Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:42 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mass_K
Sent a 2016 to the dealer two weeks ago after I noticed something internally wrong with the engine in the high RPM's. Was told a cylinder had issues that they needed to determine. It was not misfiring and I new it was mechanical before it was sent to the dealer. They determined it wasn't an easy fix and a new engine is on its way to the dealer!!! This is very very exciting new for me! I'm very happy to get a fresh new engine in the car, now the next thing i need is a new clutch and I'm golden
This might need more clarification. What did you feel was mechanically wrong at high RPM? Maybe elaborate on your specific problems. Also, what was the process with the dealer inspection and their final determination of the cylinder damage that requires a new engine.Specifically, the part of not being an "easy fix". This could be very helpful.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:42 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 08-15-2017, 09:38 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Open your deck lid - look for the white label - it will indicate MA XXXX. Unless your engine has been switched out, this should tell what is in the car.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Mass_K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
This might need more clarification. What did you feel was mechanically wrong at high RPM? Maybe elaborate on your specific problems. Also, what was the process with the dealer inspection and their final determination of the cylinder damage that requires a new engine.Specifically, the part of not being an "easy fix". This could be very helpful.
While doing a second gear pull the engine would mechanically stop at 8,100 rpm give or take a 100... and i would immediately let off to avoid doing any damage. Essentially the first time it happened the car actually decelerated at 8000rpm even with WOT, and i could feel the deceleration and aggressive jerk, knowing it wasn't a electronic cut of ignition or fuel. It just felt like the inside of the engine wanted to stop spinning and it immediately sent a check engine light.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

While doing a second gear pull the engine would mechanically stop at 8,100 rpm give or take a 100... and i would immediately let off to avoid doing any damage. Essentially the first time it happened the car actually decelerated at 8000rpm even with WOT, and i could feel the deceleration and aggressive jerk, knowing it wasn't a electronic cut of ignition or fuel. It just felt like the inside of the engine wanted to stop spinning and it immediately sent a check engine light.
A new shiny 3.8L is most certainly headed your way.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
I'm a bit sceptical regarding to RS and R. The parts catalogue says the topend is exactly the same. So this engines should also be prone to the problem.

With later G (G1/G6 however...) they introduced the DLC coated camshafts. Maybe thats the solution - but not all the RS have these camshafts installed.
I was part of the COG meeting with Rob. As a non-engineer its extremely difficult to process all of the variables involved in an issue like this. However, what became very obvious is that Porsche's measurement for success is based on rigorous and precise testing. When Dr. Walliser shared the fact that his team tested the new finger followers and cams for 2x their target and images showed no visible signs of wear, it put things into perspective very quickly. Applying this logic, its hard to refute the fact that the same testing cleared the RS and R, assuming all major variants were tested. Could the issue arise? Sure! However, there is no evidence that it exists today. And, as Rob has stated, there is no reason to believe Porsche would not stand behind the RS and R as they have the GT3. This is just my viewpoint, but I own an RS and my mind is at ease!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:44 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

This will sound obvious, I've always understood that most engine failures will occur at high RPM and a constant heavy load, a track situation. I am very interested to find out if any cars that have never been tracked had the same failure and if this occurred at relatively low RPM and normal driving conditions. Two track days so far with G0 engine, and nothing unusual except for 1/2 quart of oil after.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
This will sound obvious, I've always understood that most engine failures will occur at high RPM and a constant heavy load, a track situation. I am very interested to find out if any cars that have never been tracked had the same failure and if this occurred at relatively low RPM and normal driving conditions. Two track days so far with G0 engine, and nothing unusual except for 1/2 quart of oil after.
I believe there are cases of misfires on cars that had not seen any track time.

And if I recall correctly, at one point in time (Pebble Beach?) AP or another VIP at Porsche mentioned that the problem may be EXACERBATED by low rpm driving.

Regardless, we have examples of low/no track miles in the group, but we also have examples of cars with high track mileage that have had no problems at all.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:13 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas
I believe there are cases of misfires on cars that had not seen any track time.

And if I recall correctly, at one point in time (Pebble Beach?) AP or another VIP at Porsche mentioned that the problem may be EXACERBATED by low rpm driving.

Regardless, we have examples of low/no track miles in the group, but we also have examples of cars with high track mileage that have had no problems at all.
My understanding was it is the low rpm, around town driving (along with having the inclusions from the casting) that create the failure. Rob or someone from the meeting can confirm for sure, but that is how I interpreted it.

On another note, I am waiting to hear back from the dealership. I did get a 3,200 mile 991.2 Carrera as a loaner. Nice car, but it establishes even more how much I love the GT3.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:23 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

You are correct on the causes. These are what Walliser pointed out in his presentation.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
My understanding was it is the low rpm, around town driving (along with having the inclusions from the casting) that create the failure. Rob or someone from the meeting can confirm for sure, but that is how I interpreted it.

On another note, I am waiting to hear back from the dealership. I did get a 3,200 mile 991.2 Carrera as a loaner. Nice car, but it establishes even more how much I love the GT3.
Its not just low RPM driving. Its driving patterns that include low RPMs followed by high RPMs, cold starts, lots of starts/stops, etc. The inclusions and other variables factor into the equation as well.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Its not just low RPM driving. Its driving patterns that include low RPMs followed by high RPMs, cold starts, lots of starts/stops, etc. The inclusions and other variables factor into the equation as well.
So basically there is no specific pattern of driving that causes the engine failure.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
So basically there is no specific pattern of driving that causes the engine failure.
If the inclusions are present near the surface of the finger follower, a lot of secondary factors can cause increased wear, such as what Dave was describing.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I know it will be almost impossible to stop this train, but might we possibly stop using the term 'failure?'

AFAIK, nobody's engine has grenaded over this issue. It develops a timing problem that the ECU recognizes is out of spec, but not catastrophically so.

Or did I REALLY miss a couple of major pages in the thread?

Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas
I know it will be almost impossible to stop this train, but might we possibly stop using the term 'failure?'

AFAIK, nobody's engine has grenaded over this issue. It develops a timing problem that the ECU recognizes is out of spec, but not catastrophically so.

Or did I REALLY miss a couple of major pages in the thread?

I believe the reason the word " failure" is being used :

1) Premature wear of component original life cycle (failure)
2) Debris material of the components premature wear, circulating the engine which can cause further damage.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?