Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Old 03-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

The end result will be another new engine.

Yes- they have a problem. One who never tracks may never have this issue even at a 100,000 miles.
The problem is that is not the point. You may be selling it to somebody who tracks. When you tout and market a car that will be competent on the track you will eventually have to stand behind every one of these engines

I hope things turn out for the best for you. Nobody wants to see their Baby on the side lines.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:53 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Interesting update on the RS at Big Willows. It doesnt sound related to the cylinder rocker issue (more of a rod through the case thing!). Ive seen a rod through the case on a F engine GT3 on these boards (picture on a prior thread).

Regards your issues, the bulletin asks the tech to replace plugs and swap over coil packs to replicate the issue. If it persists the next step is to drop the engine and remove the valve cover etc. I dont think oil level has anything to do with this at all personally...I can send you the bulletin if you like, although you may find it on one of my earlier posts elsewhere on the board...

Please keep us informed...
Thanks guys for your supportive comments.
Yes Macca if you could get the bulletin to me, I'll forward to my SA as a friendly elbow to move along.
The oil level thing bugged me because if anything the level was high.
The RS at Big Willow is concerning. It is a new RS, so a possible issue with break in???
Old 03-24-2016, 06:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi David. Ive posted the bulletin below for all who need it. Its a very prescriptive process. I managed to get my tech to complete the lead swap, then the valve cover removal and the subsequent dismantlement of the rocker fingers, photographs of same and email to PAG with pictures within 3 days. A few days later PAg signed off on a new engine then it was a process of organizing shipping to the bottom of the world. All in all it was completed within 5 weeks of the issue arising but should be quicker due to your location in relation to Germany.

My failure occurred 09 Jan. A friend (the only other 991 GT3 owner with E engine thats done almost identical miles and usage as myself in NZ) had the same failure at the track 4 weeks later on 08 Feb. The wear on his rocker fingers was more server with one of the rocker arms on Cylc 6 snapping and jamming the valve - the car subsequently was running on 5 cylinders. His engine was expedited on 25 Feb and was in country 7 days later and installed in time for our annual track tour 06 March.

Of interest, even though there was a months between the events and 4 weeks between the shipping of the engines his engine number is earlier than mine by 22 units and produced 10/12 vs mine on 15/12 (see pictures below - his top mine bottom) indicating that there is a warehouse supply of these units, no doubt built at the end of the production run and ready for failures such as this...so much for FIFO (first in first out) warehousing management principles!
Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Misfiring at High RPM 59s15.pdf (1.70 MB, 539 views)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Hi David. Ive posted the bulletin below for all who need it. Its a very prescriptive process.
I love this line...

Test-drive the vehicle until the fault occurs: Drive with full-load acceleration over a rpm range of 4,000 – 8,500 rpm. Observe all traffic laws. i.e. don't speed.

LOL
Old 03-24-2016, 09:43 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi David. Ive posted the bulletin below for all who need it. Its a very prescriptive process. I managed to get my tech to complete the lead swap, then the valve cover removal and the subsequent dismantlement of the rocker fingers, photographs of same and email to PAG with pictures within 3 days. A few days later PAg signed off on a new engine then it was a process of organizing shipping to the bottom of the world. All in all it was completed within 5 weeks of the issue arising but should be quicker due to your location in relation to Germany.

My failure occurred 09 Jan. A friend (the only other 991 GT3 owner with E engine thats done almost identical miles and usage as myself in NZ) had the same failure at the track 4 weeks later on 08 Feb. The wear on his rocker fingers was more server with one of the rocker arms on Cylc 6 snapping and jamming the valve - the car subsequently was running on 5 cylinders. His engine was expedited on 25 Feb and was in country 7 days later and installed in time for our annual track tour 06 March.

Of interest, even though there was a months between the events and 4 weeks between the shipping of the engines his engine number is earlier than mine by 22 units and produced 10/12 vs mine on 15/12 (see pictures below - his top mine bottom) indicating that there is a warehouse supply of these units, no doubt built at the end of the production run and ready for failures such as this...so much for FIFO (first in first out) warehousing management principles!
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I love this line...

Test-drive the vehicle until the fault occurs: Drive with full-load acceleration over a rpm range of 4,000 – 8,500 rpm. Observe all traffic laws. i.e. don't speed.

LOL
Practically impossible in this country - in first gear it will be wheel-spin and thus not full load, in any other gear it will be speeding.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They managed to replicate my fault first time on a road test outside the inner city dealership using 1st gear to 8000 rpm. I did not ask how fast that was!!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:48 AM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An update on my 991 GT3 “e” engine. As a refresher, I am the first/only owner of a 2014 model with the replacement e engine. I do around 3 to 4 track days per year. I had 20k km on the clock when about two weeks ago (Mar 12), I took it to our first Porsche club track event. On the first lap, I got the engine light (posted earlier on this thread) that read “reduced engine performance, possible to drive on.”

After I pitted, I went out again and at around 7,300 rpm per the diagnostic computer, cylinder 3 misfired and caused the engine light to go on again. The car went to the dealer center. After 13 days, I went to the dealer center to see first hand the situation with my engine.

Macca, your comments here would be helpful.

First, a pic of the 991 engine. A sight to behold in all other circumstances.

Second, a couple of pics of the rocker arms for cylinder 1, 2 and 3. You can see the third rocker arm, there is significant scoring.

Third, a pic of just the rocker arms for cylinder 3 – although I don’t know what I’m really looking at, it doesn’t look good

Fourth, a pic of one of the rockers for cylinder 3 from a lateral point of view. If you enlarge the pic, you can see that the top of the rocker has flattened out due to the wear. Not sure where all this metal goes

Fifth, a pic of the other set of rockers for cylinders 4, 5 and 6. Not looking that great either. But again, my view.

I want to share all that I can to help everyone including myself on this forum. For sure, I was educating the mechanics there on the potential design flaw of the e engine - and I am not that technical. All my knowledge comes from you guys. Next steps, they will report to PAG. Then see what happens. For me, it is e engine or bust. Any suggestions and what I should do? Will keep you posted
Attached Images        
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Oh WOW! That's a lot of scoring on the cam! Definitely lack of lubrication!
Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 AM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI in most states the Lemon Law rules carry for the length of the factory warranty. I was able to use it on my second-hand M3 after it took 7 weeks for an engine replacement. Instead of making them buy the car back, they compensated me several thousand cash for my time and put in a brand new motor, all while I was driving new loaner vehicles on them.

Originally Posted by carz80am
I hope thats true for others as well. It SUCKS right now. Between PCNA and the dealership no one gives me a straight answer and they never will give me a date, keep telling me they will continue to give updates. Last I heard the motor was still in Germany and they wanted to blame fedex. If I was the original owner I could have gotten the lemon law and Porsche would have had to buy it back since it's taken so long, but I'm the second owner so I can't use that. I got a feeling I may hit 2 months by the time I actually get the car back....
Old 03-25-2016, 10:17 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by calpolo17
FYI in most states the Lemon Law rules carry for the length of the factory warranty. I was able to use it on my second-hand M3 after it took 7 weeks for an engine replacement. Instead of making them buy the car back, they compensated me several thousand cash for my time and put in a brand new motor, all while I was driving new loaner vehicles on them.
Thanks for this, going to look into it today.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Any Canucks out there know if such thing as "Lemon Law" in Canada?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!!! Looks like a MAJOR lack of any kind of normal lubrication. I have never seen anything like that. How about the main bearings?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Spies have reported a RS "blowing" it's engine at Big Willow today. Apparently he was driving in Sport Auto. Oil "all over the place". Hmmmm.
I was wondering about this. Other than stroking it to 4.0L and incorporating the different air intakes are there any other differences between the GT3 and RS motors? While there was no recall on the RS motor that I'm aware of my dealer here in Germany informed me that it is no secret that many 991RS cars are driving around with replaced motors. I was shocked when he told me this. As much as I appreciate the 991GT3/RS for what it is, I'm beginning to think a GT4CS with a reworked gearbox by Manthey might be a better solution for what I'm looking for as a compliment to the Mezger.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:08 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks ablee2323 for those very detailed and informative photos. I hope your issues get resolved. Since I don't have an engineering background, can anyone please tell me whether any of this would be considered "normal" wear (ie. on all the other rocker arms there also appears to be a lesser amount of scoring, and I'm wondering how one distinguishes from unusually bad scoring and what might be expected in all engines, or is any degree of scoring considered bad)? Does crossing the line from normal wear and tear to dangerous by definition cause a misfire and thus other potential damage to the engine? Any more info would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

bronson7, no, Canada apparently does not have the same consumer protection laws.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc...g/ca02324.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lemo...have-1.2951106

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?