Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:20 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, since one of your biggest issues is “missed” track days, why didn’t you move into an RS? The issue seems to be “nearly” fixed in that iteration of the 4.0. TRakcar has put his UV car through an extensive amount of track miles without issues.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:22 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing is - I do not track much. And I expect GT car from Porsche to be at least as reliable as Turbo.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:45 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simpler and older things are always going to be more reliable than newer and more complex things. Thats how it always has been and always will be.

I'm sure even this second car will have its own issues.

i also agree that for the price you pay and performance you get out of these cars, they are hardly a "bargain". You are paying because of the GT3 icon, nothing else.

Have you seen the new ZR1? Gt3 cannot even compete with Z06, and now there is ZR1 which will probably outlap everything including cars that cost7 figures forget GT3 or 918.

Point being, Porsche better deliver on their cars because all they got going for themselves is "the experience" factor. if I were a 2015 owner who paid the ADMs and waited a year, I would be so upset right now. The previous poster is right, the amount of time you cannot enjoy the car (2-3 months total), loss of track time which you had previous paid, plus car payments and taxes, its just insane that you have to go through this. The engine replacement warranty is nice but its not like amazon prime refund where when you have an issue Porsche is waiting with open arms and key to a new GT3 and you just go on with your life.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:56 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Simpler and older things are always going to be more reliable than newer and more complex things. Thats how it always has been and always will be.

i also agree that for the price you pay and performance you get out of these cars, they are hardly a "bargain". You are paying because of the GT3 icon, nothing else.

Have you seen the new ZR1? Gt3 cannot even compete with Z06, and now there is ZR1 which will probably outlap everything including cars that cost7 figures forget GT3 or 918.

Point being, Porsche better deliver on their cars because all they got going for themselves is "the experience" factor. if I were a 2015 owner who paid the ADMs and waited a year, I would be so upset right now. The previous poster is right, the amount of time you cannot enjoy the car (2-3 months total), loss of track time which you had previous paid, plus car payments and taxes, its just insane that you have to go through this. The engine replacement warranty is nice but its not like amazon prime refund where when you have an issue Porsche is waiting with open arms and key to a new GT3 and you just go on with your life.
Having just did a cruise with some friends, including one with a new Z06/Z07 package, i respectfully disagree that the “GT3 cannot even compete with the Z06.”

We were doing some pretty spirited driving and the Z06 driver was having a hard time keeping up. Sure the car was new to him, which counts, but the corner speeds capable in the 991 GT3 and RS are levels above the Z06, in the hands of regular drivers. No comparison. The Z06 obviously has a lot more hp and torque, but in the twisties those advantages are very hard to leverage. Great bang for the buck, and they are awesome cars, but saying the GT3 cannot compete is flat out false. In a straight line obviously all advantage to the Z06. But that’s not why i own my GT3.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:27 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

ZR1 will be no match to King Kong (aka GT2 RS)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:42 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Having just did a cruise with some friends, including one with a new Z06/Z07 package, i respectfully disagree that the “GT3 cannot even compete with the Z06.”

We were doing some pretty spirited driving and the Z06 driver was having a hard time keeping up. Sure the car was new to him, which counts, but the corner speeds capable in the 991 GT3 and RS are levels above the Z06, in the hands of regular drivers. No comparison. The Z06 obviously has a lot more hp and torque, but in the twisties those advantages are very hard to leverage. Great bang for the buck, and they are awesome cars, but saying the GT3 cannot compete is flat out false. In a straight line obviously all advantage to the Z06. But that’s not why i own my GT3.
i track with guys who drive Z06, and there is no way a Z06 would struggle to keep up with GT3 unless it was cold, they are very sensitive to tire temps - most likely driver and not car.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:11 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

For how many laps? One?.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
i track with guys who drive Z06, and there is no way a Z06 would struggle to keep up with GT3 unless it was cold, they are very sensitive to tire temps - most likely driver and not car.
Just sharing what i witnessed first-hand. I personally like Z06’s and feel they are a ton of car for the money. But with an average driver the GT3 walks away from a Z06 in the twisties. Far more stable. Confidence inspiring. Easier to get the power down. Just far easier to go fast. We will do another run when things warm up, so if my opinion changes i will definitely say it.

Again, i am a fan of the Z06. Especially with the Z07 package. Awesome car! I was really impressed. But if i want to carve up some twisties my GT3 is stupid fast. Cheater car!

If the driver’s skill is high, different story. But i am not saying that. I am talking about an average driver driving a GT3 fast vs. an average driver driving a Z06 fast.

Different animals. In my opinion.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:19 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Just sharing what i witnessed first-hand. I personally like Z06’s and feel they are a ton of car for the money. But with an average driver the GT3 walks away from a Z06 in the twisties. Far more stable. Confidence inspiring. Easier to get the power down. Just far easier to go fast. We will do another run when things warm up, so if my opinion changes i will definitely say it.

Again, i am a fan of the Z06. Especially with the Z07 package. Awesome car! I was really impressed. But if i want to carve up some twisties my GT3 is stupid fast. Cheater car!

If the driver’s skill is high, different story. But i am not saying that. I am talking about an average driver driving a GT3 fast vs. an average driver driving a Z06 fast.

I've seen many below average drivers run with GT3s at the track in their Grand Sports and Z06s. They are stupid fast. I'm guessing if you traded cars your friend would still be struggling.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:22 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

+1
Old 11-11-2017, 09:36 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

An average driver in a Z06 will far outperform an average driver in a GT3. Further, with the right alignment and warm tyres as mentioned above, on a road course the GT3 driver won’t stand a chance. This was nothing more than a driver taking it very easy on his Z; they really are a beast performance wise.

Achilles heel: overheating on a road course in particular the A8 version.

Bish
Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Weird discussion going on ...

Why compare the pace of fast sports cars on the road? If you're near the limits of these fast sports cars on the road, you're insane or taking way more risk than you realize. You can be at 2X or 3X the speed limit in either car and still be below the cars' limits.

On the track, no point in comparing the pace of the cars with drivers who can't drive them near their limits. Near the limits, the pace of the Vette and GT3 is similar, depending on tires and which version of the Vette you're looking at.

But I still prefer the GT3, and to me it's well worth the extra cost.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Weird discussion going on ...

Why compare the pace of fast sports cars on the road? If you're near the limits of these fast sports cars on the road, you're insane or taking way more risk than you realize. You can be at 2X or 3X the speed limit in either car and still be below the cars' limits.

On the track, no point in comparing the pace of the cars with drivers who can't drive them near their limits. Near the limits, the pace of the Vette and GT3 is similar, depending on tires and which version of the Vette you're looking at.

But I still prefer the GT3, and to me it's well worth the extra cost.
I believe in Rob's post he was referring to a fun drive on twisty back roads, not anywhere near the limit. If that is the case the driver of the Vette could easily have keep up with Rob's GT3 if they had chosen to.

I bought a Grand Sport while I was waiting for my .2 to arrive, and while I clearly prefer the GT3 the Grand Sport has exceeded all my expectations with the exception of a few quality issues
Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
An average driver in a Z06 will far outperform an average driver in a GT3. Further, with the right alignment and warm tyres as mentioned above, on a road course the GT3 driver won’t stand a chance. This was nothing more than a driver taking it very easy on his Z; they really are a beast performance wise.

Achilles heel: overheating on a road course in particular the A8 version.

Bish
SMH,, No way in hell. An average driver with a 650/650 Z06, that the rear end jumps out with just a little throttle input mid corner, would never outperform an average driver in a GT3.
A skilled driver yes, the ZO6 will smoke the GT3, but definitely not with an average driver. Chassis is way overpowered by the drivetrain, FACT.
And I'm talking stock for stock(tires).
Grand Sport would be better for an average driver and would probably have faster lap times. There are many salvage title Z06's out there for a reason, not a good car for a green or average driver.
Can't wait for the 19' ZR1 to come out, that should be wicked, and with the additional downforce, it will probably be good for all driver skill levels.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:20 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
SMH,, No way in hell. An average driver with a 650/650 Z06, that the rear end jumps out with just a little throttle input mid corner, would never outperform an average driver in a GT3.
it depends on what drive mode the Z06 is in, on the street it would be foolish to use the track modes and in Tour or Sport settings the car cuts power and applies brakes at the first sign of loss of traction. Yes if you are in S2 or Race mode under the Track menu, its all down to driver skill and you need to be a good driver to control all that power.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?