Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Macca your data appears to be missing the G MA176 failure I mentioned pages ago. Bent valves within 1,500 miles eh, all within its *first* track outing.
CRex. I have your data point noted but have been following the MA175 variant engine issue in detail only. Until someone can provide a detailed pet on the MA176 engine and the technical sales bulletin on the 991 RS and the differences PAG purport at least between the cars engine compared to the NA275 in original "E" variant I'm loath to mix the two events up as it's difficult to determine what additional changes have been made. Right now I've come to the conclusion the G series MA175 is essentially identical to the MA176 in almost all aspects other than those relating to capacity increase, cam profile (for engine characteristic) and crank shaft (space metal - though we don't know the part number to compare). I'm 100% convinced given my use of the G engine they have addressed the rings too as they did mention in the RS as I'm using WAY less oil on track days (have compared with other RS and G series owners and consistent at approx 200ml per 1.5-2hr track day flat out) and my engine is yet to smoke on start up after 3500 miles and 4 track days in the last 3 weeks since pick up....
Old 03-22-2016, 05:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carz80am
I sincerely hope none of you need a new motor. Mine still hasn't left Germany and my car has been in the shop since the first week of February. I had a 15 911 turbo s before this and this really makes me not want to get another new porsche. I totally understand cars have issues/problems but get them resolved in a timely manner. There was a bulletin on the issue and there seems to be no urgency at all from PCNA or the dealership who keeps complaining that a lift has been tied up just as long....
Carz80am. I feel for you on this buddy but I must say from the 20 examples I have your experience is not typical. Most have had a 2-3 week turn around on a new crated engine from Germany. I don't believe your experience is typical I'm afraid although it's cold comfort in me saying so....
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Spies have reported a RS "blowing" it's engine at Big Willow today. Apparently he was driving in Sport Auto. Oil "all over the place". Hmmmm.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Carz80am. I feel for you on this buddy but I must say from the 20 examples I have your experience is not typical. Most have had a 2-3 week turn around on a new crated engine from Germany. I don't believe your experience is typical I'm afraid although it's cold comfort in me saying so....
I hope thats true for others as well. It SUCKS right now. Between PCNA and the dealership no one gives me a straight answer and they never will give me a date, keep telling me they will continue to give updates. Last I heard the motor was still in Germany and they wanted to blame fedex. If I was the original owner I could have gotten the lemon law and Porsche would have had to buy it back since it's taken so long, but I'm the second owner so I can't use that. I got a feeling I may hit 2 months by the time I actually get the car back....
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope thats true for others as well. It SUCKS right now. Between PCNA and the dealership no one gives me a straight answer and they never will give me a date, keep telling me they will continue to give updates. Last I heard the motor was still in Germany and they wanted to blame fedex. If I was the original owner I could have gotten the lemon law and Porsche would have had to buy it back since it's taken so long, but I'm the second owner so I can't use that. I got a feeling I may hit 2 months by the time I actually get the car back....
Hopefully you're getting some compensation.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:54 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Hopefully you're getting some compensation.
Nothing yet, don't know what to expect.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Nothing yet, don't know what to expect.
2 months of bank payments.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Macca, in your data/notes that you have collected, are you aware of whether any of these engines that are being repaired/replaced, had never seen the track, only street driven?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Macca, in your data/notes that you have collected, are you aware of whether any of these engines that are being repaired/replaced, had never seen the track, only street driven?
I would also be interested in that question.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I've recorded street & track miles. IIRC track miles vary between 200 and 4000. The E car with 200 was a DD and had covered 20k miles with only one full track day along the way. There are F engines out there seen 2500-4500 track miles with no issues yet of cylinder misfire such as Manifold and OrthoJoe. However there are two F engines on my database failed almost out of the box with 900 miles and 2500 miles. Given I have only a fraction of the real data (only those that have fessed up on this board or contacted me by PM) it's really hard to tell the real size of the sample globally but I would without hesitation guess at 10-20x my numbers as many cars have seen two European seasons now and summer is again around the corner.

On a side note I replaced my oil and filter today at the dealer (5600 km on new G engine plus 4 full track days), purely precautionary of course but the tech and I had a good look at the filter thread on the lower dump cast housing and it would appear the 40mm ID thread neck screws into the housing so it's difficult to say if only the thread neck has been changed or the whole lower cast housing itself. The process was delayed as wrong filter was supplied (E/F variant due to the tech using the Vin to determine the parts required which naturally in PAGs PET system points to the older engine). A small catch for new players so look out for this and warn them in advance if changing oil on your replacement G engine. Oil looked clean and no sign of contaminants in oil or filter...
Old 03-24-2016, 01:20 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Update. They found 3 different cylinders with misfires as well as low oil pressures. (Where have we heard this before!). Initial instructions are to fill the oil to max and see if they can replicate the misfires. The feeling being low oil levels created the misfires. The problem I have with this theory is that I was burning off a slight oil over fill on Saturday at Thermal (200 track miles) and never went under the second mark on Sunday (70-80 miles) when the limp mode occurred.
More testing tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:50 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Update. They found 3 different cylinders with misfires as well as low oil pressures. (Where have we heard this before!). Initial instructions are to fill the oil to max and see if they can replicate the misfires. The feeling being low oil levels created the misfires.
That theory makes very little sense and sounds borderline like a superstition. But I'm probably stating the obvious.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Update. They found 3 different cylinders with misfires as well as low oil pressures. (Where have we heard this before!). Initial instructions are to fill the oil to max and see if they can replicate the misfires. The feeling being low oil levels created the misfires. The problem I have with this theory is that I was burning off a slight oil over fill on Saturday at Thermal (200 track miles) and never went under the second mark on Sunday (70-80 miles) when the limp mode occurred.
More testing tomorrow.
Interesting update on the RS at Big Willows. It doesnt sound related to the cylinder rocker issue (more of a rod through the case thing!). Ive seen a rod through the case on a F engine GT3 on these boards (picture on a prior thread).

Regards your issues, the bulletin asks the tech to replace plugs and swap over coil packs to replicate the issue. If it persists the next step is to drop the engine and remove the valve cover etc. I dont think oil level has anything to do with this at all personally...I can send you the bulletin if you like, although you may find it on one of my earlier posts elsewhere on the board...

Please keep us informed...
Old 03-24-2016, 08:41 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Thank you for all the updates boys.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:58 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Macca's the Man !!!

SD David thanks for the update and sharing the engine news here .

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?