Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1RS Owners: Genuine Disappointment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

As Chris Harris said at the beginning of his GT3 review, "it makes the 997 GT3 feel ancient". Comments were about the vanilla GT3, not RS, but IMHO they still apply.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Porsche said it was the biggest leap they ever took with an RS. I haven't driven the 991rs but all previous generations except 73RS.

The 996RS was also a big step from 993RS. Especially if you compare it to the 993rs CS.
As an owner of 996rs and 997rs4.0 I would say they deliver a great deal of driving pleasure on both road and track, and are a lot more similar in feel compared to the 997rs vs 991rs.

I'm still tempted by the 991RS, but just not as much as the previous models.

Been trying to put my finger on what's "missing" on the 991gen.
And haven't really come up with an answer. Personally the RS is about feel to me. A very raw and race like feel. Porsche makes a lot of great street cars that are good on track. (I got passed by a few on track last weekend)

Not sure it's the PDK vs MT that is the deciding factor. I don't think it is for me. Would like to buy a PDKs Porsche.
But I would have liked the 991rs to be less Panamera on the inside.
We always say the RS is the sum of its parts. And this time the sum of the parts are just a little bit to GTR like.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:49 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
The 996RS was also a big step from 993RS. Especially if you compare it to the 993rs CS.
Very very true. Having both the 3 and 6 I'll attest to that. Chalk and cheese as they are, they're REALLY good at what they each represent. There's a lightness in the 3 that the 6 can't remotely touch. But the 6 has a whole different level of power. Like the good folks above said, they should (and can easily) be appreciated in their own right.

This thread started coz I couldn't identify with the one thing the 1RS is really good at: being stupid fast and accessible. Accept that as a virtue and one will have no problem finding greatness in this car.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I have driven the 991 GT3,I don't think the RS is that much different. It just felt too large from inside the cabin in comparison with my 997 GTS. Seeing the GT3 next to a GT4 I'd say they're about the same size,yet the GT4 seems a bit more intimate. Still,the GT4 is a larger car than previous generations.
I think the larger wheels 20 and 21 inches,combined with larger wheelbase and improved suspension are great to handle all kinds of road conditions,but they further disconnect you from the road.
Removing hydraulic steering certainly didn't help. As much as everyone has praised the GT4 steering,I am not a big fan. I don't like high assistance at low speeds and increased resistance at higher speeds. It communicates well,but not like a hydraulic system would... At least I'm grateful there isn't some button that adjusts steering wheel feel. I hate that crap!
Then you have PDK...which further pushes you away from the driving experience.

These cars are just different from previous gen,it is up to you if you want to accept the changes and adapt or not.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've already seen a few times how the RS is being referred to the GTR of 911. And as much as I respect the GTR, philosophically, dynamically and subjectively they don't even come close. The GTR is effortless, if you think that the GT3 and by extension an RS is an effortless car, then you haven't pushed the car(s). I have also seen how there was previous reference to the 991 GT3 "becoming an S-Class" how mistaken that statement is. I can see how CRex might be dissatisfied with the car, and I agree that the car comes with faults. This car might not be perfect, and Rex has his own rightful opinion. As people have said something could be missing, but these cars cannot be clumped into the same breath as GTR and S-Class.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
As much as everyone has praised the GT4 steering,I am not a big fan. I don't like high assistance at low speeds and increased resistance at higher speeds. It communicates well,but not like a hydraulic system would... At least I'm grateful there isn't some button that adjusts steering wheel feel. I hate that crap!
Yeah I found that weird about the steering. Nevertheless, it's good that there is no button to alter that. The only button you need is ESC+TC, that's it.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I have driven the 991 GT3,I don't think the RS is that much different. It just felt too large from inside the cabin in comparison with my 997 GTS. Seeing the GT3 next to a GT4 I'd say they're about the same size,yet the GT4 seems a bit more intimate. Still,the GT4 is a larger car than previous generations.
I think the larger wheels 20 and 21 inches,combined with larger wheelbase and improved suspension are great to handle all kinds of road conditions,but they further disconnect you from the road.
Removing hydraulic steering certainly didn't help. As much as everyone has praised the GT4 steering,I am not a big fan. I don't like high assistance at low speeds and increased resistance at higher speeds. It communicates well,but not like a hydraulic system would... At least I'm grateful there isn't some button that adjusts steering wheel feel. I hate that crap!
Then you have PDK...which further pushes you away from the driving experience.

These cars are just different from previous gen,it is up to you if you want to accept the changes and adapt or not.
The GT3 feels very big on the inside because you have all that dead space behind you. It still drives small so it is not all that bad. The GT4 is certainly more intimate and has that "jet-fighter" **** pit feel. The GT4 steering is slightly better than the GT3 and it may have to do with the mid-engine setup.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I've already seen a few times how the RS is being referred to the GTR of 911. And as much as I respect the GTR, philosophically, dynamically and subjectively they don't even come close. The GTR is effortless, if you think that the GT3 and by extension an RS is an effortless car, then you haven't pushed the car(s). I have also seen how there was previous reference to the 991 GT3 "becoming an S-Class" how mistaken that statement is. I can see how CRex might be dissatisfied with the car, and I agree that the car comes with faults. This car might not be perfect, and Rex has his own rightful opinion. As people have said something could be missing, but these cars cannot be clumped into the same breath as GTR and S-Class.
I guess the GTR comment was directed to me, and I would like to clarify that I wasn't trying to put these cars in the same category.
Was trying to explain a feel with GTR being a reference. I believe a lot of you guys have driven the GTR.
As long as Porsche doesn't build a 991gt2 with 4wheel drive and all the nannies we are safe from the GTR comparison

The 991gt3 is in my mind the best gt3 to date. It's not " perfect" for my needs. But, still brilliant. Best dual purpose car on the market.
The 991RS seems to be "perfect" for a lot of people. Just look at demand and the prices.

If Porsche would build my perfect 991RS it would probably only sell in a few 100s! There would be no need for radio because you wouldn't be able to hear it.

I'm still hopeful that Porsche will make my 991rs. And probably a few on here will love it and some won't like it.

Best out of two worlds.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:29 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

My eye is on you its all directed to you! Haha J/K

No, seriously, I was speaking generally about the GTR and it has been referred to that way multiple times before to the extent that EVO included it in the GT3 review when it came out, and even Jethro dismissed that notion.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

The 991 is a leap in luxury as well. The interiors of all current models has have taken design ques from the Panamera. It is all subjective and I feel it has to do with target demographics and boosting sales by making it more accessible/drivable to people who have Porsche money and can care less about racing heritage. Most likely prior BMW M and Mercedes owners stepping up to the GT3 and F-car and McLaren owners getting a taste of the RS.

Its all new money for for Porsche and would not be surprised if the production numbers gradually increase year after year.

I'll go for the unadulterated spartan interior and 6psd.
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
The 991 is a leap in luxury as well. The interiors of all current models has have taken design ques from the Panamera. It is all subjective and I feel it has to do with target demographics and boosting sales by making it more accessible/drivable to people who have Porsche money and can care less about racing heritage. Most likely prior BMW M and Mercedes owners stepping up to the GT3 and F-car and McLaren owners getting a taste of the RS. Its all new money for for Porsche and would not be surprised if the production numbers gradually increase year after year. I'll go for the unadulterated spartan interior and 6psd.
Exactly^ if the goal is to sell RS in volumes it makes perfect sense.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I am not in love with this car...
Stephen - don't sell it before I try it at Ridge this summer. In return, I'll let you track my 3.8RS.

I don't have a 991RS, but I have similar feeling comparing my 991 GTS club coupe in PDK vs 997 club coupe 6 speed manual.

For driving pleasure around town, I pick the 997 more than 90% of the time as it is more nimble and fun to drive.

My wife can use the 991 as grocery getter.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:36 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
My advice. By a really really good example of a well set up and modified air cooled manual and with the change from your RS a 991 GT3 Swiss Army knife and with what's left over buy some crude index ETF to sit on for when the market corrects. Heck take the family on a trip to New Zealand as you'll surely have enough left to over :-)
+1 with the qualification that I don't own one. The newer cars are ferociously fast. But for me personally the biggest smiles come from wringing out the 993 (when it is not trying to bite back of course). Looks like you have a 993RS in your stable already...
Old 02-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Different than older cars, of course. Otherwise what's the point?

The RS is exceeding my expectations, which are extremely high. I love the car. I don't know that there's another current production street car I would prefer (at any price)
Old 02-16-2016, 06:58 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

IMO, the PDK has opened the customer base to pretty much all high-end buyers.. where the earlier models were only manual and with this the customer base was mostly enthusiasts and purists. And this reason, IMO, it the biggest factor for the "market adjustment". In terms of the actual car, the 991 RS (and GT3) are less exciting and less rewarding vs. 997.2.. so if you are an enthusiast and purist, the 991 is a disappointment.. especially if you have seat time in the earlier RS'. IMO, the 997.2 RS is the best of the 997.1, 997.2 and 991 variants.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 02-16-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 1RS Owners: Genuine Disappointment?