Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Old 03-13-2016, 03:09 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
If I still had my 2014 i would track it few times this yr just to get the bugs out otherwise the failure might extend to beyond warranty period if you don't drive it hard.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Trust you inner self.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Great to hear you got the outcome you were looking for!

Out of 20 recorded examples there are no G engine failures, although its early days. In two weeks time I'll have 6 track days plus over 4000 fast road miles on the new G engine. So far very good.

4000 rpm in 5th gear under load registers 58/59 psi for those asking....
Macca, thanks for checking the oil press for me. My engine F0 keeps exactly the same pressure and this is actually pressure per user manual. Would it mean that there is no software upgrade to increase oil pressure and this is just a rumour?
Then if that was actually true that low oil pressure was a sort of problem in our engines Porsche would have immediately made a recall for all engines. Why would they upgrade oil system with G engines only and leave E and F for their own fate?That makes no sense.
There is no recall for my engine/car. Checked that out with my dealer 2 weeks ago and got written prove from Porsche system.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:30 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Macca, thanks for checking the oil press for me. My engine F0 keeps exactly the same pressure and this is actually pressure per user manual. Would it mean that there is no software upgrade to increase oil pressure and this is just a rumour?
Then if that was actually true that low oil pressure was a sort of problem in our engines Porsche would have immediately made a recall for all engines. Why would they upgrade oil system with G engines only and leave E and F for their own fate?That makes no sense.
There is no recall for my engine/car. Checked that out with my dealer 2 weeks ago and got written prove from Porsche system.
I agree here and hope our thinking is correct. If Porsche felt all engines needed the updates I'm sure they would have notified all. Lets hope this is the end of anymore engine failures out in the wild. I guess time will tell.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:39 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Great to hear you got the outcome you were looking for!

Out of 20 recorded examples there are no G engine failures, although its early days. In two weeks time I'll have 6 track days plus over 4000 fast road miles on the new G engine. So far very good.

4000 rpm in 5th gear under load registers 58/59 psi for those asking....
Hi Macca and All

for reference my 2015 M.Y. F0 engine
5th gear manual mode , oil water temp 90 C (194 F)

at 4k rpm is 63 psi (4.4 bar)
at 3k rpm is 53 psi (3.7 bar)
at 2k rpm is 43 psi (3.0 bar)

Last edited by fxz; 03-13-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:35 PM
Sixpacked
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Picking up my beast on Friday, March 18th and just checked the VIN. It has the G engine installed from factory. So I should be in the clear I guess?....Otherwise I might find out on the 1.100 km drive back home ��
New to this forum and already love it.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The software patch is real. The bulletin for this is published. Im not sure 4000 rpm is considered "mid range" so the changes may be nominal. My measurement was manual on the run during a hard drive. Oil temps were 95C. I will try recording the pressure at 5000,6000 rp. Im pretty sure it goes up to 71 psi at 5000 and stays around there till the higher reaches. Purely by assumption I imagine the difference with the G engine is that the revided oil pump is capable of higher duty cycles of running higer overall average oil pressure. We know the filter and sump filter neck diameter are different but have not specifics on the oil sprayer and rail design internally within the head at this time.
Attached Images    
Old 03-14-2016, 05:16 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now I am worried. G engines have improved oil system and E/F not.
The only thing left to do is to abuse the car and hope for the engine to blow off.
I wonder if anyone could send an official inquiry to Porsche about this issue? It's rather an important bit of our engines...

What was exactly done with the above mentioned recall? Coils and software change only? What about the different oil filter you have attached a photo of?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:49 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Now I am worried. G engines have improved oil system and E/F not.
The only thing left to do is to abuse the car and hope for the engine to blow off.
I wonder if anyone could send an official inquiry to Porsche about this issue? It's rather an important bit of our engines...

What was exactly done with the above mentioned recall? Coils and software change only? What about the different oil filter you have attached a photo of?
Porsche already has a bulletin on these issues.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:20 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

The software patch is real. The bulletin for this is published. Im not sure 4000 rpm is considered "mid range" so the changes may be nominal. My measurement was manual on the run during a hard drive. Oil temps were 95C. I will try recording the pressure at 5000,6000 rp. Im pretty sure it goes up to 71 psi at 5000 and stays around there till the higher reaches. Purely by assumption I imagine the difference with the G engine is that the revided oil pump is capable of higher duty cycles of running higer overall average oil pressure. We know the filter and sump filter neck diameter are different but have not specifics on the oil sprayer and rail design internally within the head at this time.
Mark,
thx for riding herd on this important issue!
I am not sure I understand why there isn't a TSB or ? to all MY'14/'15 owners to get the software patch for the oil pressure?
I have checked w/ my dealer several times..."no need to bring the '15 in".
thx!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Black gold
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Hi Macca and All

you refer to FO engine , aren't all 2015 gt3 F engines the same or is there distinctions between F engines ? is the letter following the F a sub categorie ?
The letter following my F is S its a Canadian car 7000km no issues runs great
Old 03-14-2016, 05:58 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Hi Macca and All

Originally Posted by Black gold
you refer to FO engine , aren't all 2015 gt3 F engines the same or is there distinctions between F engines ? is the letter following the F a sub categorie ?
The letter following my F is S its a Canadian car 7000km no issues runs great
you can find the engine number under the vin number opening the back lid

MA17x xxxxxxx

so far my F engine oil pressure is good
even higher than as a reference Macca G engine
63 psi vs 58 59 psi 5th gear 4k rpm
Old 03-14-2016, 09:18 PM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interim update

Got a call from the dealer center. They confirmed receiving the car and 3rd cylinder misfire diagnosis. Given backed up servicing schedule, they won't get to a conclusive result for a couple of days. The guy I spoke with said something about coilovers and spark plugs I said with due respect it likely isn't that. I informed them about what I've learned from this forum - thanks all - so we'll see.

Wait and see mode
Old 03-14-2016, 09:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ablee2323
Got a call from the dealer center. They confirmed receiving the car and 3rd cylinder misfire diagnosis. Given backed up servicing schedule, they won't get to a conclusive result for a couple of days. The guy I spoke with said something about coilovers and spark plugs I said with due respect it likely isn't that. I informed them about what I've learned from this forum - thanks all - so we'll see. Wait and see mode
I'm sorry...whaat?!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:51 PM
JB991
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm sorry...whaat?!
Thinking he meant coil pack?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:52 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

had my car out for an autox yesterday and at the track today. no repeat of the misfire error after swapping out the coil pack on cylinder 6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?