Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are DFI engines unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:12 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a troll post. Porsche DFI and General DFI engines have been around for quite a while. There were some early growing pains but there is no available information from 10s of thousands of customers that there any issues we should be worried about. Also, consider your source of information here. The is a person who has made a habit of coming to this subforum to bash the GT3 and the PDK.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

When did Porsche first start using a DFI engine setup?

997.2? First year production? 2008 (as a 2009 MY)?

How many DFI engine failures have we had in the intervening 7-8 years?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:22 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is very helpful. Thanks Nick for bringing this up. I learn something everyday here on RL. Tired of reading about RS value. Continue please.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
for the moment yes, however I do like to consider the future.
I have warranty for ~3 more years, and I doubt many of us will own our cars out of warranty. Just the nature of things, despite many who will label their cars a "keeper."

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
This is a troll post. Porsche DFI and General DFI engines have been around for quite a while. There were some early growing pains but there is no available information from 10s of thousands of customers that there any issues we should be worried about. Also, consider your source of information here. The is a person who has made a habit of coming to this subforum to bash the GT3 and the PDK.
I am inclined to agree with you.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is why I was a bit more hopeful about Porsche's DFI design. Notice in the pic that it seems there's a chance fuel gets a bit on the intake valve,but I don't know what happens in reality...
The subject you're posting about is old. And, that picture was posted in post #118 of this 4 year old thread that talked about engine reliability and DFI.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...liability.html

In my opinion, the best posts in that thread were #4 and #21. You'd think after a few years the subject would be dead. I don't remember the last time I heard the last model 997 4.0 GT3 RS was unreliable. Instead, I seem to recall it being called a unicorn and commanding prices north of $400k. That's pretty good for a car with an unreliable engine.

Dan (isn't selling his "unreliable" DFI GT3 anytime soon)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Let's not forget this character titled the topic as stating a fact that they are unreliable with 0 data to back that up.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
So are we saying the Porsche engineers didn't know about this or should I say they knew but didn't care? I still find this hard to believe.
This is a well known issue for many other manufacturers. It is one of the challenges manufacturers have encountered since switching to direct injection. There is no turning back,but engineers are working on a solution as I and others have described in previous posts.
By posting this thread,I have not had the intention to create any sort of panic,I am actually quite surprised many are not aware of these problems for other manufacturers. Let's make it clear that for the moment,Porsche has not had any carbon build up issues with their direct injection engines. It is just a concern that it might manifest in the future. As I said,perhaps the boxer engine design is much better than the direct injection engines found in VW,Audi,BMW etc.

I was honestly hoping to turn this into a constructive discussion,nothing else. I am certainly not looking to turn this into name calling and pointing fingers. Please use your judgement and let's keep this discussion on point and civilized.
Thank you.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:47 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
When did Porsche first start using a DFI engine setup?

997.2? First year production? 2008 (as a 2009 MY)?

How many DFI engine failures have we had in the intervening 7-8 years?
People started calling DFI engines bullet-proof from 997.2 gen.

http://www.total911.com/opinion-seve...eneration-911/
Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

Indeed.

But my point in asking wasn't to get an answer.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:04 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Indeed.

But my point in asking wasn't to get an answer.
You knew the answer before asking and were stylish about it. Me, I was captain of the obvious and kind of a blunt instrument.

Dan (hums hammer time)
Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

Given the quantity of engines and the years in service (MY09), I would like to think if this were a legitimate concern, it would have revealed itself by now. Calling fire in the theater based on one disassembled engine which may have just been started and idled before being yanked (and in turn "sooted") seems a poor data point to base an opinion. Rather, I'd ask Tecce how many high mile race 9A1 engine's he's disassembled and found significant carbon buildup.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:22 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Given the quantity of engines and the years in service (MY09), I would like to think if this were a legitimate concern, it would have revealed itself by now. Calling fire in the theater based on one disassembled engine which may have just been started and idled before being yanked (and in turn "sooted") seems a poor data point to base an opinion. Rather, I'd ask Tecce how many high mile race 9A1 engine's he's disassembled and found significant carbon buildup.
You're asking the right questions just like Ipse. Very Socratic of both of you.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:51 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is a well known issue for many other manufacturers. It is one of the challenges manufacturers have encountered since switching to direct injection. There is no turning back,but engineers are working on a solution as I and others have described in previous posts.
By posting this thread,I have not had the intention to create any sort of panic,I am actually quite surprised many are not aware of these problems for other manufacturers. Let's make it clear that for the moment,Porsche has not had any carbon build up issues with their direct injection engines. It is just a concern that it might manifest in the future. As I said,perhaps the boxer engine design is much better than the direct injection engines found in VW,Audi,BMW etc.

I was honestly hoping to turn this into a constructive discussion,nothing else. I am certainly not looking to turn this into name calling and pointing fingers. Please use your judgement and let's keep this discussion on point and civilized.
Thank you.
You literally titled the topic that DFI engines are unreliable, though it looks like you've changed it to a Fox News-style question, as if to imply you are being impartial.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:58 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

It was far from a troll post, which was immediately apparent to those of us who learn, read and contribute across forums. It would behoove Mr MayorAdametc., instead of clinging like a badge of honor to one area, to do the same. If he were to reach out of his comfort zone, he would know that the OP's picture came from BGB's post of the 4.0 engine they are making. It was very surprising to see a 2200 mile engine completely black with carbon buildup. The subject of durability with DFI engines is still very much alive, not just with Porsche but across brands. I myself have experienced issues with misfires and injector issue on a BMW where I learned from my dealer that it was suggested to walnut blast the engine every 30,000 miles from BMW.. Something which I had never heard or read about. Turns out that at BMW it was a hushed suggestion, that was not printed anywhere at the time.

I asked the mechanic to take pics before and After the $1600 walnut blasting, and the difference was astonishing. A 60,000 mile engine had caked on residue to the point that valves were not even closing properly.

I have now had 30,000 walnut blasting done to my 3L twin turbo engine, and each time, I find this in my engine. (Pic attached). The difference in performance (or lack of issues) after blasting is surprising. I had constant misfires with my engine as I pass 30,000 mile markers .. I have now installed an oil catchcan to assist with blow by to help reduce the issue, we'll see soon if it worked.

I find this additional significant maintenance cost to be unacceptable.. If only for the inconvenience and cost incurred every 30,000 miles.

The DFI issue is a design advantage, which when coupled with out ethanol gasoline has become as much a flaw. Thanks OP for bringing this up... I'm looking forward to BGB's answer to that astonishingly dirty system after so few miles.. It's now on my mind also as a Spyder owner.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

As the person who took that photo and then followed it over here, I will go on record saying i have ZERO concerns over the reliability of these motors. That carbon, while it may shock some and cause others to go off about how these motors need to be proven, is something we see all the time. The motor is apart because we have a stroker project in the works and we are doing R&D. Truth be told, if i knew the hysteria it would create, i would get back in the Delorean and head back to 12 hours ago and punch myself in the face.

Quick Reply: Are DFI engines unreliable?