Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

10th digit of the vin.
The following users liked this post:
ashworth1 (03-29-2023)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:46 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
How can you tell if you have an E, F, or G engine?

Mine has been fine for almost 8000 miles, whatever it is.
+1.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:50 AM
MBDark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 14 is currently in the shop for the second time in as many weeks, each time I get a CEL and limp mode at the end of 3rd gear up near the top end. Last time they put in a new coil on cyl 5 that was throwing the code, I got it back and the same thing happens again. Hoping it's just the coils and not this rocker issue. I already had the first year engine replacement... I don't want another. Car has 30,000 miles on it.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MBDark
My 14 is currently in the shop for the second time in as many weeks, each time I get a CEL and limp mode at the end of 3rd gear up near the top end. Last time they put in a new coil on cyl 5 that was throwing the code, I got it back and the same thing happens again. Hoping it's just the coils and not this rocker issue. I already had the first year engine replacement... I don't want another. Car has 30,000 miles on it.
That's good mileage! Not a regular track guy? Symptoms are rocker finger/cam Lobe scoring. They will need to drop engine and take valve covers off to inspect. Good news is likely replacement with G series engine....
Old 02-14-2016, 03:40 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

What s the max rpm of the MY 16 G engine
when car is stop i.e.
in a garage
PDK in N
and wot?
Old 02-14-2016, 10:07 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe 5K - 6K
Old 02-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 7800 miles, and build date was 10-2014 but it's a 15 model year. No issues to report. Maybe around 400 miles of track time.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:29 AM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 108 Posts

F engine here. 6k miles and no issues to report.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it just a speculation or confirmed information regarding upgrades of particular engine series? What series are being produced now?

How can I find out that my engine needs an upgrade? There is some info around about oil pressure increase, ECU flash, coils replacement, rocker arms and maybe more.

Why one engine series would need oil pressure increase and other not? Same goes with ECU flash.

I have February 2015 build (F series) and heard nothing from my dealer.
Interestingly a lot of failures happen in the US. Maybe that's because of higher number of GT3 sold in the US (if I am not mistaken), worse quality of fuel or just more people taking active part in this forum...

Old 02-15-2016, 11:14 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Is it just a speculation or confirmed information regarding upgrades of particular engine series? What series are being produced now?

How can I find out that my engine needs an upgrade? There is some info around about oil pressure increase, ECU flash, coils replacement, rocker arms and maybe more.

Why one engine series would need oil pressure increase and other not? Same goes with ECU flash.

Interestingly a lot of failures happen in the US. Maybe that's because of higher number of GT3 sold in the US (if I am not mistaken), worse quality of fuel or just more people taking active part in this forum...

Nothing can be done unless Porsche has advised it's dealers to perform the bulletins per your car's VIN. Even now, I am betting the "engine swap" will not be happening anymore. I think Porsche does that to learn from those motors with early issues, then designs the necessary changes. If issues begin to creep into the F series engines, for those tracking their cars heavily, then I would bet Porsche will just do a "top-end" fix for these cars.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix

I've been told by a very knowledgeable source that an ECU re-flash is not a good idea for my E series engine.

First, a marginal increase in oil pressure as the result of a re-flash won't have any meaningful effect on whether valve lever/cam damage occurs. Second, in the event of a problem Porsche will ask for a readout of the ECU. Depending on circumstances, if the software has been changed to a non-approved version for my engine it's possible that any warranty claim will be prejudiced or at least made more complicated. My service manager offered similar views on the warranty implications, independent of my source, and it's definitely in my best interest to keep my dealership on my side if anything happens.

FWIW, I'm not going to do the re-flash and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-15-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:23 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I've seen the bulletin on the top end repair. PAG wants the rockers removed, inspected and photographed. They'll make the decision on a new top end or engine swap.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

1st hand info: a C15 (HKG) build RS of the G series had its engine replaced after its first outing at the track.

Still trying to get to the bottom of the failure, but it wasn't catastrophic like the E-series GT3 motors. We initially only suspected a failed fuel pump when the problem surfaced trackside. It became a quick warranty replacement soon thereafter.

Something *is* up--the rapid replacement by PAG tells us they know something. May not be the engine, but they must've seen this before to authorize a replacement engine for that customer, pronto.
The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (03-26-2023)
Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
1st hand info: a C15 (HKG) build RS of the G series had its engine replaced after its first outing at the track.

Still trying to get to the bottom of the failure, but it wasn't catastrophic like the E-series GT3 motors. We initially only suspected a failed fuel pump when the problem surfaced trackside. It became a quick warranty replacement soon thereafter.

Something *is* up--the rapid replacement by PAG tells us they know something. May not be the engine, but they must've seen this before to authorize a replacement engine for that customer, pronto.

As you learn more please let us know, I was under the impression the 2016 GT3RS had the bugs worked out, looks like that's not completely the case, but 1 doesn't make a trend either...
Old 02-16-2016, 04:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex

Hi CREX. Is this your own car? If so Im sorry. I have anecdotal data only on a few RS engine failures at the track in Europe. However these are not first hand and thus I know nothing of the reason why and it may well be unrelated (one was due to a fire so definitely unrelated). I have not therefore included these as data points....

Just as a point to note the E series engine issues are not "catastrophic". By that I mean it would be a relatively simple procedure to get the engine running again (replacing the rocker levers and cams on the affected bank). Its not like a journal bearing failing on the crankshaft or anything...

I would be very interested if you could update us on the reason for failure when its known. Or feel free to PM me as Im keeping a log of this. The engine would have thrown a code and the tech would have had a procedure to follow. With the "cylinder misfire" code there is a strict protocol the tech must follow before PAG will respond with a replacement engine. Regardless of whether that engine has 900 miles on it or 9000 miles. This makes me think that the issue with the RS you mention was either more catastrophic (we have had a G series engine reported on here with pictures of a rod through the case for example!) or so such a nature that only a visual inspection was necessary to deem it unsalvageable by local warranty repair.

It is my belief that PAG will end up swapping all E series engines with replacements. I say this because I believe something has come to light since the E & F engines were built that points towards a more complex issue than simply defective DLC coating on the rockers. By this I mean the oiling system itself as evidenced by the changes in the G and RS engines. Im fairly certain the learning has been on going right until November last year, much of the last (final?) lessons learnt with the 991 GT3 R race engine in development.

Lastly, its with regret to inform my track buddy over hear with same road and track mileage as myself succumbed to the same failure last weekend. When I told him what had happened to me he was skeptical, when it happened to him at almost identical mileage he was incredulous. A new G series engine is currently being air-freighted from Germany for him. It was again RHS bank. Our E series engines were replaced same time same place after stop sale. He did not have the software update but had just completed 2 years service with plugs....

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?