Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:52 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely need to ruffle some feathers. Send off emails, especially to your region Porsche office (equivalent to our PCNA office). Kick a$$, don't take no for an answer. Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:11 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

This is why we have a Lemon Law in this country.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:13 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You know, full disclosure from Porsche on what is going on with the motors and what running changes were or were not done before the completely revised G motors would be nice. There is enough documentation in this thread alone were Porsche cannot deny there are issues so please just give us the facts and end the speculation......
Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

That is why I sold mine 5-6 months ago. It was a 2014. I do not care how fast the car was but I eventually the engine would need to be rebuilt or replaced. Although we will know in 6 months even if these rebuilds work. Plus- I do not trust Porsche nor any other car Company to honor things out of warranty. In the end, I wish I never took Ownership after car sat 5 months at the Port for the first engine swap. But- it is what it is and I got out actually ahead. I do commend those willing to stick this out because it takes a lot of mental fortitude.

I hope all works out for every one but Porsche is hiding some thing and just playing the number's game.replacing all these engines would be the right thing but they are avoiding this media disaster
Old 07-14-2016, 12:11 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
My car started misfiring 10th of May, and been in dealership ever since, except for 1 day when they swapped the coils and asked me to test car on track, following the PAG protocol. It only took 2 laps to get misfire again. Then PAG decided engine will be rebuilt, not replaced. I'm waiting ever since, "enjoying" loaner Macans and Panameras that I'm not allowed to track.

So it's already more than 2 months.

Hopefully I will get my car tomorrow, at least that's what they are promising. Having a track day at Sunday, hoping car will behave well.

I still have 2 more issues unresolved:

1. Paint is heavily falling from the lower side of a car. I have a several 1 euro coin size spots of fallen paint. White over back car. Looks ugly.
2. PDK is working strange in city traffic. When I drive slow, and trying to accelerate smooth, I see RPM's going up and also hear the sound, but there's no acceleration. Then car jumps forward, as something was holding it before, then released. It's even worse with elevation (loading car on trailer is tricky. You try to go up, car stays still. RPM's go up to 3-4000, then car jumps forward. Bloody scary.) PDK was recalibrated at the dealer's in May, but nothing changed.

I can say, I'm more than unhappy Porsche customer. Any advices on how I can probably get some compensation from PAG will be much appreciated.

Car has warranty and I bought it second hand from Porsche Berlin dealership, then brought it to my country. First owner of this car was PAG itself. I'm the second owner.
I might have missed it but what year is your car? Sorry to hear about your issues.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:17 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MY 2014, first registration November 2013
Old 07-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Levd. There is no doubt you have had a rough time of it recently with your GT3. A shame as you seem to have been enjoying it up until May on the track...

The paint issue is an unusual one. It's the first time I've heard of this. I have slot of stone rash on the lower sills and a few chips on the upper rear fenders of my early build white car, most of it from our very dirty roads and tracks but it's not out of synch with what I would expect from the use it's had. My wheels however are badly chipped in the spike recesses again from all the loose stone on our road that spins inside the barrel of the wheel until it is thrown out at which time it chips paint off the leading edge of the spokes. Already had them re painted once, not in a hurry to have it done again as it will return so will leave till next year...

With regard your second issue this has been reported by two other owners one who posted in the last week or two if you search and the other was Allan who's avatar is a Mexico blue 991 GT3. So it's a known issue and if I recall has something to do with a switch or sensor, maybe throttle related. It appears as a gearbox issue but apparently is not. Their symptoms are identical to yours so if you check with them what the fox is in sure you can get the tech to remedy this one ASAP. Once you have that sorted and with the newly rebuilt engine out on track I'm sure by the end of summer things will seem much more positive again, although I agree it's disappointing...

Jimmy - you mention regularly on this board how you sold your GT3 and you are glad you avoided any Maladys. To be honest with a 2015 car used only on the street I doubt this would have been an issue for you. I've noticed some people get a bit paranoid with these things and need to move on, and that's fine too. However most of us that have had issues with the engine (I think I have 25 examples from RL since I've been tracking this last 18 months), simply have the remedy addressed pocket the compensation and move on. Most of us are barely inconvenienced although I will be the first to admit it's a bit disconcerting PAG had such issues at all in the first instance. Once you are on the track the car is really that good these feelings evaporate. This is a car that can be driven long distances in the road to a track, lap all day at the front of the field and driven home straight out of the box without geo changes or upgrades. The tyres even last ok with stock settings. But most importantly for myself and many others, this is a 911 and a GT3. Porsche will stand behind these early engine faults long after warranted if that I'm certain. It's a new age, this is all documented on RL and social media and the GT3 is the core of brand value for PAG who are turning the latest cars into higher volume "cash cows" now. Just IMO of course. Each to their own naturally....
Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Levd. There is no doubt you have had a rough time of it recently with your GT3. A shame as you seem to have been enjoying it up until May on the track...

The paint issue is an unusual one. It's the first time I've heard of this. I have slot of stone rash on the lower sills and a few chips on the upper rear fenders of my early build white car, most of it from our very dirty roads and tracks but it's not out of synch with what I would expect from the use it's had. My wheels however are badly chipped in the spike recesses again from all the loose stone on our road that spins inside the barrel of the wheel until it is thrown out at which time it chips paint off the leading edge of the spokes. Already had them re painted once, not in a hurry to have it done again as it will return so will leave till next year...

With regard your second issue this has been reported by two other owners one who posted in the last week or two if you search and the other was Allan who's avatar is a Mexico blue 991 GT3. So it's a known issue and if I recall has something to do with a switch or sensor, maybe throttle related. It appears as a gearbox issue but apparently is not. Their symptoms are identical to yours so if you check with them what the fox is in sure you can get the tech to remedy this one ASAP. Once you have that sorted and with the newly rebuilt engine out on track I'm sure by the end of summer things will seem much more positive again, although I agree it's disappointing...

Jimmy - you mention regularly on this board how you sold your GT3 and you are glad you avoided any Maladys. To be honest with a 2015 car used only on the street I doubt this would have been an issue for you. I've noticed some people get a bit paranoid with these things and need to move on, and that's fine too. However most of us that have had issues with the engine (I think I have 25 examples from RL since I've been tracking this last 18 months), simply have the remedy addressed pocket the compensation and move on. Most of us are barely inconvenienced although I will be the first to admit it's a bit disconcerting PAG had such issues at all in the first instance. Once you are on the track the car is really that good these feelings evaporate. This is a car that can be driven long distances in the road to a track, lap all day at the front of the field and driven home straight out of the box without geo changes or upgrades. The tyres even last ok with stock settings. But most importantly for myself and many others, this is a 911 and a GT3. Porsche will stand behind these early engine faults long after warranted if that I'm certain. It's a new age, this is all documented on RL and social media and the GT3 is the core of brand value for PAG who are turning the latest cars into higher volume "cash cows" now. Just IMO of course. Each to their own naturally....
+1
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is interesting is that PAG should be more open to their loyal customers, who are just using their GT cars as AP wanted us to, and designed them to be used. The lack of communication tends to be a problem, and almost always results in one side being upset with the other. Just like in any relationship.

Jimmy-- I do get a kick out of your lurking. You moved on to your GT4. Didn't lose money on your GT3. Was paid compensation early on. Didn't track the car. Didn't have multiple E engine failures. You must not have been too upset with PAG, or the basic 9a1 engine design. And why do all the GT4 guys wish they had the GT3 motor dropped into the GT4? !?!?!?weird request!?!?!? Anyway....enjoy your GT4, a perfect street enthusiast car, plenty capable on the track. Let's hope it doesn't have any issues either.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:52 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

+1000
Old 07-15-2016, 02:25 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche will stand behind these early engine faults long after warranted if that I'm certain. It's a new age, this is all documented on RL and social media and the GT3 is the core of brand value for PAG who are turning the latest cars into higher volume "cash cows" now. Just IMO of course. Each to their own naturally....
As I am an original owner of a 2014 GT3, I would like to think you are spot on, however, I would hate to be stuck facing the cost of an engine rebuild or new engine outside of warranty. Will Porsche see fit to do the right thing? Perhaps, but for how long? Barring some written assurance from Porsche, the prudent thing would be to exit this car before the warranty expires. If they want to cover this on an as needed basis vs. some recall measure, they could simply extend the warranty on the engine to 10 years. Their election to not do so, is therefore concerning.

Like you, I will not be an early adopter next go round.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:36 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
What is interesting is that PAG should be more open to their loyal customers, who are just using their GT cars as AP wanted us to, and designed them to be used. The lack of communication tends to be a problem, and almost always results in one side being upset with the other. Just like in any relationship.
How is Porsche not being "open"?

And from what you say, do you mean to suggest that Porsche should not be more open to unloyal customers?

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-15-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:40 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

They're getting fixed right? And probably throwing in some comp if the car is out for more than a month. They're doing a good job of it IMO. Not much else they can do except maybe throw in an extended warranty. Even mezgers wore out eventually, just like any track car motor will.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:41 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

for those of us who havent had a motor replaced or repaired, is there any way to ensure we can get this to occur? I'd feel safer knowing that I at least have the updated parts.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
for those of us who havent had a motor replaced or repaired, is there any way to ensure we can get this to occur? I'd feel safer knowing that I at least have the updated parts.
Yes. I felt the same way. Drive the heck out of it (particularly on the track). It took 9 track days and 6000 fast road miles for my 2014 E to expire and I aware of a number of others that have failed within 9-15 hard track days and some street miles. By comparison my G has been in 5 months and done 80% of that already without a single issue. To be frank I would not expect any work should be needed on this engine for another 40-50 track days and 20k fast road miles (I.e. It should be a 80-100 track hour engine in pump gas), before I believe it would be reasonable that for that use age I may need to open the top end and look at replacing rockers and springs.

My 993 track car has been good for this usage and us yet to need too end work though I concede it runs only to 7000 rpm redline from factory (6750 actually but I have the limiter lifted a little) which I'm pretty certain does make a reasonable difference to ultimate valve train longevity. The older engines were designed with a considerable amount of "headroom" to account for the fact they could not be metered as effectively but these DFI units seem to have much lower headroom with the view that individual cylinder monitoring for VE, fuelling and timing means they can work more efficiently with the variable parameters thrown at them in real time. I'm not an engineer but I have spoken now to many on this specific issue - my word is not gospel but my theory is sound I believe.

The design flaw I believe was fundamentally two fold. The finger rockers were an immature technology for PAG on this engine both in terms of metallurgy and the coating (DLC) and the oiling facilities in the original head design were not adequate to prevent mid rev engine range lubrication. The former issue was dealt with on the F engines and those that are owned by track junkies using them exclusively as track cars like OrthOJoe and Manifold, Rm21 and others in Europe have run generous hard track miles reliably at this point. However it was not until fortifying the MA176 (RS) unit for delivery that design changes were made in the head design to incorporate additional spray oil bar and with an upgraded electronic oil pump (essentially the same unit in the GT3 but designed for more robust high duty cycles as an additional precaution) and the corresponding ECU software update to run higher mid range oil pressure that the issue was finally deemed to be resolved (and that is of course in proven today until these cars have done more mileage). These changes were carried forward for the G series MA175 GT3 units 2016MY. It is also possible 2015MY cars had revised ECU software to address mid range oil pressure (I do not have conclusive evidence on this although I believe it could be the case) which has aided their longevity.

One world class race engineer I had the pleasure to meet recent,y in the USA, claimed a similar issue occurred in all the 962 factory race engines until the incorporation of an addition oil spray bar. He worked on these engines exclusively for Porsche during campaigning in the 90s.

Porsche may not have picked up this issue initially as bench running these engines after the 2014 rod bolt recall was likely focussed around maximum rpm durability and rod/bolt integrity not a combination of many miles of 2-4000 rpm engine "lugging" that becomes more apparent in real world customer cars. Lastly from an engineering stand point there is a possibility crank case ventilation may be in part a contributing factor in this new dry sump engine. We all know how sensitive these engines are to a precise oil fill and I wonder if PAG had some challenges in this area that could have exacerbated the overall shortcomings in lubricating the valve train. Whatever the causes am told by a reliable source that since last Nov/Dec all these issues have been relegated to the past with the new DFI race engine which the engineers apparently continue to be confident in. Those engines debuted at Daytona and have now been run in three or four large international meets without significant issue....,

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?