Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to install a racing bucket...Need intel

Old 02-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking to install a racing bucket...Need intel

Hi guys, please help me out on a few things. I want to install one racing bucket for my occasional track day. Theres a few things to consider so I was hoping you can share some important factors or what I need to do to make this possible.

- Without having a cage (for the time being) what can be used as seat belt or harness?
- Is there a special bracket that needs to utilized?
- Is it something that can be swapped out faulty easily. I would prefer to not have it in permanently.
- If side airbags need to be coded out, can that be done at dealer? If not, what are my options?
- Can 5-point be attached to certain seats, or only a cage?
- If theres no seat belt attached will frequent chime be on?

I appreciate the info and help, thank you.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
Hi guys, please help me out on a few things. I want to install one racing bucket for my occasional track day. Theres a few things to consider so I was hoping you can share some important factors or what I need to do to make this possible.

- Without having a cage (for the time being) what can be used as seat belt or harness?
- Is it something that can be swapped out faulty easily. I would prefer to not have it in permanently.
- If side airbags need to be coded out, can that be done at dealer? If not, what are my options?

You really need a cage. There is I recall a setup where you can strap on a harness without a cage but I'm not sure how safe it is. I would not use it personally.

Without a cage probably better just to have buckets and use OEM seatbelts. Side airbag light from installing aftermarket buckets cannot be coded out even with PIWIS. Believe me, we've tried.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

The seat belt connect is affixed to the seat, so if the seat is removed, then what?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

The seat belt connect is affixed to the seat, so if the seat is removed, then what?
No it's not. The female connector remains, and the belt is obviously still there. I have buckets in my car and still use the OEM seatbelts when not on the track.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:48 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you've got a dedicated track car, so you obviously have experience.

That said, I'd highly recommend you go ahead and get the cage installed. You'll have to cut a couple holes in the rear carpet, but no biggie.

If you want to look, I believe Vivid Racing can talk you through a universal "harness bar" that will "work."

The electronics on the GT3 are PIA and very sensitive. We never could figure out how to turn off airbag lights as well as seat belts. Just learned to live w/ them on.

Remember though, most clubs won't permit passengers without equal restraint systems on both sides, ie 6/5 point on your side, then passenger side must too. I've seen enough serious wrecks I wouldn't drive without full harness (not to mention a few "taps" w/ a tire wall here and there myself They put these stupid walls in the darndest place??)
Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I wouldn't use a 5 point I'd go with a 6 or 7 point. I'd hate to run ***** and the Boys up against the 5th belt in a crash.

I don't know of any seat that a 5 point harness could be attached to and it wouldn't be a good idea anyway.

I'd go with a proper seat, harness, Hans type device and roll bar or stick with the factory setup.

Unlike skydiving there is no reserve.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey Pazz, fellow LIer here. I'm having Bill Rudtner install 2 Recaro Profi XL's into my '15. GMG makes a nice bracket, I ordered parts and put one together.

I do have a full bar I got from Cantrell. I plan on putting a piece of tape over the airbag light.

We will be attaching the inner belts to the middle console (structure).

I'm pretty sure you're going to the Smokies gathering, I'll have mine ready by then.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No it's not. The female connector remains, and the belt is obviously still there. I have buckets in my car and still use the OEM seatbelts when not on the track.
Are you sure? Looking at it appears it attached to the seat, but I presume it then must be coming up from the floor.

Originally Posted by est8esq
Looks like you've got a dedicated track car, so you obviously have experience.

That said, I'd highly recommend you go ahead and get the cage installed. You'll have to cut a couple holes in the rear carpet, but no biggie.

If you want to look, I believe Vivid Racing can talk you through a universal "harness bar" that will "work."

The electronics on the GT3 are PIA and very sensitive. We never could figure out how to turn off airbag lights as well as seat belts. Just learned to live w/ them on.

Remember though, most clubs won't permit passengers without equal restraint systems on both sides, ie 6/5 point on your side, then passenger side must too. I've seen enough serious wrecks I wouldn't drive without full harness (not to mention a few "taps" w/ a tire wall here and there myself They put these stupid walls in the darndest place??)
Lol... Thanks for the input. As you saw I do have a track dedicated car but of course my GT3 is quite enjoyable on the track. However, I don't track it that often that it may not be worth going through all of this just to put a seat in it. As you track guys know, aside from the obvious safety benefit of a cage and harnesses, the advantage I desire is not being thrown around the car. Being in a bucket strapped in makes you more one with the car. My standard seats don't hold me in for ****.

The cage is a maybe, eventually. So from what I'm gathering this doesn't sound as easy as I hoped. I thought I could buy a seat, bracket, and install. This was something I thought I could swap back and forth fairly easily. The other issue I was not aware of was the potential track or club rules for passengers. I'm not willing to do both seats. I appreciate your insight.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by jlanka
Hey Pazz, fellow LIer here. I'm having Bill Rudtner install 2 Recaro Profi XL's into my '15. GMG makes a nice bracket, I ordered parts and put one together.

I do have a full bar I got from Cantrell. I plan on putting a piece of tape over the airbag light.

We will be attaching the inner belts to the middle console (structure).

I'm pretty sure you're going to the Smokies gathering, I'll have mine ready by then.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, I live a hour north of NYC, but I am fellow overtaxed NY'er like yourself. You likely more so being on the island. Please post some pics when that gets all done. Sounds like it will be awesome. I was hoping this would not be so permanent and cage wasn't required. It sound like a cage is beneficial in multiple ways to do this appropriately, but the seat will be likely a permanent install. If thats the case I'm not interested. Secondly for track use, if the seat and harnesses will be the same for passengers, then my wife will either never go in the car again, or break my ***** the entire drive. I want neither to happen.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the issue with my wife not being able to use the racing buckets and only installed one seat last week. Here is a picture of the install. The inside buckle (3point) and lap belts (6point) use the bolts attached to the seat mounting bracket. I bought Porsche GT2 seats so the Porsche bracket came with this configuration plus has the side airbag which can be coded into the car, so no lights. I installed the BBi bar which adds rigidity to the rear of the car and required one cut in the carpet, there are beefier bars (Cantrell is one) that are more intrusive to the interior and other less structural bars that require no cutting and are still fine for a harness. GMG RSR is an example of the latter. Gotta make your decision on amount you want to cut up the car and how safe you want to be.

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/2015/...-roll-bar.html

If you are solo, this will work for you. If you have an instructor, then you will be required to use your 3 points at the DE.

Practically you want to do this to be safer so a 6pt harness attached to a bar and a HANS is a given. PM if you want more pics of the install. Can only insert 1-2 in a post.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CDinSing; 02-07-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Will i need to modify the wiring harness so that the seat belt light (and chime) won't go off? I have sparcos with the gmg seat base ready. But it looks like the wiring for the seat belt receptacle goes to the yellow harness plug.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Will i need to modify the wiring harness so that the seat belt light (and chime) won't go off? I have sparcos with the gmg seat base ready. But it looks like the wiring for the seat belt receptacle goes to the yellow harness plug.
No modification necessary. The setup is dependent upon whether you use the 3-pt receptacle or not. If you want to use the 3-pt belt still you have two options: 1) unbolt the one that came with your car and is attached to your seat, 2) buy a spare. I personally bought a spare from Suncoast and mounted it to my race seat. That way I can swap the seat in/out of the car quickly. The receptacle plugs into the harness in the floor easily.

If you don't use the receptacle at all and unplug it from the harness, the car never detects the belt and thus does not trigger the seatbelt warning lamp.

When I am on track with the car and using my 7 pt. I tuck my 3-pt receptacle out of the way and use a dummy seat belt end to prevent a warning lamp.

Fairly straightforward.

- Chris.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Benedict295
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
I have the issue with my wife not being able to use the racing buckets and only installed one seat last week. Here is a picture of the install. The inside buckle (3point) and lap belts (6point) use the bolts attached to the seat mounting bracket. I bought Porsche GT2 seats so the Porsche bracket came with this configuration plus has the side airbag which can be coded into the car, so no lights. I installed the BBi bar which adds rigidity to the rear of the car and required one cut in the carpet, there are beefier bars (Cantrell is one) that are more intrusive to the interior and other less structural bars that require no cutting and are still fine for a harness. GMG RSR is an example of the latter. Gotta make your decision on amount you want to cut up the car and how safe you want to be.

http://www.gmgracing.com/store/2015/...-roll-bar.html

If you are solo, this will work for you. If you have an instructor, then you will be required to use your 3 points at the DE.

Practically you want to do this to be safer so a 6pt harness attached to a bar and a HANS is a given. PM if you want more pics of the install. Can only insert 1-2 in a post.
Digging this one up from the grave. Has anyone put the GT2 seat in a 991.2... As I want to run one race seat and love my GT2 seats.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict295
Digging this one up from the grave. Has anyone put the GT2 seat in a 991.2... As I want to run one race seat and love my GT2 seats.
That is one of the factory options on the .2 GT3 in Europe (and other places outside of N. America).
Old 02-20-2019, 07:20 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

If you do not put a bar in to use harnesses I would recommend you look at the HANS sport neck restraint that will work with the standard three point belts that are original equipment . I cannot stress enough the need for some type of neck restraint if you are going to be on the track . The normal HANS will only work with two over the shoulder harnesses connected to either a four, five or six point system but that requires either a roll bar or harness bar and a racing style seat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to install a racing bucket...Need intel