Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satin full body clear bra wrap on Rhodium Silver GT3 (by request)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:50 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

looks so perfect, love the satin clear
Old 03-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Update on Xpel Stealth:

Rich swung by today to have us take a look at a few marks in the film. He believed them to be stained spots in the film. After cleaning and inspecting with a microscope, we saw that it was a few impact marks where debris created small scuffs. These scuff marks were similar to ones that were on Rich's glossy PPF before but being a satin finish, these marks had a different appearance.

This car is enjoyed on the track and the film is doing its job protecting the paint. But one should also consider how the film will age for heavily tracked cars. Being a cosmetic enhancement and not just a protective one is worth considering.

One other aspect that can be considered is how particular your eye is. Because the film is bound to take the impacts that would otherwise damage the paint, something has to give and the film will age. This is universal for clear or satin film. But again, being as much a cosmetic modification as a protective one is worth giving thought to.

Rich's car will be at the Spring Smokies event. Anyone considering Xpel Stealth that will be in attendance will be able to view this installation in person.

Again, thanks for all the kind words folks. As the founder and owner of DDAS, it is my goal to discuss and be open about all matters in regards to nano coatings, paint correction, premium detailing services and paint protection film as I can be. All of this information helps our clients make the best decision possible when they visit us. If anyone has any questions, feel free to fire them off and I will do my best to answer them.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:13 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^You're a class act and I appreciate reading everything you post, all very informative.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:23 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let folks judge for themselves when they see the car at the Smokies, but IMO, you can see the abrasions from track debris much more easily with a stealth wrap compared to the ultimate. If I were to do the wrap again, I wouldn't go with the stealth given how much I track the car. I'm only sharing this for the sake of others who might go this route. My wife can't see what I'm even talking about, so there is certainly variation in the perceptions of this. Jean Claude has been great throughout this process, and I continue to recommend them highly. So no complaints there. I'm resigned to the fact that I am going to continue to abuse the car, and hopefully it will get to the point of looking like a leopard, or the "rat" wrap. Maybe that will increase the value.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rm21
If I were to do the wrap again, I wouldn't go with the stealth given how much I track the car.
That does not work for me. When you get your track car Rich. Let me know and I will get your gt3 in the shop and replace the pieces that have the questionable marks on them at no cost. I know how much you love the satin look and with a separate dedicated track car you can enjoy the satin look on the gt3 without worry of the damage heavy track use incurs.

In the mean time, enjoy the protection and know it will be addressed on the house when you are ready.

*update*
Xpel has expressed that they would like to help out by supplying me with the necessary film to address the concern.

This is not a case of just because the film took damage it is being replaced. The film is designed to absorb the damage the body would otherwise take and it is doing that. But I really feel Rich's situation merits additional attention and because I am in a position to do that, I will...and I am grateful that Xpel is supporting me as the film is not inexpensive. Rich has been wonderful to work for and I am pleased to go above and beyond to ensure he does not regret his choice. Replacing a few pieces of film once he has a track car to beat on can allow him to be happy about his purchase and keep the look he loves.

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 03-23-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:22 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
That does not work for me. When you get your track car Rich. Let me know and I will get your gt3 in the shop and replace the pieces that have the questionable marks on them at no cost. I know how much you love the satin look and with a separate dedicated track car you can enjoy the satin look on the gt3 without worry of the damage heavy track use incurs.

In the mean time, enjoy the protection and know it will be addressed on the house when you are ready.

*update*
Xpel has expressed that they would like to help out by supplying me with the necessary film to address the concern.

This is not a case of just because the film took damage it is being replaced. The film is designed to absorb the damage the body would otherwise take and it is doing that. But I really feel Rich's situation merits additional attention and because I am in a position to do that, I will...and I am grateful that Xpel is supporting me as the film is not inexpensive. Rich has been wonderful to work for and I am pleased to go above and beyond to ensure he does not regret his choice. Replacing a few pieces of film once he has a track car to beat on can allow him to be happy about his purchase and keep the look he loves.
Have you used the Premiere Satin Guard as well? I'm curious how the Expel Stealth compares in terms of stain resistance. My white R8 had the Satin Guard on it and the rear fascia of the car always looked dirty because the film picked up so much road stain. FWIW, I drove the car in the rain and snow, so that could have contributed to it. We could never get it back to looking new, though.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Have you used the Premiere Satin Guard as well? I'm curious how the Expel Stealth compares in terms of stain resistance. My white R8 had the Satin Guard on it and the rear fascia of the car always looked dirty because the film picked up so much road stain. FWIW, I drove the car in the rain and snow, so that could have contributed to it. We could never get it back to looking new, though.
No sir.

This specific Xpel Stealth wrapped car is doing very well with not getting stained as far as I could see when we inspected it yesterday. But, we also coated it and that will improve stain resistance.

Xpel Stealth has a 10 year warranty against staining. If I had to guess, Premiere has a warranty against staining as well. Maybe follow up with your installer and see if you can use it?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs

*update*

Awesome customer service!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:53 AM
ChaosHokie
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to drag this thread up from a couple of years ago, but how's the Stealth wrap holding up? I have a Rhodium Silver C2S that I'm thinking about wrapping in stealth.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChaosHokie
Sorry to drag this thread up from a couple of years ago, but how's the Stealth wrap holding up? I have a Rhodium Silver C2S that I'm thinking about wrapping in stealth.
Like any PPF, track-use introduces a far greater measure of wear and tear (same as with brakes, tires, fluids, etc.). But we ended up doing 2 more cars for Rich in satin PPF after the one featured in this thread. Both were tracked pretty extensively:

981:

Name:  jnHx67H.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  243.5 KB

991.2 GT3 along with a livery:

Name:  cmwohwC.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  184.2 KB

Name:  QgcTxsS.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  318.5 KB
Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 PM
ChaosHokie
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep... those cars are making me want to do the stealth wrap on mine. YOLO I guess
Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Has any done a matte PPF on Lizard Green?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks really nice...Im liking the yellow accents on the GT Silver GT3. I just got a GT Silver GT3...hummmmmm
Old 12-28-2018, 09:29 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChaosHokie
Yep... those cars are making me want to do the stealth wrap on mine. YOLO I guess
I am not a man of GT3-means but I did our Daytona Violet M3 shop car up in satin PPF. The wilder the color, the better satin looks IMHO. Here's a brief video explaining some of the nuances of satin PPF's affect on a paint color and a few glamour shots of the M3.

Name:  lVhzEU6.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  237.3 KB

Originally Posted by bli8
Has any done a matte PPF on Lizard Green?
I've not but if you call up a PPF installer, they should be willing to install a small section of satin PPF on your paint to show you how it looks.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Looks really nice...Im liking the yellow accents on the GT Silver GT3. I just got a GT Silver GT3...hummmmmm
I agree. Yesterday a new client scheduled with us for their February delivery with a Signal Green GT3 that has yellow seat belts and he wants yellow "rings" added to the spoiler winglettes. There is no chance it won't look amazing. And I think they look even better in person!

Quick Reply: Satin full body clear bra wrap on Rhodium Silver GT3 (by request)