? A computer on wheels - a car, in most people's hands, that is faster in auto mode on the track than manual mode. That's not a GT3 as we know it. That's a gimmick. Not all technology is good, not all technology is beneficial.

Formel 1 cars are the fastest most brutal cars on the track. 99.1% of the people here would not be able to turn even a quarter lap without spinning out of control. The nature of race cars - need very quick reflexes and an intuitive automotive feel to drive them. The 997 and 996 cars gave us a little bit of this challenge (they're not race cars either) but the 991 force fed us false confidence and piśśing contests. The really good drivers will be bored with the 991, but the average drivers will love it since it elevates them artificially to something they want to be. Porsche knows this and made a car accordingly. Just my humble but harsh and honest opinion.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
It's one thing to go on a forum and just bash people but it's another thing to go on a forum and give harsh but honest opinions. In my line of work I surround myself with people that challenge me instead of saying 'yes' all the time. It's helped my division grow and outperform the rest of the business segments. I'm getting promoted and taking my team with me - because I love to hear opposing arguments and they deserve this promotion as much as I do. Sometimes they're correct and I'm wrong and sometimes I'm right and they're wrong. I knew in a few hours of driving the 991 GT3 in the suburbs surrounding the Heckenheimring and on the actual Hockenheimring that the 991 GT3 wasn't for me. The car was sterile and falsely inspirational. A 9000 RPM engine? So what? Lighting quick gear changes? So what? What does that do? A computer on wheels - a car, in most people's hands, that is faster in auto mode on the track than manual mode. That's not a GT3 as we know it. That's a gimmick. Not all technology is good, not all technology is beneficial. Formel 1 cars are the fastest most brutal cars on the track. 99.1% of the people here would not be able to turn even a quarter lap without spinning out of control. The nature of race cars - need very quick reflexes and an intuitive automotive feel to drive them. The 997 and 996 cars gave us a little bit of this challenge (they're not race cars either) but the 991 force fed us false confidence and piśśing contests. The really good drivers will be bored with the 991, but the average drivers will love it since it elevates them artificially to something they want to be. Porsche knows this and made a car accordingly. Just my humble but harsh and honest opinion.
Your entitles to your opinion. Of interest I was talking with Brendan Hartley and Earl Bamber at NZ Festival of Motor Racing last month. It was a gala dinner and I was a competitor for a few events. Earl had recently been in NZ doing a driver training day for Porsche and out a hot lap in on the new GT3 which was inspirational. There's some YouTube footage on him sliding the caramel round the track in Taupo. He thought it was one of the most fun road cars he had ever driven in track. Brendan's 991 RS arrives next month and he's super excited. They were at the event driving demo laps in the cars the factory flew in including 935.2 "money Dick" racer.

Your view is unique to you but as someone who spends one on the track with old and new 911s in equal measure I must say its one of the few reports I've heard that rubbishes the latest GT cars on track.

Just saying

Quick Reply: 1RS Owners: Genuine Disappointment?