Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
Oops forgot

Or go w 2014 w replaced engine

What would be the best route to pursue
If planning to drive a lot and/or track, I'd go for a '14, regardless of replaced or non-replaced engine (if it's E, it'll be replaced or repaired). '14s are cheaper and Porsche will not try to get out of getting them fixed if anything happens because the issue is known and confirmed.

If buying to collect, I'd pay extra for the '16.

The '15 is a bit more of a gamble - will they need repairs? when? what will Porsche do? Not as clear cut if they start breaking 3-5 years from now.

But ultimately, I think you will be ok with any of them. Just look for a good car and good price.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you that's helpful
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce987
Well my "G" engine arrived last Tuesday as expected. The mechanic had the old out and the new one installed in under a day. He said the new motor came with everything attached including a new A/C unit. I let him take it home and put some mileage on and of course verify no leaks and nasty messages. Got her on Thursday and runs like nothing ever happened. Unfortunately I was told I need to put at least 600 miles on her before tracking. I have track this weekend and not enough time to get the mileage. I've attached photos of the new engine and the broken pieces the mechanic found in and around the engine.
Bruce thanks for the Intel!
Old 06-11-2016, 12:52 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Glad too here that it's back together again.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:49 PM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce987
Unfortunately I was told I need to put at least 600 miles on her before tracking.
PCNA advised my shop that the 2,000 mile motor break-in recommendation applies.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Hi Macca, can you provide a count of failed E, F and G engines to date based on the data you are tracking? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hi Macca, can you provide a count of failed E, F and G engines to date based on the data you are tracking? Thanks!
Hi Rob. Unfortunately I'm travelling in the USA next few weeks on vacation so operating mostly from iPhone. Currently we are looking at 17 E failures and 4 X F with zero G. That is from this board only. I expect E and F failures to increase incrementally this summer with increased track mileage and use....
Old 06-12-2016, 01:18 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Do we know when the engine changes were instituted with the 2015 F engines? My 2014 was manufactured 9/2014 at exactly the same time the first 2015s came off the line. In fact a few 2015 buyers got their cars before I got my 2014 E engine. I suspect the first couple months of 2015s do not differ in design from the 2014s or perhaps the last of the 2014s received the newer engine despite being E production. Historically these running changes don't always coincide exactly with the model switchover right?
Old 06-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Do we know when the engine changes were instituted with the 2015 F engines? My 2014 was manufactured 9/2014 at exactly the same time the first 2015s came off the line. In fact a few 2015 buyers got their cars before I got my 2014 E engine. I suspect the first couple months of 2015s do not differ in design from the 2014s or perhaps the last of the 2014s received the newer engine despite being E production. Historically these running changes don't always coincide exactly with the model switchover right?
The label on your trunk lid has your serial designation. There is no hard data on running changes between E & F. As changes to rocker coatings and metallurgy are fairly benign they could have been made at any time but unlikely before 2015 MY as first reports from customers from issue in E not reported till late 2014 in Europe due to "stop sale" from March to May/June 2014. In fact it could well be changes were not made till part way through 2015 MY as issue became more we'll known. Fact remains till lubrication was addressed 2015 MY G all E & F engines will eventually suffer similar fate when run on track. G engine running revisions were a give away due to a redesigned external oil filter and neck which then promoted us to look at PET and find updated oil pump and newly designed heads etc. for E to F these weren't obvious changes etc...
Old 06-12-2016, 03:00 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Rob. Unfortunately I'm travelling in the USA next few weeks on vacation so operating mostly from iPhone. Currently we are looking at 17 E failures and 4 X F with zero G. That is from this board only. I expect E and F failures to increase incrementally this summer with increased track mileage and use....
Thanks Macca. I hope you have a great US vacation!
Old 06-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thanks Macca. I hope you have a great US vacation!
Thanks Rob. We are having a wonderful time, the American people are treating us very well :-)

Last edited by Macca; 06-12-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Rob. We are having s wonderful time, the American people ate treating us very well :-)
Awesome. As we should be!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car started misfiring 10th of May, and been in dealership ever since, except for 1 day when they swapped the coils and asked me to test car on track, following the PAG protocol. It only took 2 laps to get misfire again. Then PAG decided engine will be rebuilt, not replaced. I'm waiting ever since, "enjoying" loaner Macans and Panameras that I'm not allowed to track.

So it's already more than 2 months.

Hopefully I will get my car tomorrow, at least that's what they are promising. Having a track day at Sunday, hoping car will behave well.

I still have 2 more issues unresolved:

1. Paint is heavily falling from the lower side of a car. I have a several 1 euro coin size spots of fallen paint. White over back car. Looks ugly.
2. PDK is working strange in city traffic. When I drive slow, and trying to accelerate smooth, I see RPM's going up and also hear the sound, but there's no acceleration. Then car jumps forward, as something was holding it before, then released. It's even worse with elevation (loading car on trailer is tricky. You try to go up, car stays still. RPM's go up to 3-4000, then car jumps forward. Bloody scary.) PDK was recalibrated at the dealer's in May, but nothing changed.

I can say, I'm more than unhappy Porsche customer. Any advices on how I can probably get some compensation from PAG will be much appreciated.

Car has warranty and I bought it second hand from Porsche Berlin dealership, then brought it to my country. First owner of this car was PAG itself. I'm the second owner.

Last edited by levd; 07-14-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

how do people think this is ok?

Porsche is pathetic.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by levd
My car started misfiring 10th of May, and been in dealership ever since, except for 1 day when they swapped the coils and asked me to test car on track, following the PAG protocol. It only took 2 laps to get misfire again. Then PAG decided engine will be rebuilt, not replaced. I'm waiting ever since, "enjoying" loaner Macans and Panameras that I'm not allowed to track.

So it's already more than 2 months.

Hopefully I will get my car tomorrow, at least that's what they are promising. Having a track day at Sunday, hoping car will behave well.

I still have 2 more issues unresolved:

1. Paint is heavily falling from the lower side of a car. I have a several 1 euro coin size spots of fallen paint. White over back car. Looks ugly.
2. PDK is working strange in city traffic. When I drive slow, and trying to accelerate smooth, I see PRM's going up and also hear the sound, but there's no acceleration. Then car jumps forward, as something was holding it before, then released. It's even worse with elevation (loading car on trailer is tricky. You try to go up, car stays still. RRM's go up to 3-4000, then car jumps forward. Bloody scary.) PDK was recalibrated at the dealer's in May, but nothing changed.

I can say, I'm more than unhappy Porsche customer. Any advices on how I can probably get some compensation from PAG will be much appreciated.

Car has warranty and I bought it second hand from Porsche Berlin dealership, then brought it to my country. First owner of this car was PAG itself. I'm the second owner.
Sorry to hear that. I would be upset if I had those issues, and that delay. I hope you get it all sorted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?