Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike,

I have heard of 2 occasions now where Porsche have refused a replacement engine. Both were F series. I have 3 X F series on the database out of 19 examples.

The factory are definitely keeping crate engines in a warehouse to send out. Nothing more obvious than the words "replacement engine" on the side of my crate and the other one that arrived for Richard on Thursday.

From time to time however they may well run short on units especially as time goes on. I can imagine the E failure rate will be significant come European summer and track season. They don't need any more of these engine for analysis, they first ones failed in September 2014 and by mid 2015 they knew where the issues lay. I think it's just taken by them longer than expected to actually address the cause.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Macca!!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Based on the fact they want to see the top end disassembled with photos and comments prior to a decision I would agree they want to limit the number of replacement engines. And this type of activity may well fall into the old 'penny wise pound foolish' scenario.

Using the customer's engine plus 14 litres of oil and 2 oil filters to 'hopefully' flush the engine is a bit much.

I looked on the Ohio license plate site and It looks like 'BETA GT3' is available. :-)
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I have no more skin in this game but I stuck by Porsche while my car sat at the port for 5 months despite their inability to effectively communicate.

It is obvious they have learned nothing since then. There obviously is a problem and they should advise what it is and their intentions to rectify it or extend an engine warranty by another 5 years. I guess this whole VW debacle has not taught any one over there a thing- yes - no skin in the game but after investing my time I feel justified in speaking my mind.

I will no longer comment on this topic because it is unfair to fellow Owners.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:10 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Well Stated Jimmy.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:16 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just noticed from Macca's sticker that replacement GT3 engine in German is "ersatz motor"...

Old 02-26-2016, 10:23 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

^ Man you really wanna make a fellow RLer feel bad
Old 02-27-2016, 08:37 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I have no more skin in this game but I stuck by Porsche while my car sat at the port for 5 months despite their inability to effectively communicate.

It is obvious they have learned nothing since then. There obviously is a problem and they should advise what it is and their intentions to rectify it or extend an engine warranty by another 5 years. I guess this whole VW debacle has not taught any one over there a thing- yes - no skin in the game but after investing my time I feel justified in speaking my mind.

I will no longer comment on this topic because it is unfair to fellow Owners.
It's funny you say that because I said the same thing to the guy at PCNA. If you really think this will fix the problem you should extend the warranty for free. I told them I've now had my car at the dealership for over 3 weeks and they haven't even started the top end work so I'm at least another week or so from completion. If I have to go through something again like this again it would really suck so they better get it right the first time.
Also the fact that they are just replacing parts, maybe costs them 10k over putting in a new motor that should easily cover extending the warranty. I don't know how long I'd keep the car after completion anyways, but at least it would be worth a little more with a longer warranty and make the new buyer feel more comfortable....
The following users liked this post:
rocket930 (07-09-2021)
Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 PM
carz80am
Pro

Just wanted to give an update as I think people want to know. They got all the parts in last week to do the repairs and as they were putting everything back together they noticed scaring on cylinder #4 and #6. Misfiring was happening in cylinder 5 I think. So, they sent Porsche more photos and are waiting...looks like I will be getting a new motor after a month of being at the dealer
The following users liked this post:
cavlino (01-15-2024)
Old 03-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
Just wanted to give an update as I think people want to know. They got all the parts in last week to do the repairs and as they were putting everything back together they noticed scaring on cylinder #4 and #6. Misfiring was happening in cylinder 5 I think. So, they sent Porsche more photos and are waiting...looks like I will be getting a new motor after a month of being at the dealer
That's something they should have seen/been looking for before they sent the info to Porsche the first time around. Hope it all works out....
Old 03-07-2016, 11:01 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would not give me a fuzzy feeling at all. There should be no excuse not noticing the scaring on cylinder 4 and 6. Hopefully everything gets sorted out the way it should. Hang in.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Porsche will get it right. Getting a new motor will be awesome. I just hope mine gives out a month before the warranty is up lol. I kid I kid!

I meant a week.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:25 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

That's something they should have seen/been looking for before they sent the info to Porsche the first time around. Hope it all works out....
I agree. If you see an unacceptable wear pattern on the cams and followers it should be obvious that there will be one of two outcomes. 1. A new engine or 2. A new set of heads. Why not at a minimum put a bore scope in each cylinder? You have metal parts with accelerated wear. Where might they think the metal is going in the engine?
Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 AM
carz80am
Pro

Yeah, I wish they would have caught it the first time around. Already been at dealer for a month, wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being 2 months by the time I get it back...
Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Yeah, I wish they would have caught it the first time around. Already been at dealer for a month, wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being 2 months by the time I get it back...
when E series recalled the Customers were given 2/4S in the meanwhile and or other things

no cmpensation this time?

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?