Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top center marker on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You're welcome Mike! I really learned a lot from my dealings with Exclusive. They are a very helpful group of women and men with a fascinating perspective on what's possible within Porsche. I'm not able to do some of the things that guys like anonymous918 are doing (and he has been much more patient than me--see his thread above); but I thought the steering wheel stripe was within sight of my planned budget and liked the idea of testing the Exclusive waters.

To me, going the Exclusive route is only worthwhile if the customer insists on having the work done by the factory per se. If one is willing to go to aftermarket suppliers, then much of this work can be reproduced and often quite nicely at a lower price, or for even next to nothing as in the case of tape on the steering wheel. The way I see it, Exclusive has tested and stands behind their product with full warranty, it is designed to mesh with the car (even including functionally, like the ducktail's aerodynamics), and it has a certain authenticity that IMO cannot be matched through non-official channels. Plus I liked knowing that the designers and craftsmen who have conceived these fine Porsche products are the same ones working on these options.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:41 PM
911Enthusiast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3M sample tape in matte red -- worked like a charm!

Center strip
Old 09-01-2016, 02:04 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Has anyone considered just dying the strip red with leather dye?
Old 09-01-2016, 03:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Has anyone considered just dying the strip red with leather dye?
I wouldn't want to try it. A black wheel wouldn't take red dye very well. At best you'd end up with an oddly tinted, off color dark stripe and at worst with an expensive mess.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:01 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I wouldn't want to try it. A black wheel wouldn't take red dye very well. At best you'd end up with an oddly tinted, off color dark stripe and at worst with an expensive mess.
You would need to dye it grey first then red. Red dye is transparent and would take way to many coats to cover black.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:50 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried the tape on my 14 GT3 and took it out ASAP. Couldn't stand it.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:21 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't like the tape either.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
You would need to dye it grey first then red. Red dye is transparent and would take way to many coats to cover black.
Red acrylic leather paint would cover black in one coat easily. I've done entire sections of moto race leathers with it and the results were fantastic and durable.

The big key with using leather paint is to get the right gloss, as it is often really shiny and it's important to test different finishes to get the look you want.

If I were doing the stripe, I'd be using acrylic leather paint to do it. But I'm talking about a leather wheel obviously, not alcantara.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:42 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Red acrylic leather paint would cover black in one coat easily. I've done entire sections of moto race leathers with it and the results were fantastic and durable.

The big key with using leather paint is to get the right gloss, as it is often really shiny and it's important to test different finishes to get the look you want.

If I were doing the stripe, I'd be using acrylic leather paint to do it. But I'm talking about a leather wheel obviously, not alcantara.
Is the acrylic paint reversible?
Old 09-01-2016, 03:00 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Acrylic paints do tend to be shiny and that would not match. I use water based automotive dyes in my business and they clean up easily if you were over spray something. Also they are pretty durable but is possible to stripe off. These dyes I use would take a grey base coat or might look dark over black.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:57 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With age, I think the red fiber tape looks better and better. It contours nicely and its color isn't so bright to grab attention. Name:  photo697.jpg
Views: 6591
Size:  1.69 MB
Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
With age, I think the red fiber tape looks better and better. It contours nicely and its color isn't so bright to grab attention. Attachment 1085899
That does look really good.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Is the acrylic paint reversible?
Not sure if you could peel if off or not. I'd test it on something else before hand.

If I were doing the stripe, I'd be doing a matte finish acrylic paint. If you have a remotely steady hand and a thin paint brush, it's very easy to be very accurate with it.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
With age, I think the red fiber tape looks better and better. It contours nicely and its color isn't so bright to grab attention.
absolutely agree. When it's too dark for you remove it and put another piece on. Not an factory option I would consider paying for myself...
Old 09-03-2016, 02:05 AM
MJK-PurpleRS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, buy an RS and you can have this delicious yellow center strip, look at how bad *** the inside of my RS looks, try to contain yourself!! And those aluminum pedals are so sexy!!!! And the White gauges keep me in check!! At night they have an orange glow. This weekend i will post my story and tons of UV-RS pics for all to see. Gotta get my work done first so i can save up for the next RS. (3 muffler delete,sharkwerks center 100mm tips,tubi Style straight pipes. It sounds amazing!!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Top center marker on steering wheel