Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:02 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you, Rob!

I had a plan to immediately get a rid of this car, but now I'm curious to know how new engine will perform.

So I have to wait till snow goes away (April), then do 3000 km break-in first.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

thanks guys great to know warranty transfers
Old 11-30-2017, 11:35 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Are their any GT3's with "G" Model Engines that have had any Engine problems?
I now have over 10,000 miles on my own "G" model Engine with absolutely no problems on Road or Track.
Still in love with my GT3-1.
Your Experience?
Old 12-01-2017, 12:53 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I now have over 10,000 miles on my own "G" model Engine with absolutely no problems on Road or Track.
Your Experience?

if if you have a ‘16 car you have a great rare one. Less than 200.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:27 AM
LKS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Experience?
Firstly, I read all 180 pages of this thread after I discovered it when my car succumbed to the CEL FF issue.
Thanks to everyone that has made significant contributions to this thread and not only helped me to understand the issue well, but enabled me to discuss everything with my PC here in Umhlanga, South Africa.
A special word of thanks to the The 991.1 GT3 Concerned Owners Group, what an amazing day that must have been and all credit to Porsche for their response.
To answer FastLaneTurbo, yes I have a G-series engine. My car was built mid 2015 and delivered Aug 2015. I have done around 17,500km about 2,500km of which has been on track. In South Africa our warranty, like Europe, is only 2 years so my car is out of warranty. The CEL on my car occurred on the road on a P Club breakfast run when the engine was at around 8,500rpm. The fault was easily re-produced many times by myself after I realised that the fault reset with an engine restart. My PC technician has been outstanding and whilst he tried the usual coil pack and plug swaps it was obvious quite quickly that this was the FF issue. AFAIK my car is the second one that has had the issue at this PC. Bear in mind that there are only approx 40 x 991 GT3’s in our country. My car went into the PC on 27 Jan and it took until 27 Feb for PAG to approve a new engine. It is now in the process of shipping.
My concern and questions are as follows: (apologies in advance if these questions have in fact been answered already and I’ve missed them)
1. It seems that I may receive another G0 series engine that does not have all the latest upgrades including the DLC coated cams?
2. Am I correct that in the US the first “in-service” date is the date of first registration of the vehicle?
3. Is the ENTIRE ENGINE 10-year warranty extension applied globally?
Thanks in advance for any clarifications.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

First, glad you are getting a new engine! You should have the new, fixed engine, if they are shipping it from Germany. In-service date starts the 10 year countdown, correct. The entire engine is covered, not just FF related failures. This is global. Check the sticky’s at the top.

See if you can get photos of the crate, as it has some data on the engine number. Good luck with your new engine!
Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 PM
LKS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Rob, I found and read the other threads after my post. Very interesting.
Still love my car! Was considering the new .2 RS but with a new motor and the .1 GT3's all-round abilities it is very hard to justify the significant extra $$!
Old 03-03-2018, 10:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by LKS
Thanks Rob, I found and read the other threads after my post. Very interesting.
Still love my car! Was considering the new .2 RS but with a new motor and the .1 GT3's all-round abilities it is very hard to justify the significant extra $$!
Definitely agree. Great car. Terrific car for the money. Many happy miles to you!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Your Experience?
2016 G engine 11,000 miles no issues whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:34 PM
mlkissel1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the G engine out of my mid 2015 GT3 for non engine related issues. Had the valve covers removed for inspection of the finger followers and cams. I am not a track rat, 6 track days, probably 6 auto cross events. Car has just over 12,000 miles. I am happy to say that the top end looked perfect. We turned the engine inspecting the Finger Follower surface and all parts of the cam.This was for peace of mind even though I have a allocation for a .2 down the road.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:43 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Great PIC and Post many Thanks for sharing your homework and peace report !!!
Old 03-04-2018, 01:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mlkissel1
had the G engine out of my mid 2015 GT3 for non engine related issues. Had the valve covers removed for inspection of the finger followers and cams. I am not a track rat, 6 track days, probably 6 auto cross events. Car has just over 12,000 miles. I am happy to say that the top end looked perfect. We turned the engine inspecting the Finger Follower surface and all parts of the cam.This was for peace of mind even though I have a allocation for a .2 down the road.
That is great. Porsche said the issue did not impact all GT3’s and this is great proof of that. Maybe the best proof we have had to date. I think cars that have the problem tend to fail pretty quickly. Mine has 24.5k’s and solid. I guess mine is not impacted. Doesn’t look like yours is, either.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, I knew it was just a matter of time, and it finally happened a couple of weekends ago at a COTA Schnellfest.

On June 2nd, a few laps in the second session, I had just cleared some slower traffic and was looking forward to some space, and I got the control fault on a 4-5 shift on the front straight. No particular drama with the car, it just went into limp mode. I slowly made may way back to the garage, shut her down for 30 seconds, and started it up again to see if it cleared. It did. Texted my service guy, described what had happened, and he agreed it was probably the FFs. Recommended going back out and short shifting. Did that for 3rd session, shifting at 8k, and had no issues. Likewise for session 4.

BGB Motorsports had a trailer at the track that weekend, and they hooked up their PWIS laptop, which stated that cyl 4 was misfiring.

Sunday morning, after triggering in the 1st session, the dash message would not clear after shutting down, so I called it a weekend. BGB checked it again, and still only the cyl 4 error, so I drove it home. Apparently there was another fella there with a 2014 who experienced the same issue on cyls 4-6.

It was with great trepidation that I dropped it off Monday AM at PNH, expecting a 2-3 week wait before I got the car back. My service guy told me that they would need to switch out a plug/coil pack between cylinders, and report back to the mothership before they would be granted the ok to open it up, take some measurements and pics, and THEN get a final determination. That took MUCH less time than anyone expected, and by Friday afternoon they had already received a new engine, and had it mated up to the tranny. This past Monday it was burning gas, and I picked it up on Wednesday...a day after it was ready.

In the final analysis, I had finger follower scoring on that entire bank of cylinders (4-6) even though only 4 was throwing the code. A little over 16K on the odo, about 3500 of it track. My last Blackstone Lab report noted higher than expected aluminum levels, and I look forward to see what they have to say about the sample I am about to send them.

No small amount of kudos go out to the service guy, who held my hand throughout the process. I was very informed of what was going on each step of the way. He was, and is, fantastic .

So now I have to go through the whole break in process over again. I think once I hit the mileage, I am going to switch to 5w40, maybe 50.

THANK GOD FOR THE WARRANTY.

Not my wheel, btw

Old 06-16-2018, 06:22 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sean your car a 15 that had F motor?
great report Thxs for sharing
still w orginal F motor for me

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?