Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
it depends on what drive mode the Z06 is in, on the street it would be foolish to use the track modes and in Tour or Sport settings the car cuts power and applies brakes at the first sign of loss of traction. Yes if you are in S2 or Race mode under the Track menu, its all down to driver skill and you need to be a good driver to control all that power.
I agree with that but when you start cutting power ,you start adding time to your lap.
I also agree with the second comment about the driver, that's why I said with a skilled driver in both the ZO6 will smoke the GT3. Many see Grand Sports and ZO6's at the track ripping fast lap times, and they will, but most cars at the track have a different/better tire than stock which will help average driver in a ZO6 run fast. Most GT3's/RS's you see at the track have stock tires on them. Hence the stock vs stock with an average driver I was comparing.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Simpler and older things are always going to be more reliable than newer and more complex things. Thats how it always has been and always will be.

I'm sure even this second car will have its own issues.

i also agree that for the price you pay and performance you get out of these cars, they are hardly a "bargain". You are paying because of the GT3 icon, nothing else.

Have you seen the new ZR1? Gt3 cannot even compete with Z06, and now there is ZR1 which will probably outlap everything including cars that cost7 figures forget GT3 or 918.

Point being, Porsche better deliver on their cars because all they got going for themselves is "the experience" factor. if I were a 2015 owner who paid the ADMs and waited a year, I would be so upset right now. The previous poster is right, the amount of time you cannot enjoy the car (2-3 months total), loss of track time which you had previous paid, plus car payments and taxes, its just insane that you have to go through this. The engine replacement warranty is nice but its not like amazon prime refund where when you have an issue Porsche is waiting with open arms and key to a new GT3 and you just go on with your life.
Guys, why are we feeding the trolls. This is what this guy does and not just here. This is entertainment for him.
He has been called out before by others that have noticed similar behavior on other car forums. No point in wasting your time.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:00 PM
autoxerGT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

this has zero to do with this topic of engine replacements, back on track please
Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxerGT3RS
this has zero to do with this topic of engine replacements, back on track please
delete

Last edited by RobbieRob; 11-16-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:26 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello everybody - I'm the guy who was driving the Z07 with Rob. As background, I had just completed the break - in miles when we took our cars for a spin in the mountains. It was my very first time driving my car at speed, and I was not comfortable driving at elevated speeds in a car whose handling characteristics I was unfamiliar with. Could I have pushed it harder? Yes. Was I cautious, yes. Can a Z07 keep up with a GT3, of course! Rob, I believe it was last summer that a certain person driving a 991.1 with power kit ran away from another person in his 991.1 GT3. I wouldn't say that based on that outing which did occur on mountain roads that the S with power kit, is superior to the GT3 through the twisties. One thing is for certain, you are much more familiar with your car, than I am with mine, and that furthermore the reverse was true last summer. Hell, you may even be the better driver. As we discussed I am more than happy to let you drive my car, but it will be a big adjustment, especially with the cup 2 tires that absolutely require heat to perform. But just know that if I have to follow a friend the view of your GT3 with wide haunches and race-like wing is a pleasure.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:42 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

^ thanks for adding more ‘data points’ to the story.

Bish
Old 11-29-2017, 12:07 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My new (third!!!) engine arrived.

G603xx
Old 11-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anybody who has a third party exhaust on their car (cat less) had any trouble getting their engine replaced under warranty? My understanding is that anything that is a bolt on mod is not an issue.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 566 Posts

Just an update on my replacement engine. After about 1.5K miles and 2.5 track days, it's working well. Idle is more smooth than my previous two engines ever had (not sure why or if it's necessarily a positive) and surprisingly no drop in oil level at all. Regarding oil consumption - I have not seen consumption that low on any engine, so I'm worried about a broken sensor or something like that. Not moving a notch in 2.5 track days is something I have not seen since learned to keep my right foot planted from an apex to the next braking zone.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:35 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Wooly1
Has anybody who has a third party exhaust on their car (cat less) had any trouble getting their engine replaced under warranty? My understanding is that anything that is a bolt on mod is not an issue.
You're in the US, so the Magnuson Moss act is your friend... I believe the manufacturer would have to prove that the aftermarket mod was a direct cause for the failure.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:58 PM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
You're in the US, so the Magnuson Moss act is your friend... I believe the manufacturer would have to prove that the aftermarket mod was a direct cause for the failure.
Thanks, that was my understanding as well. Just wanted to see if anyone with a cat less exhaust had gotten their engine replaced without issue.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:13 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Do 2015 models have the engine problems? Im looking into buying one. Does the warranty transfer when buying from a non porsche dealer
Cheers
Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Idle is more smooth than my previous two engines ever had.
I've got my car back today. Same observation about the idle. Idle is supersmooth now comparing with the old engine.

What's your new engine number? Mine is G603xx
Old 11-30-2017, 12:44 PM
wsmmd
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the warranty transfers with the car.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gine-warranty/
Old 11-30-2017, 01:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Do 2015 models have the engine problems? Im looking into buying one. Does the warranty transfer when buying from a non porsche dealer
Cheers
Yes, all 2014, 2015 and 2016 GT3's potentially have this issue. The warranty is fully transferable.

Originally Posted by levd
I've got my car back today. Same observation about the idle. Idle is supersmooth now comparing with the old engine.

What's your new engine number? Mine is G603xx
Awesome! Enjoy the new motor Levd!

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?