Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:05 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It probably makes sense to have 2 trackable cars. I now think if I'll get .2 allocation, I'll still keep my .1. Then, if one car is in repairs there's a chance second one is fine at a time.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:12 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I was at my dealer during the week getting some work done on my car. In the workshop was another GT3 which was about to have its third engine installed. The first two were "G" series but this latest one was tagged "EX" which the head technician told me was a refurbished "E" series.

They had the G series engine out and showed me the scoring on the rocker arms which was the cause of the problem. Must admit that I was somewhat amazed at how such fine scoring marks could cause such a big problem.

11,000 km in, and my GT3 "F" engine is showing no problems so I asked the technician why three engines for that GT3 and none for mine. His considered response was "driving style" I.e. Not respecting the warm up cycle of the engine. To date, all the problems they had seen were from drivers who had the habit of giving the engine the full beans before it had warmed up properly (inference - when cold) and that this caused scoring on the rocker arms due to the difference in the hardness of the materials used for the cam shaft vs the rocker arms. At least, this is what he told me.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 AM
levd
Pro

Sounds like polite lie.

I never tried to rev my engine high wiht blue light, but I think it's porbably even impossible to do this.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:52 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Macca

For the record I've owned:

993 C2S
993 C4S
996 GT3
997 GT3
991 GT3
Panamera

So I think I have a bit of Porsche experience....
Old 07-16-2016, 06:53 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
It probably makes sense to have 2 trackable cars. I now think if I'll get .2 allocation, I'll still keep my .1. Then, if one car is in repairs there's a chance second one is fine at a time.
+1

Fingers crossed for you. Hope you will have a great trackday.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Me as well. Thanks Macca!!!
+991

Great minds thinks alike
Old 07-16-2016, 07:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I was at my dealer during the week getting some work done on my car. In the workshop was another GT3 which was about to have its third engine installed. The first two were "G" series but this latest one was tagged "EX" which the head technician told me was a refurbished "E" series. They had the G series engine out and showed me the scoring on the rocker arms which was the cause of the problem. Must admit that I was somewhat amazed at how such fine scoring marks could cause such a big problem. 11,000 km in, and my GT3 "F" engine is showing no problems so I asked the technician why three engines for that GT3 and none for mine. His considered response was "driving style" I.e. Not respecting the warm up cycle of the engine. To date, all the problems they had seen were from drivers who had the habit of giving the engine the full beans before it had warmed up properly (inference - when cold) and that this caused scoring on the rocker arms due to the difference in the hardness of the materials used for the cam shaft vs the rocker arms. At least, this is what he told me.

Wow. Everything you say here is new to me!

Failed G engines X 2 due to scored cams, EX recurve bed engines, none of this I have heard about before. The G engine has been in production 9 months so to have killed two of them would take some doing and let me assure you from having alot of experience in talking with people with failed engines over the last 18 months I can say 100% that driving style has basically nothing to do with it.

Would like to learn more about the EX engine which would mean the factory are revising the original returned 750 odd recalled engines from 2014. Seems a bit unlikely but I guess anything is possible...
Old 07-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGSRULE
Macca For the record I've owned: 993 C2S 993 C4S 996 996 GT3 997 GT3 991 GT3 Panamera So I think I have a bit of Porsche experience....
Sure. Similar here. And you've never had any issues with any of these cars?
Old 07-16-2016, 09:44 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
Sounds like polite lie.

I never tried to rev my engine high wiht blue light, but I think it's porbably even impossible to do this.
I always wait until mine hits about 180 degrees, because that is the temp the engine normally runs at. Until it hits that range, no love shown to the right pedal.

Got that watching one of Matt's videos.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:35 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't get it. People here are bitching and moaning about how bad Porsche materials and craftsmanship is.
Why the F do you still own one? If you don't like them or have so much to b1tch about, leave. Find another car maker and enjoy.
I don't get some of the moaning here. No one is putting a gun to anyone's head to buy a Porsche.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:10 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I was at my dealer during the week getting some work done on my car. In the workshop was another GT3 which was about to have its third engine installed. The first two were "G" series but this latest one was tagged "EX" which the head technician told me was a refurbished "E" series. They had the G series engine out and showed me the scoring on the rocker arms which was the cause of the problem. Must admit that I was somewhat amazed at how such fine scoring marks could cause such a big problem. 11,000 km in, and my GT3 "F" engine is showing no problems so I asked the technician why three engines for that GT3 and none for mine. His considered response was "driving style" I.e. Not respecting the warm up cycle of the engine. To date, all the problems they had seen were from drivers who had the habit of giving the engine the full beans before it had warmed up properly (inference - when cold) and that this caused scoring on the rocker arms due to the difference in the hardness of the materials used for the cam shaft vs the rocker arms. At least, this is what he told me.
Are you certain that the latest engine named G series failed? I think that would be a very interesting thing to know,because it's supposedly the latest revised GT3 engine and no failures have been reported. At least not on this forum...

I highly doubt most people that buy these cars don't know that the engine needs to be brought to operating temperature before getting on it. This is common sense and it's valid for all cars,not just the GT3.

Last point : I continue to suspect accelerated wear on cold start up that manifests at higher RPM...
Old 07-16-2016, 11:32 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Respected the 2,000 mile break-in period (despite all the laughs), and religiously warmed up motor to a minimum 185 each time.

Now part of the "G" club.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Are you certain that the latest engine named G series failed? I think that would be a very interesting thing to know,because it's supposedly the latest revised GT3 engine and no failures have been reported. At least not on this forum...

I highly doubt most people that buy these cars don't know that the engine needs to be brought to operating temperature before getting on it. This is common sense and it's valid for all cars,not just the GT3.

Last point : I continue to suspect accelerated wear on cold start up that manifests at higher RPM...
Interesting.
Not sure why Porsche did not devise a system similar to BMW with their SMG cars. When cold, it would only rev up to 4-4.5k until the engine reached proper operating temps. I would think it would be easy to achieve, Check for coolant/oil temps and reduce redline to 1/2 until proper temps are reached. BMW was doing this back in 2002 on their E46 M3's.
This is a good safeguard for individuals like the one your tech mentioned.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

The 991.1 GT3/RS is a low volume engine. At present there are 3 variations of the 3 and 1 of the RS. With the low production numbers any discrepancy from a parts producer ends up as high, by today's standards, ppm failure rate.

Porsche pushed the envelope with this engine and they will warranty it on track. If the engine has issues they have been replacing/fixing the engines. I have not heard of anyone being denied a claim.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:14 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

If the "EX" engine is in fact, one of the original stop sale motors refurbished, then PCNA, may have given us incorrect information at the experience center in May 2015.

They told all of us GT3 owners that those motors were all scrapped and not slated for re-use.

I thought that was odd at the time.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?